• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mood swings are driving me crazy!

E

en3011

Recently I’ve been feeling really overwhelmed with everything. I'm having really bad mood swings, one day I’m so angry to the point I end up breaking things or just snapping at everyone that speaks to me, the next I’m crying all day and then some other days I’m really hyper and I never know why I’m in that mood, nothing normally sets it off and no matter how hard I try I can’t seem to get out of it. I’ve been feeling like this for about 4/5 months now and it’s just getting worse.

I'm 20 and about 18 months ago someone assaulted me and since then I have lost everything.

I lost my job because I couldn’t face going into work after it happened and now I can’t seem to find another job. I tried going back so many times and I only managed to get to the car park and then I panicked and had to go home.

I lost all my friends because they weren't supportive and felt like they didn't care, my relationship with my dad is pretty much non-existent, he lives about an hour away and ignores my texts and calls, my relationship with my mum isn't great either. All I have is my boyfriend who I love so much, but I feel like he deserves someone better.

Every time I try to speak to anyone about how I’m feeling, they just seem to shrug it off as hormones and say 'You're a girl, it's normal' or they start telling me how their life is worse than mine which doesn’t help at all.

I honestly don’t know what to do anymore because I’m really struggling.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
have you tried tracking your moods? maybe a pattern will emerge.
who have you spoken to it about? someone professional or just friends/family?

In the Clouds

In the Clouds

I tracked my moods and I found it was usually the same things causing my mood swings so I dealt with the causes and now they're much less frequent/manageable.

I'd also just like to say that I know how it feels having bad mood swings and feeling like my boyfriend deserves someone better but just remember that he's choosing to stay with you throughout this, it's hard to convince yourself but you are worth it. :)

E

en3011

Haven't tried tracking my moods, any suggestions on the best way to do that?

And I've previously spoke to my GP but he just referred me to somewhere else and when I eventually heard from them I was feeling okay and didn't feel it was worth it anymore and everyone else just thinks I'm hormonal.

chazxxx

chazxxx

Some people are terrible at trying to help others, where the idea of telling someone it could be worse etc came from i have no idea. If your struggling then your struggling, noone has the right to make you feel worse by belittling how you feel. So although i know its easier said than done please don't let them make you feel worse. Everyone has a right to fee how they feel, treating you that way is just pure ignorance imo.

I've been through a stage of my life where i lost all of my friends too, for simular reasons. They didnt understand what i was going through and wasnt supportive. So i know how hard that is, and how lonely you can feel at times.

Have you recieved any therapy or counselling since the assault? I think this could really help you. They can help build your confidence back up. To enable you to get back to work, and hopefully support you to find new friends. Its wonderfull that you have your boyfriend around to support you, and i think because of the huge knock to your confidence your doubting your worth to him. He loves you or he wouldnt be with you. But i really think talking these things through with a counsellor or therapist will help you realise your worth.

Id go back to your gp and ask to be refered again. Our moods do fluctuate and if you do feel a bit better when they get in contact with you, this time round you know how your moods fluctuate so go along with it anyway. They still help you improve things that you want to change in your life and generally help support you.

Xx