• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

More Resources for 'Schizophrenia' Recovery.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Unethical Psychiatrists Misrepresent What is Known About Schizophrenia

Unethical Psychiatrists Misrepresent What is Known About Schizophrenia

"Prominent psychiatrists are stating that schizophrenia is a brain disease like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, or multiple sclerosis.

These statements are disconfirmed by scientific facts: no neurologist can independently confirm the presence or absence of schizophrenia with laboratory tests because the large majority of people diagnosed with schizophrenia show no neuropathological or biochemical abnormalities and a few people without any symptoms of schizophrenia have the same biophysiological abnormalities.

People with schizophrenia do not usually progressively deteriorate: most improve over time.

Psychotherapy and milieu therapy, without medications, have led even the most severely disturbed individuals with schizophrenia to full recovery and beyond.

Many people diagnosed with schizophrenia have recovered on their own without any treatment, something never accomplished by a person with Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, or multiple sclerosis."

The Antipsychiatry Coalition

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Lowri said:
very interested in alternative ways of perceiving the experience of psychos My name's Lowri. I am a 32 year old female. I have had 4 psychotic episodes in the past 6 years. I have entered other world like states where I'm hallucinating. I'm currently under section for my latest psychosis. I'm being treated with clopixol. I came around about two weeks ago and feel better than ever. I have suffered from depression or negative symptoms of psychosis since my first psychosis. I don't feel depressed at all since coming around this time.

I am a creative soul and enjoy writing and doing art. I blog about mental health and write short stories.
Hi Lowri. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
bit off topic but i'm with sally army housing, though a large no of the homeless are mentally ill, it gets funding basically because it isn;t officialy for the mentally ill, same with samaritons though been a danger to yourself is a reason for sectioning under the mental health act it gets funded as it;s not officialy for the mentally ill, both charities get more than mental health charities

sums up the discrimination

V

vmjoseph

You can still take drugs that will help you to sleep and function and remain fine with schizophrenia! :welcome:

Last edited by a moderator:
A

arty88

Hi,

I'm very much against the advice put out on here, which strongly recommends people come off their medicine (anti psychotics) etc. It all shouts 'R.D Laing' and other anti-psychiatry proponents to me, from a bygone era.

I would strongly recommend TAKING MEDICINE if you are schizophrenic or experience psychosis as part of your life / illness.

It's a bit outdated. I hate to argue against the tide in here - and I am sure some people will flame me for it - but let me suggest the following:

- Schizophrenia isn't made up by psychiatrists to sell pharmaceuticals / control people....it does have a very biological basis. We know for example, in twin studies, that if one identical twin develops Schizophrenia, then the other has a 50% chance of developing it too. While we cannot confirm this with brain scans / blood tests etc - the same pattern of behaviour is observed.

- Schizophrenia therefore likely has a strong genetic component.

- Early Treatment leads to better outcomes - please research Early Intervention Services (I am one customer of this treatment - and now I am under general adult mental health care). This typically involves medication (atypical antipsychotics) and therapy.

- Schizophrenia itself may cause brain structural changes - i.e. reduced grey matter, enlarged ventricles etc. The evidence suggests these structural changes were discovered before anti-psychotics emerged.

SUGGESTION

Anyone reading this very popular thread should listen to both sides of the coin.

I am NOT a psychiatrist or doctor, but I can strongly say that I may not be alive today if it were not for anti-psychotic drugs. I DO want to come off them eventually, and I am sure there will be BETTER treatments in the future than anti-psychotics / neuroleptics.....BUT, A LOT of people in this forum really are better, feel better and function better where their schizophrenia is acknowledged and treated with such methods.

So please - weigh up both sides of the coin before you consider coming off medication on your own accord. I would strongly recommend as the 'anti OP' poster here, that the safest thing to do is to listen to your doctor!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
if it was a purely genetic illness if one identical twin got it both would get it not 50 50, and secondly drugs may control illness but they leave you in a half fit state that can be the worst, few employers will employ you and theres few jobs you can do, leaving you at the mercy of an ever more punitive welfare system, that expects you to prove 100% disability

having said that i've taken meds for 40 yrs i think i should have tryed stopping them before what some call addiction set in, even if there had been serious consequences however drs lied to me telling me i could lead a normal life, i don't think i have in any way

one young women i know, has ended up in hospital recently after trying to come off drugs, sadly the majority of people do, i do think big pharma as some call it is going to fund research into drugs that are in effect highly addictive whilst not funding research into easy cure as theres no profits in it

A

arty88

if it was a purely genetic illness if one identical twin got it both would get it not 50 50, and secondly drugs may control illness but they leave you in a half fit state that can be the worst, few employers will employ you and theres few jobs you can do, leaving you at the mercy of an ever more punitive welfare system, that expects you to prove 100% disability

having said that i've taken meds for 40 yrs i think i should have tryed stopping them before what some call addiction set in, even if there had been serious consequences however drs lied to me telling me i could lead a normal life, i don't think i have in any way

one young women i know, has ended up in hospital recently after trying to come off drugs, sadly the majority of people do, i do think big pharma as some call it is going to fund research into drugs that are in effect highly addictive whilst not funding research into easy cure as theres no profits in it
Hi!

I am not a biologist / scientist / doctor, but I have a rough understanding of the genetic argument for schizophrenia and disease in general.

If it were a purely genetic disorder - i.e environmental factors didn't play a part (influence of the environment - see epigenetics - how genes interact with external factors and are expressed) then it would occur in both identical twins regardless, as they both carry the genes involved.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. E.G you can carry the genes to develop skin cancer, but require the sun for those bad genes to be 'activated' or 'expressed' in someway. This principle applies to Schizophrenia too - in that environmental factors / external factors clearly play a part.

