• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Mood is slipping and I'm struggling

G

Greenbean99

Hello
Erm, not sure how to start. I'm in the UK. We're still in a state of semi lockdown with covid. I'm starting to get depressed again I think. I've had depression on and off for a long time and also ocd. I've been quite isolated with my mental health in the past. After many years I was just starting to to function a bit better, make friends and had just started volunteering. All of my routines have changed since all of the virus stuff started. Volunteering is indefinitely on hold. I've hardly been out since the beginning - covid has made me very anxious about my ocd getting worse again, so I'm scared of going out and doing anything. I'm starting to feel really low and isolated again. I'm crying at random times. I'm getting urges to hurt myself, (Am I allowed to put that here? I'm not sure if I need a trigger warning?) but am scared of needing to go to hospital because of covid. Everything feels really pointless and I've been hiding in bed. I was under the cmht but they discharged me at the beginning of lockdown. I've just got in touch with a counsellor on skype, but she doesn't know me and I'm not sure how helpful it could be. But at least it might be someone to talk to.
I'm just feeling pretty low. You know when everything just feels so unimportant and pointless and you keep crying? But then when I do try and pull myself out of the slump I just think of all the awfulness in the world right now and feel awfully anxious on top of everything!

D

Dice

Hi. Sorry to hear that you're struggling. I guess this thing is a perfect storm for many people with mental illness, especially those of particular kinds to do with anxiety and the like. Just remind yourself that it isn't going to last forever, it is only a temporary event, so you will be able to get back to things that help you in time, you just have to power through until then. Getting some support even if it's through skype sounds like a good idea, and just because she doesn't know you doesn't mean she can't get to know you. So I'd say, let her in and get some things off your chest, use various other means to build a routine for your days so that there is still some structure there, and to keep busy with tasks so you don't end up ruminating over things, and so on.

T

treasurebox

Whenever I feel down, troubled, worried, and restless, I listen to good and soothing music. Listening to good music daily is a powerful and effective way of getting over the negativities of life. I suggest you listen to the following songs:

Overcomer by Mandisa
Good Morning by Mandisa
Fearless by Jasmine Murray
Don't Worry Be Happy by Bob Marley
Happy by Pharrell Williams

You can all find them in youtube

Another important thing you can do is to switch negative thoughts with positive and good ones. Think of the goodness around you and the great possibilies ahead. Think that there will be better days. Enjoy every hour that you have even when there is lockdown. Do a hobby like cooking, baking, doing arts and crafts, watching funny films, etc. What are you good at? What do you love doing? It will do you good if you do it.

Exercise is one of the keys to wellness.
According to studies, exercise makes one smarter and happier. You may exercise like having a week, jumping ropes, weight lifting, etc. It is good to exercise with music. You may use the songs I listed as yout music when doing your workout.

Believe that you will think and be better and happier.

E

Eirlys

Hello
Erm, not sure how to start. I'm in the UK. We're still in a state of semi lockdown with covid. I'm starting to get depressed again I think. I've had depression on and off for a long time and also ocd. I've been quite isolated with my mental health in the past. After many years I was just starting to to function a bit better, make friends and had just started volunteering. All of my routines have changed since all of the virus stuff started. Volunteering is indefinitely on hold. I've hardly been out since the beginning - covid has made me very anxious about my ocd getting worse again, so I'm scared of going out and doing anything. I'm starting to feel really low and isolated again. I'm crying at random times. I'm getting urges to hurt myself, (Am I allowed to put that here? I'm not sure if I need a trigger warning?) but am scared of needing to go to hospital because of covid. Everything feels really pointless and I've been hiding in bed. I was under the cmht but they discharged me at the beginning of lockdown. I've just got in touch with a counsellor on skype, but she doesn't know me and I'm not sure how helpful it could be. But at least it might be someone to talk to.
I'm just feeling pretty low. You know when everything just feels so unimportant and pointless and you keep crying? But then when I do try and pull myself out of the slump I just think of all the awfulness in the world right now and feel awfully anxious on top of everything!
Hi, I'm also in the UK and finding the lockdown challenging on my mental health. Although it has been going on for a while this is a temporary situation and things will gradually return to normal. For going out, make sure to take extra precautions such as a face mask to help reduce your anxiety about contracting coronavirus. It's also really good that you're seeing a counselor on skype to help yourself. You could also research methods to reduce the urge to self harm online as i believe there are many ways and some might help you out. You will be able to get through this :)

