• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

more than words

D

Dichoso

Do your voices speak to you with more than words?

When I say chair you might imagine a green lounge chair, or perhaps a wooden table chair. But if I could give you an image with the word chair, you'd know what I was thinking of.

If someone is saying chair, it's easy to ignore them. it's just a word. But if you were able to give the image of the chair you sat on at your grandmother's growing up, along with the feelings and memory of being there, it'd be much more difficult to ignore.

This is what makes my voices so hard to ignore at times.

Mine use words as an extra layer of communication, but sometimes the words can be dropped and we converse with impressions, images, ideas, feelings, memories, concepts...

I do encourage them to use words, because the direct way of communicating is much too intense for me most the time. Accusations can be hurled at me using my own memories, this is why you are stupid. this is why you are worthless.

You know?

Who else hears more than words?

C

calfellows

Solace,

I think that most of us are probably getting the same
thing you are, but most of us don't catch all of the fine
details. Lately they have been telling me that these
tricks/devices of theirs have become a part of them,
traits, markers.

I do a lot of related journaling on observations, and
many times they will give me just one sentence, but
once I start writing the flood begins, ends up being
several pages. I don't know why I bother with journaling.
It's a bit like casting pearls to the swine; and to zombies.
99% of my writing stays private, but I upload it every
night, religiously, for the G*ds. This stuff would blow my
children's minds, and so I hide it locally by storing everything
in a zip file which is renamed to a png.

Warm Regards,
Cal

D

dodecahedron

Solace,

What you describe seems to be like a natural course for the mind when at ease. Of course I might be crazy, but my mind drifts through images and memories, often pleasant, but sometimes painful as when revisiting a shameful choice in my past. I believe that most people experience this thinking to some extent, if there isn't commentary.

Of course they're telling me right now that "you dont have to....with someone else's problems..." so it's hard to know what to do about it.

T

terri

Hi Solace

Woke up with you on my mind. I think it's perfectly natural to see images of your memories, intensly as well, and have the feelings associated with those memories at the same time. I call it using my mind eye. I remember my mother in a rocking chair by the fire when I was a girl and she is laughing at something her friend and neighbour was saying, and there I am on the floor, 4 years old, trying to see up my mum's friend skirt to see what colour knickers she was wearing. I can still feel the embarrassment even now when I got caught and feel the shame of the telling off she gave me. Justly deserved as well!

I now use my mind eye imagining myself going to work, hanging my coat up in my locker and then moving into the kitchen to make myself a cup of tea. Then I skip forward and imagine myself getting in my car, driving home, arriving outside my house and going inside. It's almost like being one jump ahead of the voices. Another technique I used in the past when the voices were unpleasant was to try to ignore what they were saying, and I know this is difficult because they make you feel very afraid, but start counting until the fear subsides, outloud if you are on your own, or through thought if you are not, and I know this sounds daft, but this worked for me as well, start spelling words backwards, but spell them as though you were starting to spell as a child, like, r a e f, if you are feeling fear, and if the voice Shirley gives you any more grief, spell her name backwards as well. Don't bother if you make mistakes, just try it. Another useful tip is to have The Lord's Prayer to hand, written down on paper, if you can't remember it, and just have it tucked away in your pocket. Once again, outloud (and I know this sounds awful and should not be a cause for concern but there may be people who have a problem with you doing this outside your home) if there is no one around, but through thought if there is. Or just lock yourself away in the loo, do it there, until the fear subsides.

I hope this helps you. I've been puzzling how to answer your post, and just to let you know this worked for me.

I just want to add here to anyone who reads these posts it's important to keep away from any form of fortune telling/tarot/mediumship (we have enough to deal with without going down that route) paganism/occult/ohiji, witchcraft, and dowsing. Well that's my opinion and I hope it's respected.

All the best to you and I hope I have helped.

Must try to get back to sleep, work tomorrow and Christmas Party after. Green dress, headband with two angels on top, lol, at my age as well, black three inch stilletoes which I know I'll kick off as soon as I can because they 'kill'.

Loads of love

Terri x

D

Dichoso

Terri your post did help me. The spelling backkwards thing helps me keep my mind off of things a tinsy bit more when I begin to panic.

It helped me a lot thank you.

I do stay away from the occult and anything of that nature. I am a Christian. Are you? Just a question.

Reciting poetry is what I used to do a lot of when the voices were overly hostile. It helped me a lot. Reciting anything, either scripture or poetry just anything I could think of. Songs and hymns when I ran out, too.

T

terri

Hi Solace

I'm so pleased my suggestion has helped you. Those techniques I suggested helped me tremendously. Well I can't say I recited much poetry, but did have Dylan Thomas's Under Milk Wood running through my mind continuously for quite a while, and Be Still My Soul, my favourite hymn, was being sung to me by an angel around my head at the same time as I was listening to Aled Jones singing the song on CD. Now that was a special moment.

I wasn't too chuffed about War of the Worlds though which came through all the while in the year 2000, which just about drove me potty.

By the way, I often call my childish voices, imps, little devils, demons or even satan's children because at one time that was what they were and I was doing what they asked me to, like the blithering idiot I became. Talk about the voices being naughty and taking control. On one occasion I was cleaning under my bed and a childish voice said 'you will feel a prick' and I did no more than cut myself on a broken piece of glass under the bed. Another time, a voice said lick the carpet. Well I resisted the temptation to do that I can tell you. And what about the time they told me to pour water all over my settee: well my husband got a wet bottom when he came home. Oh dear, what had I done!! Then another time all the children were saying 'We are the poltergeist people'. Well, it did make me wonder because things had started disappearing around here. Then there was an occasion when sex was mentioned and I said, you are too young to be talking about sex, so a childish voice said 'let's talk about sausages instead'. That was at the time when all the angels were going back into hell to sort something out, all connected to the revelations you know. Well ...... that was what I was told!

Must tell you this, coincidence, spooky or just totally from behind the veil. My sister has passed away with cancer. In our local church a prayer was read out for her on Christmas Eve at 11.55 pm just before midnight mass. One of my other sisters was at her bedside and she had her computer on with music playing, we all knew she was dying, but her fight for life was so strong, and then at the moment she did pass away, my sister turned to look at the computer, and the time was 00:00, so now we can't quite make our minds up whether she died on Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning.

My sister was naughty in that she used tarot all the while, and this is why I am so totally against it. She went in to church on millenium eve and lit a candle for a man she knew at the stroke of midnight and who is still alive and a gust of wind came from no where and blew out the candle. If that wasn't a sign that it was wrong to use tarot I don't know what is and that's why I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

And yes, I am a Christian, although as you know, I don't go to church very often, (only twice this year) except to catch up on my friends and then don't take the holy sacrement.

Maybe one day I will return, providing they don't get me cleaning, doing the flowers, joining the church committee when I don't want to, doing jumble sales, or mashing tea for the homeless, picking people up in my car when I just wanted to take a walk in the sunshine on my way to church, and making me feel guilty because I would not do what they wanted. Plus they gave me no support whatsoever when I told a vicar I'd heard a voice from God telling me the devil was after me in the year 2000 and his reply was 'Thanks for that and why don't I book an appointment with our local doctor!

My son has bought me the budda for Christmas. He is sitting here on my table with his fat tummy, laughing, he's having a real belly laugh. I think the budda found something very funny to laugh at, just like us. What voice was he hearing, what vision was he seeing, what prophesies did he have (as if I didn't know) to make him laugh so much. Have we all gone thick or what? This man was treated with respect. What about us?

Take care,

Lots of love and laughter,

Terri x

D

Dichoso

Be Still my Soul is my favorite hymn.

I don't think my voices are evil. Not devils. We came a long way. What I try to do is be nice. I call them dear and love, and I am nice to them. It helps me.

I wrote out a long post but it got deleted! don't you hate that?!

T

terri

Hi Solace

What a coincidence, it's my favourite hymn as well. It says it all. And Deano, while I'm here, It's funny you should say that about the Beach Boys, because my brother is a big beach boys fan, he's been to Californ i a and he's forever singing yellow brick road, so why don't you swop him! ha ha xxx

Lots of lush

Terri xxx

Yeah Solace, that keeps happening to me as well, spend ages typing then everything disappears!!! Can't think Y ..... lol x

F

FRANK

For Solace

Yes, I hear more than words. I hear sounds associated with the
people whose voices I hear. For example, car engines starting
or car doors slamming, sometimes a truck or motorcycle engine in
the background. Sometimes water running or the clink of dishes
in the background. I have done some recording of the voices and sounds I hear with a rather elaborate recording setup which you can
see if you google "recording voices"; I have also designed a way
for dual monitoring of this recording system so a non-voice hearer
can listen in.

Basically, Solace, I know most of the people whose voices I hear
and have verified their identities in different ways. In other words,
I do not recognize my voices over the past 17 years as disembodied
spirits but as very real living people who also hear each others
voices on a sort of "party line".

This is my first post on this forum, and I would like to ask others if
you recognize your voices as coming from real people you may or
may not know rather than hallucinations??

