• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Most heavily mutated Covid variant so far detected in South Africa.

S

Siegfried

While its way too early to know exactly what all these mutations could do, it certainly makes it possible that it could be even worse than Delta.

Worst case scenario, its even more transmissible and evades current vaccines even more effectively, which of course it would be immensely catastrophic, specially since against something so highly contagious there would be no simple, effective measures. The half assed lock downs most countries outside of China did would be rather irrelevant.

Of course, it could end up being nothing, time will tell.

Vandal_Moon

Vandal_Moon

ACCOUNT CLOSED
no simple, effective measures. The half assed lock downs
Nobody can afford any more lockdowns. we spent up all the money on the first ones.

and we used up all the mental health too.

so i guess we will just have to face reality/god/nature and quit whining

A

Anxietyhell

Most people will not be able to tolerate any more lockdowns.. Its unrealistic and impractical to expect it..

. The last lot has already done irreprebrable damage in more ways..

Covid/flu is here to stay, we just learn to live with it like everything else

E

Ele123

I don't think people will cope with anymore lockdowns. I think the human cost to mental health will be catastrophic . Businesses will go bust, homelessness will be at levels we've never seen.

Marmalade

Marmalade

It's rising most rapidly in South Africa - and although no cases have so far been seen in the UK, we have between 500 and 700 people coming into this country from South Africa every day, and that's expected to increase as Christmas approaches. The variant has more than 30 mutations - twice as many as the Delta variety - which could make it more transmissible and evade the protection given by prior infections or vaccinations. One senior epidemiologist has said "One of our major worries is that this virus spike protein is so dramatically different to the virus spike that was in the Wuhan strain, and in our vaccines, that it is a great cause for concern."

Okay... those are the facts as we currently know them. Whether or not we go into another lockdown is down to two things: the actions of the government, and the actions of the general public. On both counts, I don't feel any cause for optimism. The UK government has mishandled this abysmally from the start, as the recent report showed and as the forthcoming public enquiry with confirm: allowing people out of hospitals and into care homes when they were carriers, late closing our borders, late imposing lockdown, mixed messages throughout which left people confused. Then we look at the example people like Dominic Cummings and, more recently, Boris Johnson set, leading many people to believe that it's one law for them and another for the rest of us. I work in the social care sector and have witnessed some of the results of this appalling mismanagement. The charitable organisation I work for has been pretty good with precautions, but still infections have gotten through. Other homes in my area haven't fared so well. And then there's the public behaviour now - albeit largely encouraged by mixed messages from a negligent government: 'advice' to remain cautious instead of enforcement of precautionary measures like mask wearing and social distancing. I've stopped using public transport to go anywhere (I don't have a car) because people are now routinely flouting the mask-wearing precaution. Same in shops. People say 'Oh, but I've had all my jabs, so I won't get so sick.' That's wrong-headed. Having jabs doesn't mean you won't get infected. As everyone should know by now, masks are more effective at preventing the transmission of the virus from the wearer than they are at protecting the wearer from infection. So, if you have Covid and are asymptomatic, as many are, and you don't wear a mask in enclosed spaces, you pose a greater risk to other people. So it's either about ignorance, or 'I don't care' selfishness. One or the other.

Because of a combination of these things - governmental incompetence and people not giving a damn - I firmly predict that we will have another lockdown before next spring. And, as people above have said, this time it will do the damage. Yes, we will eventually come to live with it, as we do the 'flu - but that will inevitably be at the cost of higher mortality rates per year. And it will be society's most vulnerable - the elderly, disabled, people with underlying health conditions (like the people I work with) - who will be the victims. As a society, do we care enough about them? They don't contribute to the economy. In fact, we have to pay taxes to support them. So, is that what it's all about? The bottom line is: these are people, just like the rest of us. Mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, aunts, uncles, spouses, grandmothers and grandfathers. They are loved, and they have loved-ones. Just like the rest of us.

Sorry... this kind of thing really gets me going. Like you all, lockdown has really hammered my mental health. At one stage, I really didn't think I'd survive it. I still don't know if I will. One thing that I had hoped is that this would be the major event that would be our wake-up call as human beings - that it would show us where we were going wrong, and how 'normal' as it was (and what so many people seem to want to go back to) is what caused the whole problem in the first place. I thought this might be the moment for a major paradigm shift in our ways of thinking, organising societies, running economies, setting global priorities.

Sadly, no. I think it's just going to be more same old, same old. And more people will die.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I'm concerned. I hope we can get through this, together.