G

Greenbean99

Thank you for your replies. Sorry for being super slow in replying back. The counselling - I'm not sure. It's kind of delving into things I don't think I have the head space for right now. I've been in touch with crisis tonight and they're going to come and assess me tmrw. I'm just fed up of crying and sleeping and thinking about hurting myself. I've tried so hard with 'skills' since the beginning of lockdown, but I'm running out of steam...

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Hello
Hi Greenbean99,

It's so tough right now, isn't it? I have been shielded through the pandemic and feel like I've literally disappeared from my own life. It does get lonely and monotonous. I also get anxiety.

When we get low, we focus on the negatives and that amplifies our problems. It's so easy to fall into a habit of absorbing negative news and not noticing the good out there.

The truth is, we have made enormous strides in suppressing COVID and keep making new discoveries on how to treat it. Polio, TB, Typhoid...they're all still with us but don't impact our lives because of vaccines and modern medicine. Life WILL return to normal and this state of hiding away is not permanent.

If you're home, you're safe. This virus is not airborne so you can move around comfortably at home and open your windows...it sounds as if you are avoiding crowded, indoor spaces and those are the risk areas. Try and relax and see your home as a safe haven where you don't need to hide away. Pamper yourself and try and frame this experience in your mind as a rest and recuperation break from the stresses of modern life. I've been reading free books online and learning how to play a keyboard from YouTube tutorials - things I don't normally have the time for.

Human contact is really important. If you have friends or family, ask them to give you a call each day so you can have a chat. If that's not possible, there are so many organisations that are offering telephone support to the isolated - I have been phoning people daily through my local church - have a google and see if there's anything set up in your area. I've linked some numbers which might help:

When life is difficult, Samaritans are here – day or night, 365 days a year. You can call them free on 116 123 or email them at [email protected]

For further information and support you could also visit Mind’s How to cope with loneliness or call 0300 123 3393

If you are younger and feeling lonely, you can call SupportLine on 01708 765 200, or the Calm Zone, which is a helpline offering support to men in the UK, of any age, who are down or in crisis, 0800 585858.

If you are under 25, you can also call Get Connected on 0808 808 4994

Most importantly - chat to us here. There are friendly people around 24 hours a day and we are all having similar struggles and experiences. Talking is everything - and we care.

Look forward to chatting to you :hug: x

T

treasurebox

Remember, your situation is not permanent. You will get better. You will think and feel better. Listen to good, uplifting and inspiring music on youtube. Music is therapeutic. It has helped me drive away my anxieties and negative thoughts.

One other thing that helped me too is exercise. According to studies, exercise makes one smarter and happier. We all need to be happy.
Get help as much as you can. You were made to overcome and to live a good life.

K

karl7

Hello
hi greenbean....i think it would be best that you get back in touch with your community mental health team and tell them how your doing......therapy will help you

M

Mert

hello Greenbean99,
I am so sorry you are going through such a tough time. I wonder have you gone to any onlline meetings? They help me with isolation since it feels like you are with the people since you see them on the screen. I go to 2 NAMI meetings a week on zoom. If you get the urge to harm yourself get help right away since that can be dangerous. A therapist you don't know is better than none at all. I would get counseling from them if it were me. Hang in there, things will get better. Mert :) :hug:

L

Lonedoc

It's sad to know u r struggling but it's good that u shared. I have depression and I m going through the same phase. I feel lk crying all the time and my family dsnt understand what is happening. I try to talk but they never listen. I have a kid. An adorable 9mnth old boy who becomes my only solace when I am down. But dnt worry lk every bad phase this too shall pass. It is just taking longer time. Dnt give up. Dnt ever give up. Even when u feel lk this is it I m done just think this is ur rockbottom. It will only be better now. We have curves and up n downs on our lives but we deal with what is on the table and we deal with it with courage. We cry we laugh we scream but we live through it. All the love from India