• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

More than Half of UK Antipsychotic Prescribing is Not for Authorized Conditions

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
More than Half of UK Antipsychotic Prescribing is Not for Authorized Conditions

More than Half of UK Antipsychotic Prescribing is Not for Authorized Conditions | Mad In America

January 4, 2015

More than half of the prescriptions for antipsychotic drugs in the UK are being issued “off-label” to treat conditions other than those for which the drugs are approved, according to a large study published in the British Medical Journal Open. Researchers also found significantly higher levels of prescribing of the medications to poorer people.

The team of University College London researchers examined instances of nearly 48,000 people in the UK receiving antipsychotics between 2007 and 2011. Most of these people were not being given the drugs as treatments for schizophrenia, psychosis or bipolar disorders for which the drugs have been studied and approved by the government, the researchers found, but for other conditions, such as anxiety, depression, dementia, sleep and personality disorders.

“The prescribing rate was significantly higher in women than in men, and people aged 80 and above were more than twice as likely to be treated with an antipsychotic as those aged 40-49,” stated a press release about the study. “Those living in areas of deprivation were more than three times as likely to be prescribed one of these drugs as those living in areas of affluence.”

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I was shocked to learn that my Gran who has had Alzheimer's for the past 4 or 5 years now was prescribed anti-psychotics. Am not sure of her medication situation now. I know she often has lorazepam.

Thing is, she was never volatile. Back when she was still able to walk and talk, she used to get confused and think she was nursing staff (she worked at a home herself in her younger years), and would go around asking if anybody wanted a cup of tea.

Makes me angry that she was sedated with these drugs just so that the staff could have an easier shift.

I'm convinced they're prescribed for their tranquillising effect rather than actually treating anything.. mind you, that could be said for any cases in which anti-psychotics are prescribed - even for their 'proper' use.

shaky

shaky

I was shocked to learn that my Gran who has had Alzheimer's for the past 4 or 5 years now was prescribed anti-psychotics. Am not sure of her medication situation now. I know she often has lorazepam.

Thing is, she was never volatile. Back when she was still able to walk and talk, she used to get confused and think she was nursing staff (she worked at a home herself in her younger years), and would go around asking if anybody wanted a cup of tea.

Makes me angry that she was sedated with these drugs just so that the staff could have an easier shift.

I'm convinced they're prescribed for their tranquillising effect rather than actually treating anything.. mind you, that could be said for any cases in which anti-psychotics are prescribed - even for their 'proper' use.
I quite agree.
These anti-p drugs are often little more than sedatives.
Take away someone's enthusiasm, drive, motivation and energy and they won't be any trouble.