Mothers Mental Health issues

L

LFCNZ

Hi all

I'm looking for a little bit of advice in regards to my mothers mental health issues and trying to ascertain what disorder she may have.

She's attempted overdosing numerous times since I was a kid, I'm now 47, she's 72, I've sort of gotten used to it over the years and I'm a bit blaise about it when ever she tries it.

I don't think most times she wants to die its just an attention thing.

She just tried again on Sunday night, generally she does this whenever she is feeling low and I or someone else close to her in her eyes reject her or hurts her in some way, in the latest case, we popped in to see the house we are building next door to where she lives, but said we couldn't stay for a coffee and had to go, which we did, anyway she took this as rejection and next thing was popping too many of her meds.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Surely if she overdosed several times the hospital must have had a psychiatric assement. She really needs to see a doctor if only to put your mind at rest

L

LFCNZ

Surely if she overdosed several times the hospital must have had a psychiatric assement. She really needs to see a doctor if only to put your mind at rest
I guess so, is this something I can ask to see? if she has a diagnosis she has never shared it with me, as far as I know its just depression, anxiety.

My sister was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, just before she killed her self in 2009, I guess I'm just wondering if my mum has the same thing.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Depression and anxiety are still MH illnesses and can be very severe at times. I don’t know a great deal about BPD but do know it can be brought on by childhood trauma. I think you need to have a discussion with your mum about what’s going on in her life and suggest she seeks treatment

Hellakat

Hellakat

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re going through this with your mom and my condolences for you sister. Like daffy said maybe she is already diagnosed and maybe you could sit her down and discuss it. I also have to say that no matter what your suspicions are don’t play Russian roulette with your moms life. Like you said it’s a pattern for her having attention seeking behavior but do you really want to take the chance that one day it won’t be. *BIG HUGS*

MeropeneM

MeropeneM

ACCOUNT CLOSED
What you can do, that would be reasonable, is to call her doctor and tell her doctor what you observed.

Last edited by a moderator: