Mood Chart

D

darkorchid30

Hi everyone, I hope you're all well :grouphug:

I've just been looking at a mood chart and started one. I think it might be a good idea as it will show how my moods are over a longer period of time (as mine tend to change - ups and downs)

Has anyone tried a mood chart and found it helpful or unhelpful?

Hugs and nice thoughts :)

Orchidxxx

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hey yes I have one that the psychologist has got me doing - on one hand I think well is this what it has come to and on the other hand I can see - well when it is pointed out to me that there are a few positives - very little steps but still something is better than nothing at all. So on the whole I think it is probably very useful at showing me how I am progressing and regressing :oops:

D

darkorchid30

Hi, thanks so much for your reply :) It sounds as if it's a double edged sword for you. I hope you find it positive for you, small steps, you're doing great and it's a positive thing being on here and getting and receiving support :D

Take care

Hugs and nice thoughts

Orchidxxx

Q

quality factor

Hi darkorchid,
In the past I have kept a mood chart and also tried a mood diary.
Whereas it showed up my mood swings and possible triggers it also had the tendency to focus on my mood too much if that makes sense.
In the end I was looking for things to explain the mood swings instead of trying to deal with them....it became a bit exhaustive in the end.
So positive and negative for me!!

B

binthair

Could I get one for my wife?

A lot of times I just don't have a clue as to what mood she is in!

:D

D

darkorchid30

Thanks guys, your imput has been really helpful :) It sounds like it could work for some but not others. So far I've found it helpful. I have noticed from doing it that my moods fluctuate even daily which I didn't notice before so I can show my GP to see what she thinks :)

Hugs

Orchidxxx

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
Hey yes I have one that the psychologist has got me doing - on one hand I think well is this what it has come to and on the other hand I can see - well when it is pointed out to me that there are a few positives - very little steps but still something is better than nothing at all. So on the whole I think it is probably very useful at showing me how I am progressing and regressing :oops:

Hi, really replying to the fact someone is seeing a psychologist. I am due to start with one in a couple of weeks and very scared. Can anyone tell me what it involves?

D

Dollit

I did a mood chart for about a year. It really helped my consultant and fixed periods in my head so that when we talked about them we could see where it tied in with my moods. I also talk to a lot of medical student and this really helps them.

What helped me was, as an ultradian cycler, was that I have been able to see myself cycling 6 - 12 times a day (absolutely exhausting) to settling down into the normal regions. This was incredibly helpful to see myself getting better!

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Hi, really replying to the fact someone is seeing a psychologist. I am due to start with one in a couple of weeks and very scared. Can anyone tell me what it involves?
There is a useful booklet which you can have a look at Marchhare - the thread is at....

http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3662

it answers a lot of common questions.

But going to a psychologist for the first time is always going to be a scary experience I'm afraid - or it certainly has been in my experience. The most important thing to keep in mind is that they are there to help you - I know that sounds stupid but it is easy to forget!!

Because there are so many approaches and because there are (as with everything else) good and bad psychologists it may that your first one doesn't work out - this is not you fault if it happens. The main thing is that you feel comfortable with, that you trust and that you feel helped by the person. It is unlikely that all this is going to happen at a first session - it takes time, especially if like me you are pretty secretive and reserved. All I can say is that for me it really is worth it if you can work through the initial awkwardness and difficulty and get to that level of trust and honesty with a good psychologist - they really can help.

Best of luck and let is know how it goes.

Nick.