• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mood changes bipolar disorder vs BPD

wraziel

wraziel

I read the differences is the timming, the BPD is more fast, daily hours, and bipolar disorder is almost monthly. Any comments?

G

Girl interupted

Two very different disorders. Where bipolar will experience great highs and great lows, bpd typically will only experience neutral and great lows. There’s rarely any highs.

N

Nukelavee

Unless anger counts as a high. A lot of the time feeling angry feels like a high to me - which is dangerous.

But, yeah - I don't get "happy" type swings.

sad_heart20

sad_heart20

bpd - anger
bipolar - mood swings

Alice Raven

Alice Raven

Unfortunately, I now have a personal basis for comparison. Long story, short, I had a friend who wanted to be a romantic partner who has all the signs of BPD. My SO has a family history of bipolar and shows a fair amount of signs of the disorder.

In my observations, my SO has a longer swing into whatever mood he's headed towards and there are clear and definitive signs of what will come. His high is edgy and anxious, but with unstoppable energy where he can't sit still, can't stop talking and constantly fidgets and tinkers with things. His high is also exceedingly critical and nothing I do is right during that time and I am the worst SO in the world. I call this phase the Crescendo of Doom. It usually crests with a blowup where he says how awful a human being I am and I finally bite back. Within a day or so he crashes into a depressive phase where he can sleep 18 to 20 hours a day for two or three days, is lethargic, weepy and remorseful. For him, this is generally a two week swing and then things may normalize for a month. I can see the phases coming a mile away now and I know when to accept a trip away from home for work or to stay in the office longer.

With my friend, when he made it clear that he wanted me as a romantic partner and would stop at nothing to make that happen, he began to show the signs of BPD. He exhibited extreme jealous, controlling and possessive behavior. He wanted to control what I wore, who I saw and when I went out. I would receive dozens, if not hundreds of texts, email, voice mails and videos from him daily, often throughout the night while I was sleeping. He became increasingly sexually aggressive. I'm very passive-aggressive so I began to rebel and do the opposite of what he demanded. Then, I began to see the snap mood swings that changed in a dime. He would try to be dreamy and romantic, I would say something he didn't like or do something other than what he demanded and boom, he would fly into a rage, screaming obscenities at me, threatening self harm or suicide and trashing his room. He sent me a video of him beating one of his guitars on the ground for about half an hour, it being shards of wood and plastic and strings for most of it, screaming, "you did this! You did this! Not me!" Another was of him punching holes in the walls of his house.

Shortly after the ranting, he would fall into uncontrollable sobbing and remorse which could last another couple of hours or so, followed by an inexplicable return to a dreamy, romantic state in which he would declare his undying love for me again. He tried to alienate me from my family and friends, but it backfired on him. He was also a bundle of contradictions. He could be shy and had huge self esteem issues, but was also more arrogant than fighter pilots that I know. He said he loved my independence and confidence, but demanded that I be his property and be broken in spirit. He had very little experience around women, but professed to be the greatest lover and how I needed him physically.

I told him that I often felt more like property than person and he seemed ok with that. I told him about his jealousy and control issues and he was fine with that. I begged him to go back to therapy and then I begged him for space, which just drove him to more outrageous behavior.

Anyhow, I think I've seen both disorders close up and those are my observations and opinions.

L

louise_louise_louise

I used to think I had BPD but its just depression with a fairly shitty childhood. I realised my mood was just low all the time so neither proved right

wraziel

wraziel

Unfortunately, I now have a personal basis for comparison. Long story, short, I had a friend who wanted to be a romantic partner who has all the signs of BPD. My SO has a family history of bipolar and shows a fair amount of signs of the disorder.

In my observations, my SO has a longer swing into whatever mood he's headed towards and there are clear and definitive signs of what will come. His high is edgy and anxious, but with unstoppable energy where he can't sit still, can't stop talking and constantly fidgets and tinkers with things. His high is also exceedingly critical and nothing I do is right during that time and I am the worst SO in the world. I call this phase the Crescendo of Doom. It usually crests with a blowup where he says how awful a human being I am and I finally bite back. Within a day or so he crashes into a depressive phase where he can sleep 18 to 20 hours a day for two or three days, is lethargic, weepy and remorseful. For him, this is generally a two week swing and then things may normalize for a month. I can see the phases coming a mile away now and I know when to accept a trip away from home for work or to stay in the office longer.