Therefore with Schizophrenia, you have a mix of environmental and genetic factors at play.

That is grossly oversimplified.

Infact, the current standing is that Schizophrenia may infact involve 8 different brain diseases, all with genetic factors involved.

My main point is it is dangerous on a mental health forum for there to be strong publication of one side of the coin (the anti psychiatry side). If Schizophrenia is as most scientists / doctors etc believe it to be now, with current understanding (although still limited) - it is a brain disease, with a genetic basis, that needs to be treated.

Medicine can really help. As someone who has only experienced psychosis in the last 9 years, I can only vouch for the newer atypical drugs on low doses, in combination with SSRI treatment + therapy.

I think it doesn't help someone in an acute state of psychosis, who may look online for help, to find a pinned topic at the top advocating that they avoid psychiatric approaches, medicine and so on.

What are the ramifications? Something very bad may happen as a result. People should see both sides of the coin, and quite frankly, I am all for the modern medical approach to treating and understanding schizophrenia and psychosis.

R.D Laing and all the anti-psychiatrists had their day over 40 years ago. Times have changed, and for new sufferers, I don't think this pinned post is all that helpful!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i wonder if you'd understand how i feel facing old age more poverty, with doctors in the past lieing to me and telling me lies or at least not mentioning that, just been talking to a women who was diagnosed schitzoprenic and is successfully off drugs, she's also long term unemployed incidentally

was reading new scientist in the library before coronavirus closed it, they reckon theres a p factor which infuences the chance of getting mental illness in general influenced by 100s of genes, thats not the same as they were predicting when they started mapping the genome they'd find the gene

i wonder how you'll feel at my age, having lost the most part of your life, living in a community that is only marginally better than the bin

i've also had problems with med refuseniks so can't say i approve of that either

A

arty88

i wonder if you'd understand how i feel facing old age more poverty, with doctors in the past lieing to me and telling me lies or at least not mentioning that, just been talking to a women who was diagnosed schitzoprenic and is successfully off drugs, she's also long term unemployed incidentally

was reading new scientist in the library before coronavirus closed it, they reckon theres a p factor which infuences the chance of getting mental illness in general influenced by 100s of genes, thats not the same as they were predicting when they started mapping the genome they'd find the gene

i wonder how you'll feel at my age, having lost the most part of your life, living in a community that is only marginally better than the bin

i've also had problems with med refuseniks so can't say i approve of that either
Hey,

I know it's tough. Schizophrenia, whatever you want to call it, essentially means a tough life from an early age. In many ways. It's horrid how it affects almost every area of your life - from social factors to general health and economic results.

I've been in and out of work since I left University. It's not been easy. I don't have a formal diagnosis of schizophrenia, but I've had a good taste of psychosis before.

I kind of want to avoid it developing into that life. So I work really hard to do everything I can to reduce those risks and improve whatever damage has been done.

The problem with a lot of people who suffer from schizophrenia, of which a large proportion experience paranoia, is that they naturally are fearful of what they perceive to be authority figures and people telling them how they should or should not live their lives.

In that instance, I imagine a lot of schizophrenics are very mistrustful of doctors from the outset. If you start to see them as partners in your recovery, rather than the harbingers of doom (as many seem to highlight in this thread) - you will find they are just typical Joe's that went to med school and really are in it to help you out.

So please give them another shot. My approach with my psychiatrist is to be very assertive. I don't obviously shout at him or be very blunt or rude. But I am very clear 'I don't like that side effect and don't think I can continue to take this medicine' - 'I am not feeling well but do not want to stay in hospital'.

If you give them reasons to section you, they will. So if you are threatening suicide all the time or threatening lives of others, then its only natural you might find yourself being scrutinised very closely by more assertive psychiatrists.

I'm sorry life hasn't handed you the best cards - and I know it from personal experience now. Only generally at the start of my journey still, or very little into it, I am worried a little about the future. But also very optimistic about medical advancements. We cannot embrace such advancements (new medicines, gene therapy and so on) if we evade psychiatry like this pinned post seems to advocate.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i used to get into arguments with the author of that pinned post your as extreme the other way imho, what did the alkys say on the bus if you accept psychiatry your under the control of the state, well when they're making a nuisance when drunk the state should get involved

but one thing they're right about it's control theres not much care.maybe professsipnals don't mean to but without resources they do case manage people

you may have family support or live with family so certain things aren'y an isssue at least to you get old and parents die

A

arty88

i used to get into arguments with the author of that pinned post your as extreme the other way imho, what did the alkys say on the bus if you accept psychiatry your under the control of the state, well when they're making a nuisance when drunk the state should get involved

but one thing they're right about it's control theres not much care.maybe professsipnals don't mean to but without resources they do case manage people

you may have family support or live with family so certain things aren'y an issue at least to you get old and parents die
Hey, yes maybe I do live a more comfortable life than a lot of people with schizophrenia and I am therefore protected to an extent.

I've been in hospital twice, once under Section 2, the other voluntarily.

Let me just say that in my experience, what I experienced of recent psychiatry is that if you genuinely are going to kill yourself, or you make it obvious you might harm other people, then that's where the government / state has to draw the line.

What world would we live in if we just let someone kill themselves if we knew they were going to do it? Something has to be done with that person, and the best thing for them is to treat them in a secure environment like a hospital.

Likewise, if we know that a mentally unwell person is at risk of harming other people, well, again we are left with difficult choices. We have to section that person, to protect them and the people around them.

It's a horrible scenario, but I think it's one of the most humane things about our law. It's not a nasty big conspiracy to control everyone or thought, it's just there are extreme measures for extreme situations like that.

That's just how I see it. I know you might feel differently.