• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

More harassment walking my dogs

PurplePrinny80s

PurplePrinny80s

I was walking my dogs on one of their normal routes (away from any trouble I've had in the past), which includes several alleyways between backyards. It allows me to avoid people and given my experience while walking my dogs, I thought I was doing my neighborhood a service. One of my dogs is scared of cars, another pees and poops on everything and it's better he does this in the alley.

Some teen or young adult came walking down the alley and said "here's a tip, you don't walk dogs in the alley". He wouldn't elaborate. It felt like a threat. I'm frustrated. I feel like shouting every time I walk my dogs, addressing all the issues people have with me and my dogs. With a megaphone. I don't know what else to do. I feel like they pick on me because I'm small, and that makes me even madder.

I'm probably close to doing something I'll regret.

PurplePrinny80s

PurplePrinny80s

This isn't even the only issue I had walking them this week. Some woman cussed me out under her mask about walking my dogs on the sidewalk she wanted to use, another lady screamed "damn dogs!" when they barked at her (I corrected my dogs of course and would explain that covid has made them excitable).

N

Nukelavee

Some people aren't happy unless they can make others unhappy. As long as you pick up after them, walk em where you want.

M

Mistral

Please, please remember not everybody loves dogs. I like them and have one myself. A dog barking at a person in a public place can be a frightening experience for most people. A dog barking at another person's dog can be a frightening experience for that person. Dogs pooping on a street, even if it is lifted up immediately, can be regarded, rightly or wrongly, by many people as a public hygiene problem.

B

Bigfoot

Currently, I have noticed people a bit more on edge; maybe because of the pandemic. We have a habit of reading too much into people's comments or take them personally. I'd be curious how many people complained about you walking your dogs versus those that were indifferent or ok with it ?

PurplePrinny80s

PurplePrinny80s

Please, please remember not everybody loves dogs. I like them and have one myself. A dog barking at a person in a public place can be a frightening experience for most people. A dog barking at another person's dog can be a frightening experience for that person. Dogs pooping on a street, even if it is lifted up immediately, can be regarded, rightly or wrongly, by many people as a public hygiene problem.
People scared of dogs can say so and we'll gladly figure out a way to pass. I can understand my dogs barking scared her. It just added to my frustrations. As for my dogs going to the bathroom outside, that's part of living in a community. People create more pollution than animals. There's litter everywhere. I wish more people cleaned up after their dogs so I wouldn't get blamed for it.

Currently, I have noticed people a bit more on edge; maybe because of the pandemic. We have a habit of reading too much into people's comments or take them personally. I'd be curious how many people complained about you walking your dogs versus those that were indifferent or ok with it ?
That is not my problem. They have no right to lash out and I don't excuse it. And yes, I'm taking these comments personally. My animals are my kids. You insult them, you insult me. We do our best to stay out of everyone's way, cross streets when someone is coming, and be pleasant so people don't get the idea that my bullies are mean. Most people are indifferent to my dogs but it also feels like people go out of their way to harass us. Where do people find the time?

zula77

zula77

You've done nothing wrong. These people exist and make us miserable but we just have to ignore them. You should be enjoying your dog walks!