S

Siegfried

Unless I'm grossly misinformed the flu doesn't collapse healthcare systems worldwide multiple times through the year. So its less about learning to live with it and more about a whole lot more people learning to die with it or of any other issue that may come up at the wrong time.

But regardless, its no longer a choice of any sort, if this is indeed more contagious and more vaccine resistant than Delta then its over until second generation vaccines can pass trials and that would be months at best.

I think its going to be interesting seeing people crash against the reality that nature doesn't care about politics, feelings or anything else. It just does what it does.

Marmalade

Marmalade

Unless I'm grossly misinformed the flu doesn't collapse healthcare systems worldwide multiple times through the year. So its less about learning to live with it and more about a whole lot more people learning to die with it or of any other issue that may come up at the wrong time.

But regardless, its no longer a choice of any sort, if this is indeed more contagious and more vaccine resistant than Delta then its over until second generation vaccines can pass trials and that would be months at best.

I think its going to be interesting seeing people crash against the reality that nature doesn't care about politics, feelings or anything else. It just does what it does.
I completely agree. I wish I didn't have to.

Marmalade

Marmalade

So... now we have it in the UK. Only two cases. But then that's what we had in the UK when Covid first started: two cases on January 31st 2020. It was still only 16 cases a month later. Didn't look like anything to worry about. The rest is history.

LearntheEssentials

LearntheEssentials

Since the flu exists since almost 1000 years, this has to be an attempt
at suggesting that Covid is just the flu, like i've seen in many QAnon/Antivax Telegram groups.

"
COVID-19 and flu spread and severity
COVID-19 appears to be more contagious and to spread more quickly than the flu. With COVID-19, you may experience loss of taste or smell. Severe illness such as lung injury is more frequent with COVID-19 than with influenza. The mortality rate also is higher with COVID-19 than the flu.

So far, more than 38 million people have had COVID-19 in the U.S. as reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). More than 630,000 people have died of COVID-19 in the U.S. in 2020 and 2021.

By comparison, during the 2019-2020 flu season in the U.S., about 38 million people had the flu and about 22,000 people died of the flu."

Back to the Topic:
I've seen the discussions about Nu, but we don't have the numbers yet.
We can only wait and hope that it doesn't bypass the Vaccination's Immunization.

-LTE

A

Anxietyhell

I wasn't comparing it to flu in the sense it's the same, but in the sense it's here as flu has been for decades and here to stay

LearntheEssentials

LearntheEssentials

@Anxietyhell Thanks for the Clarification.
There have been these Arguments hidden in messages, so im quick to assume.

I sort of agree. I don't believe the estimations Politicians make ala "In year X, we will be Covid free".

I think we might be able to understand its inner workings and possibly prevent it from mutating in a bad way, but i think there will be always one or another form of the Sars Cov 19.

-LTE

A

Anxietyhell

Since the flu exists since almost 1000 years, this has to be an attempt
at suggesting that Covid is just the flu, like i've seen in many QAnon/Antivax Telegram groups.

"
COVID-19 and flu spread and severity
COVID-19 appears to be more contagious and to spread more quickly than the flu. With COVID-19, you may experience loss of taste or smell. Severe illness such as lung injury is more frequent with COVID-19 than with influenza. The mortality rate also is higher with COVID-19 than the flu.

So far, more than 38 million people have had COVID-19 in the U.S. as reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). More than 630,000 people have died of COVID-19 in the U.S. in 2020 and 2021.

By comparison, during the 2019-2020 flu season in the U.S., about 38 million people had the flu and about 22,000 people died of the flu."

Back to the Topic:
I've seen the discussions about Nu, but we don't have the numbers yet.
We can only wait and hope that it doesn't bypass the Vaccination's Immunization.

-LTE
My aunt had a kidney infection and was on antibiotics at home, she was taken into hospital and apparently had covid and was put on a ventilator - she was dead within the week...??? Lots of grey areas to my mind

A

Anxietyhell

@Anxietyhell Thanks for the Clarification.
There have been these Arguments hidden in messages, so im quick to assume.

I sort of agree. I don't believe the estimations Politicians make ala "In year X, we will be Covid free".

I think we might be able to understand its inner workings and possibly prevent it from mutating in a bad way, but i think there will be always one or another form of the Sars Cov 19.

-LTE
I agree! I am obviously no expert or scientist, but I think there may be different forms and we just have to accept its could be around for a long time...