• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mornings any good methods to deal with?

C

Caro5

Hi (like a lot of people I think) I find the very worst part of the day is almost always when I wake and have to overcome that mountain of getting up,and facing the day. I know that I won't feel better until I do get up but it feels impossible. I was just wondering what sort of strategies other people use that help them? It doesn't matter how bad or good my general anxiety levels are the morning wake up is always bad. In very bad periods the fear of it means I do not want to go to bed even though I am desperately tired.
Thanks
Caro

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
:welcome: to the forum Caro

My mood when I wake up seems to be either the start of a good day or bad day. I'm one of the people who get worse as the day goes on, on my bad days.

Is there something you could have ready every morning that you would love. Whether it's a TV program you have recorded, a bar of chocolate, a new knitting pattern or anything that could be the first thing you do that day and be something you love. Something to look forward to and treat yourself to, to say well done to yourself and then go from there?

Marliee x

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Caro5

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of friendly members who will be happy to discuss things with you and provide support.

I also have a lot of trouble with mornings, though it is depression that is at its worst then for me. I am looking forward to seeing replies to your question because I could do with some help on this too. I usually manage to get out of bed only when I am desperate for a cup of tea...

Hope you enjoy the forum. Sarah

life2live

life2live

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sleep till gone Midday and avoid them altogether!

C

Caro5

I wish sleeping late would work :) but apart from the fact that I have to get up to go to work most days it doesn't matter when I wake up I feel the same. I think it is to do with sleep flattening everything out and when I wake it's like BANG the anxiety and panic hits before anything else. I do suffer from depression sometimes too and that is also generally worse in the morning. I try to tell myself I am safe and do breathing and try not to think but it's none of it helping much.

snapshot

snapshot

I have the same problem w/ mornings - go from a sound sleep to high anxiety in just a few minutes. The nausea is bad getting into the shower and getting ready for work. I feel I'm going to gag when I brush my teeth just from the paste touching my tongue. It's such a chore every morning.

C

Caro5

Yes snapshot - I feel nausea and like everything is racing around in my head and I don't want to face any of it. I am not sure if work days or weekends are worst really. On work days I HAVE to get up and deal with it which I hate but on non work days it can take me a long time to get out of bed. All I want to do is go back to sleep and not wake up and not have to deal with feeling this way. I have strategies but they are strategies to get me through they are not solving the problem. I tend to feel better in the evenings and genuinely tired but I quite often don't want to go to sleep because I know how horrid it will be when I wake (like right now when I just managed to get as far as sitting in the edge of the bed)

tabbykitten

tabbykitten

When I have to face any task that is a struggle for me (it can include getting out of bed etc at times) I break the whole things down into smaller tasks as I find it easier to cope with that way. As I am a bit of a control freak I actually write every single thing down in quite minute detail.
Had a reasonable success with this recently when I had to travel across London alone. Anxiety, panic attacks and mobility problems were all factors. I carry a note book with details of what I have to do next - arrive Paddington, get to Praed St etc and add details as I go alone - turn left across station, find exit etc. I know it all sounds complicated but concentrating on the minor detail did help. Also I think accepting the “nasty bits” - panicking, gagging at the toothpaste (been there done that!!) where there is no avoiding.

Blimey does all that make sense?

In your case the list would start as “sit up in bed” “swing legs over side of bed” “stand up”. In my case the written list is part of the essential scenario. Might not be in your case but the breaking down of tasks could help. I notice you mentioned managing to sit on the edge of the bed a short time ago - well done!!!!!

C

Caro5

Thank you. Yes I do have strategies although I am not too good at the writing things down part. Tends to feel like an exam I think. I guess a big part of me is just angry at ending up living this way. I am working on acceptance and trying not to think too far ahead. It seems like I can deal with thinking and planning about things that will be happening in a few weeks but not stuff happening now. Like today I have to do some packing as I am going away for the weekend. I can face the driving no problem but the lacking, the lacking list, the shopping for food and the shopping list feel like huge mountains. It helps a bit to admit it all. Most of my work colleagues think I am a really together person - they have no idea how I feel inside and it's lonely isn't it. Sometimes I just feel so scared but it's non specific fear.

katya

katya

I've found something that helps me is having an alarm clock with a light on it which increases in intensity in the time building up to your set alarm time: the idea is that it mimics the rising of the sun, and gives you a more "natural" waking up.

Here's an example:
Sunlight

They can be quite expensive, but they're worth it in the long run!

C

Caro5

Thanks. I have thought about one of those and it's good to have personal recommendation.