• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Mono or Stereo

Finite

Finite

I am interested to find out from other voice hearers where you hear the voices coming from and whether they are in mono or stereo?

Most of the voices I hear are in mono, specifically in my right ear, but at times I also hear them in my left ear or in stereo. They tend to be more in stereo when they're further away.

When there are lots of them talking at once, it can be difficult to pinpoint where they come from, but I'm keen to hear about other people's experiences.

LadyDomino

LadyDomino

For me it varies depending on how tired I am. At present its a background stereo voice, though it will become louder as I get more tired.

At times it will come from my right ear (which feels weird as I have some hearing loss in that ear), and when that happens its alot louder.

S

SugarMountain

ACCOUNT CLOSED
When stress- left side 'outside'
Neutral- up (like 'roof')
Positive - inner monolog, dialog
But they are mostly left side of the brain as I think of it, or left ear (it is easier for me to say it like that)
☺

wollie

wollie

I'm copletely deaf in my left ear yet that is the side I hear voices, and they are all ways in mono.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Before anti-psychotics I could hear mine in my ears in stereo but not coming from any particular direction, now on the drugs I just hear 'him' in my mind where my own thoughts would be.

It's my understanding they can make it feel like they're coming from all sorts of places just by directing your attention to a particular place, person or item.

One person I spoke to recently said she could have sworn a towel was talking to her, it was pretending to be the towel and didn't know what it was for so she was explaining what a towel is for to the towel, she explained that it soaks up water and is hemmed so it doesn't fray, her towel was pretty upset at the idea of fraying lol.

S

SugarMountain

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sorry, maybe there is another term for this stuff i will mention, but do any of you, when in social situation have voices directed to people so it seems for you that they are talkin A when they are in reality talking B, sort of like messin coversations, but you are aware of it (not thinking they really talk A) - i ask for overhearing things that are not directly to you, passers by and such

Finite

Finite

At times it will come from my right ear (which feels weird as I have some hearing loss in that ear)
Thank you for your reply. That must feel really weird. I have some hearing loss in my left ear, which is why I assumed I tend to hear mine more on the right. I have never paid attention to how things alter when I'm more tired, but I will now...Thanks :)

Finite

Finite

When stress- left side 'outside'
Neutral- up (like 'roof')
Positive - inner monolog, dialog
But they are mostly left side of the brain as I think of it, or left ear (it is easier for me to say it like that)
☺
Thank you for replying to this thread. I know when I'm stressed they get louder and when I am very distressed I hear them more from the left. It's interesting how different people experience them differently though. I don't recall ever hearing them from above me, unless I am laying down :) .

S

SugarMountain

ACCOUNT CLOSED
When I hear it above it has to be a house or building with another floor above hahha

Finite

Finite

I'm copletely deaf in my left ear yet that is the side I hear voices, and they are all ways in mono.
Thank you for replying. That's interesting you hear them from the left, when you're deaf in that ear and they're always in mono. I would say 80% for me are in mono in my right ear, with the rest being a mixture of left ear mono and stereo. I wonder why the experience is so different for everyone?

S

SugarMountain

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Otherwise, when in the open sky, I would logically dismiss it. Dont know ☺

Finite

Finite

It's my understanding they can make it feel like they're coming from all sorts of places just by directing your attention to a particular place, person or item.
I have experienced that a lot, but more often with people than inanimate objects like towels. Thanks for replying :) .

Cyborg101

Cyborg101

I am interested to find out from other voice hearers where you hear the voices coming from and whether they are in mono or stereo?

Most of the voices I hear are in mono, specifically in my right ear, but at times I also hear them in my left ear or in stereo. They tend to be more in stereo when they're further away.

When there are lots of them talking at once, it can be difficult to pinpoint where they come from, but I'm keen to hear about other people's experiences.
Quadraphonic voices