T

terri

I don't think my voices are evil. Not devils. We came a long way. What I try to do is be nice. I call them dear and love, and I am nice to them. It helps me.

hey Solace

Long time now see; guess what we are having be still my soul for our sue's funeral dirge as she goes out of church in her box after funeral and then fields of dreams when we get to the crematorium hey. So long for now..... still haven't had that recipe for cranberry bread. I must now to Tesco's to buy some cranberries and some of that bread making witch which is crap for bread makers and give it another go ....... see you later

take care

Terri x just sounds delicious

D

Dr. Truth

More than more than words.

In the early days, the words thrown at me were insulting.

I am just a down to earth kind a guy, and so I don't have my head in the clouds and thus I also speak in a simply basic language rather than keep my nose upturned while impressing people with some fancy vocabulary.

Thus the words being thrown at me were words that I had never heard of before. I constantly had to use the dictionary, and back then I eventually ended up buying a Palm m505 such that I had an electronic dictionary with me at all times.

T

terri

Re: For Solace

Yes, I hear more than words. I hear sounds associated with the
people whose voices I hear. For example, car engines starting
or car doors slamming, sometimes a truck or motorcycle engine in
the background. Sometimes water running or the clink of dishes
in the background. I have done some recording of the voices and sounds I hear with a rather elaborate recording setup which you can
see if you google "recording voices"; I have also designed a way
for dual monitoring of this recording system so a non-voice hearer
can listen in.

Basically, Solace, I know most of the people whose voices I hear
and have verified their identities in different ways. In other words,
I do not recognize my voices over the past 17 years as disembodied
spirits but as very real living people who also hear each others
voices on a sort of "party line".

This is my first post on this forum, and I would like to ask others if
you recognize your voices as coming from real people you may or
may not know rather than hallucinations??
Hi FRANK

Bet we are not shouting your name from the rooftops!!

I say that because you are not only brill, you are amazing, you have actually recorded those voices and now lets hope Marius Roome and Eschur sit up and take notice of what you have said. No email address, hey!

Party line - and how - I had all my family through by the power of voices at one time, I now know by tantric, and it just about sent me spare because I had no idea they had no idea there was absolutely no kind of telepathic connection between us. I had no idea until one day I put it to the test by asking a family member what he was doing over in Slovenia by telethapy or thought power, while he was actually sitting in his classroom in England, when I was hearing his voice all the while, and also that of my aunt, who lives in another part of England. over in Norfolk. That was on the occasion when my ex was sitting in the sunshine enjoying himself with a glass of beer while I was running all over the place, up and down stairs, jumping over concrete, running around the vines, opening invisible curtains, now Isaacs candles, to save this gob darn planet erth. There they were, my family's voices, not a couple of thousand miles away hey, getting me to do snuff I didn't even want to do, to help save planet earth.

Guess, I'm just barking, hey, and how

that's all for now. Am feeling quite X because I got into a whole load of trouble by he who will not be obeyed for doing exactly as I was dictated to by those voices. No Slovenian farmer's wife involved hey, who's husband was following in Jesus's footsteps :sarcasm: who lost his whole family in one fell swoop by doing the same as I. Get Real everyone. The sodding zombies are taking over our muvver fuckin planet and the rest of the puppet masters are taking over the zombies. Saving the best til last. Well that's what they think, and there's stuff they don't know so et real planet people, get on your knees and start praying to our father in heaven, who has just appeared and he is a great huge angel with black feathers and/or wings, whichever he chooses. And you had better believe these words because they are entirely within our new Bible. (I bet this doesn't get posted - I do not play cabbage and drop any longer, I've had enough of doing that one and I do not mean Crackerjack.)

Frightened hey, read the fcking Koran.

So long

Terri

Don't worry intervoice - I have never met any of you, so there's no chance that you will get possessed by the zombies via puppet masters when I'm around, so no Maastrich for me. :Boo: You think that's not true, just take notice of the people around you and do not forget to look at their eyes, those people who do NOT hear voices, in particular. So long

Oooooooh, I do get cross xxx

T

terri

Hello Solace

Long time no see

how nice to have back on this ratheer wonderful forum... I have rather missed you. Do not take care, not unless you want to.........herri

lots of luv

c

T

terri

Hello Solace
what game are you on???????Long time no see

how nice to have back on this ratheer wonderful forum... I have rather missed you. Do not take care, not unless you want to.........herri

lots of luv

c

R

rabina

Terri,

I feel better; you inspired me to listen to "more than words",
excellent song.

rabina