• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

mood diary

K

Kat667

Went to see community mental health team in town on Thursday. Doctor made urgent referral and questions were very thorough (they try to pin down just what type of bi-polar I have and make sure I'm not a danger to myself or others). Will have to keep mood diaries and then see a psychiatrist in a couple of weeks. They were really helpful, even recommended my husband talk to them separately which I wish he would, maybe then he would be able to accept that's it an illness and not just me being difficult/lazy/argumentative etc.

jax

jax

That's good that you saw cmht. I don't keep a mood diary but I did in the summer when I was unwell. Boy - what a shock I got when I read it just recently. I really saw how ill I was. Good luck with the diary. x

A

a_wolf

I just sarted one today on my iPod. It irritates me that it's not as intuitive as something handwritten would be, but it is infinitely more readable and organized. Also if it's not easy, I won't do it. A sad fact, but cest la vie.

dib4uk

dib4uk

Well i've been keeping a mood diary for about 6 months now, and its fair enought to say that my moods go up and down on a daily occurence and they are not stable enough. Its funny because I said that all along to my psychiartrist/gp/anyone that would listen to me, but by keeping it up to date I have proof that my moods are not stable and seek medical help.

I'm being treated for cyclothymia but have not been diagnosed as biploar yet.

Good luck with your mood diary and keeping it up to date, it does help when u read it back or just to keep an eye on your moods and how you are feeling.

K

Kat667

thanks for replies. I've been keeping mine up to date thus far.
Did a chart going back over 10 years and have read that about 4 episodes in ten years is normal, I only noted the worst ones and there were at least 18 very dramatic ones I can remember starting at age 22 or there abouts.

W

warriorprincess

concerned about what you said about your husband - he really needs to understand what you are going through. If he won't speak to a psychiatrist on your behalf, can you print off or show him a good website? google support for living with bipolar. Or maybe write him a letter you can explain what you go through a little and explain that you feel he thinks it's you being lazy or whatever, it would make the weight of this slightly easier to carry if you had some support from him and understanding.. I know that from my own experience.

yeh i don't get what they mean by four episodes over 10 years etc, I think i read somewhere once the average bipolar sufferer deals with around 6 episodes in a lifetime - i certainly exceed that on a yearly basis! try not to worry about that too much, just work with what you know you experience, they will be able to see a pattern hopefully.

good luck xx