• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Money doesn't necessarily make you happy but..........

U

urbangibbon

Money doesn't necessarily make you happy.

But if I am going to be miserable and anxious, I would prefer to have lots of it than none at all.

C

Callalily

I agree that you could have all the money in the world and be unhappy and have many stresses in the world, one stress you wouldn't have would be money though. I think to never have to worry about bills/housing/employment etc would be a great benefit to many people and allow them to direct their energies at looking at other things.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'd certainly be happier with more but of course there is always going to be the other problems that were there all along.....
I could buy all the posh chocolate and Starbucks my heart desired :love:

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I think it depends on the person. For some people money and a career earning loads of money is what they want and makes them happy. For others it's not about the money at all.
I will never find happiness in money but having loads of it would help against taxes, cost of living, etc.
True happiness for me is forged by bonds and connections to each other.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I think there was a time, when living a simple life was relatively cheap - but it is getting harder and harder. I am not fussed about being super rich, but I do have anxiety about living simply.

I do have things I would like to do in my life - but with time, the money will come I think.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Personally, I think the money can't buy happiness thing is referring to materialism and I agree that things don't make a person happy.

But I read a while back that buying experiences rather than things does generally make people happier. And to be honest, that's what i'd do.

I'm not interested in expensive gadgets or high-end labels.
I'd like to be able to experience more educational courses, workshops, travel etc.
If I had mega money, it would mean that I could give some to my parents - they could retire, my Dad wouldn't have to travel up North to work, they'd be together, i'd have them around more often.
And I do think that would improve my quality of life.

katya

katya

I agree that money/things don't, in themselves, make people happy, but I do think money/things is often a good 'lubricant' of happiness! Helps things flow and gives you more freedom to do what you want. I imagine, though, that a life filled with money and things, and nothing else, would be horribly empty and grotesque.

life2live

life2live

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Unfortunately its a necessary evil

blueflames

blueflames

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think it was george best that said ...

I spent most of my money on booze, birds and fast cars...
The rest I just squandered.

E

english rose

Where I live (small basic flat above an off-licence with nowhere to store anything, no garden, accessed via a rubbish strewn alleyway) depresses me; how I live (privately rented so not much tenure security) depresses me. If I won the lottery & could live anywhere I wanted then I would move to a detached house (then the constant noise from the off-licence's fridges wouldn't bug me) with everything of a good quality, with a nice big garden & lovely views, then I'm certain I would be a lot less depressed/anxious.