• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Motivation help

A

Alittlelost

I'm having difficulty motivationg myself to doing anything with my day. Unless i have therapy or a pdoc appt i don't leave my flat. Even getting washed and dressed has become a challenge :redface:. I'm making excuses about attending voluntary work and meeting friends and am lying to family about what i am doing with my day. I feel bad about this, however i feel so unsociable :scared:. I don't want to have to make conversation with anyone, see anybody or even leave my flat.

Can anyone provide me with tips on how to get out of this mess. :cry:

Angels

Angels

sometimes you just have to force yourself. like literally throwing yourself out of bed like i do, force yourself to get up... drag yourself into the shower to wake up abit.. just try to keep up and going.. and once everything is out the way.. then sit and relax. its hard, but just do everything as soon as you get up. that way you can just spend the day doing whatever.
x han x

A

Alittlelost

Yeah maybe you are right, maybe i just need to be hard on myself and just do it!! My GP has been setting me targets, for example make sure i am up before a certain time, to get washed and dressed every morning and to meet at least two friends a week. However this isn't really helping me, the only one which i have mastered is getting up before 10 and thats not always every day.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Since I've been off sick, last September, I've hardly gone out on my own at all. I do get up at a reasonable time, but I find it hard to do everyday things like the housework. I don't even shower and wash my hair as much as I used to, I just can't be bothered if I'm not going anywhere. The only things I can find any motivation for are my music projects.

T

totty3478

I know what you mean, since I am in recovery now from my illness, I have no motivation to do anything. I only really have one friend that I see once a week and I am grateful for that but I dont really have anyone else to go out with. I havent had a girlfriend since I became ill 12 years ago and I just find it so difficult to motivate myself to do anything. I really want to be back to the person that I used to be, you know, happy and fulfilled, someone who loves life, but I just dont see how I am meant to do that, it is very difficult. I am hoping that in time I will become the confident person that I used to be but I just dont know.

C

coraline1664

I'm the same, depression makes this really bad... doing simple tasks feel like huge chores and it will take me all day to get the energy to have a shower. I couldn't care less about my appearance either (although I don't think that's always a bad thing). I find if I force myself into doing a task (e.g: the washing up) at the end I seem to have a bit more energy. If I sit down meaning to rest for about half an hour it'll turn into 5hours.

R

Roger Waldram

There is a theory that the 'energy-positive' emotions are interest, joy & excitement-the energy-negative ones are shame, sadness, depression & anxiety (Sylvan Tomkins). Anger can be negative if we use energy to keep it bottled up or positive if we vent it physically safely on objects not people.
If you don't want to go out use some step-aerobics on the stairs or a box. Do that daily & you'll produce endorphin, our own opioid, & the happiness hormone. Don't believe me -try it!!!
If you check out my 'Anomalous Experience' post on page 2 of this thread there's a link to my website that has loads of useful & practical self-help & motivational stuff to try.
Hope this helps a bit & it can be great to imagine how you would like to be & be doing in the future no-matter how far-fetched it may seem. That future-dream can lift your spirits & if you take 1 small step towards it-guess what you're on your way!
All the best,
Roger