With my friend, when he made it clear that he wanted me as a romantic partner and would stop at nothing to make that happen, he began to show the signs of BPD. He exhibited extreme jealous, controlling and possessive behavior. He wanted to control what I wore, who I saw and when I went out. I would receive dozens, if not hundreds of texts, email, voice mails and videos from him daily, often throughout the night while I was sleeping. He became increasingly sexually aggressive. I'm very passive-aggressive so I began to rebel and do the opposite of what he demanded. Then, I began to see the snap mood swings that changed in a dime. He would try to be dreamy and romantic, I would say something he didn't like or do something other than what he demanded and boom, he would fly into a rage, screaming obscenities at me, threatening self harm or suicide and trashing his room. He sent me a video of him beating one of his guitars on the ground for about half an hour, it being shards of wood and plastic and strings for most of it, screaming, "you did this! You did this! Not me!" Another was of him punching holes in the walls of his house.

Shortly after the ranting, he would fall into uncontrollable sobbing and remorse which could last another couple of hours or so, followed by an inexplicable return to a dreamy, romantic state in which he would declare his undying love for me again. He tried to alienate me from my family and friends, but it backfired on him. He was also a bundle of contradictions. He could be shy and had huge self esteem issues, but was also more arrogant than fighter pilots that I know. He said he loved my independence and confidence, but demanded that I be his property and be broken in spirit. He had very little experience around women, but professed to be the greatest lover and how I needed him physically.

I told him that I often felt more like property than person and he seemed ok with that. I told him about his jealousy and control issues and he was fine with that. I begged him to go back to therapy and then I begged him for space, which just drove him to more outrageous behavior.

Anyhow, I think I've seen both disorders close up and those are my observations and opinions.
Thanks for your observation, very clever. I'm more like your friend, so I avoid to get a GF for no to detonate that.

W

WhySoSerious

The disorders are very different and shouldn't be confused though I can see why some would like Bipolar (BPAD) opposed to BPD because BPAD is treatable with medication.

BPAD has EXTREME highs - uncontrollable, disinhibited, delusions that you are a millionaire or have powers beyond other people's, grandiose and feeling brilliant - followed by feelings of severe irritability, annoyance and then getting into trouble.

BPD has some "high" like qualities but rarely have I met someone with BPD that runs around naked in the street, gets into tens of thousands of pounds worth of debt or gets fired because of their disinhibition. For example, one person with BPAD I know lost her job for sending a global email to the whole company calling someone a "fuckin n****r" and a "Pa**" with no prompting and this was totally out of character. This rarely happens with BPD - there is something fundamentally inhibiting in BPD that stops this out-and-out disinhibition. That isn't to say the highs aren't difficult to manage but I tend to see the highs of BPD being much briefer and less chaotic than BPAD.

BPD highs often seem "high" but are actually based on stress or anger. Intense feelings of being out of control or on the edge that look like elevation are actually intense anger.

N

Nukelavee

BPD highs often seem "high" but are actually based on stress or anger. Intense feelings of being out of control or on the edge that look like elevation are actually intense anger.
Based upon personal experience - this.

Where that overlaps, at least for me, is giving in to the anger feels great. It sheds the feeling of frustration for a bit, and feels pretty empowering. It's actually a misleading feeling, and leads to problems more often than not.

BPD does have issues with impulse control, spending, drugs, sex... but that's less because we feel, I dunno, liberated and strong/invunerable, more because we are trying to find some kind of release from the background stress.

Again, based upon my experience.

Rowan

Rowan

My psychologist referred to me as having bipolar disorder in our session the other day.:confused: I corrected her as I said I was diagnosed with BPD but she didn't say anything.

I had DBT for BPD ages ago, but I am wondering if I have bipolar or bipolar 2 as well. They haven't told me that I have. I am on an antipsychotic right now.

I don't tend to get depressed or feel sad that much. I usually have very quickly changing mood swings, happy, then irritable, then angry. I also get cyclical mood swings over longer periods. I felt on top of the world in the summer and I was going out a lot with nights out and to concerts. I then started to have panic attacks and intrusive thoughts in autumn last year. At the moment I feel fine.