• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Modified Care Programme Approach

W

Wonky

This topic may already have been discussed on the forum, so apologies if that is the case. Also I'm no expert on it!

At the end of last year modifications were introduced to the Care Programme Approach. CPA has been around for quite some time and has been modified before. Until the end of last year there were two levels of CPA - Enhanced and Standard. Everybody under the care of secondary mental health services - on wards and in the community - was on one or the other, although lots of people were never told what CPA they were on or had the Care Programme Approach explained to them.

At the end of last year Enhanced and Standard were abolished. Now there is only one CPA, which is basically equivalent to the old Enhanced. Everyone else is "non-CPA", and that seems to mean that MH Trusts have a lot of discretion about whether they are going to bother to treat you (as opposed to just sending you back to your GP, whatever), what they are obligated to do, etc.

As far as I can see this indicates that MH Trusts have moved significantly towards just caring for those deemed severe and acute. If you are not deemed severe, or if you are no longer acute, it's probably even more of a lottery as to what help you will be offered.

All MH Trusts would have produced their own Care Programme Approach policy documents to bring themselves in line with government policy. Some MH Trusts may well be more inclined towards providing something for "non-CPA" patients than others. But you can bet your bottom dollar that any MH Trust under pressure, be that financial or whatever, will use the modification of the Care Programme Approach to get rid of "non-CPA" patients, en masse if necessary, when it helps them balance the books and steady the ship.

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
Thats quite scary. Is there anyway of finding out what any particular MH trust has decided on their approach with this?
m

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Thanks Wonky. Yes it is something that has been snuck in but will affect many people. Marchhare the best way to find out would probably be to approach either your LINk if it has an MH group or a friendly Service User Governor of your local Trust or an active SU group in your area.

Nick.

W

Wonky

Thats quite scary. Is there anyway of finding out what any particular MH trust has decided on their approach with this?
m
Yes, the Care Programme Approach policy of each individual MH Trust is an interesting topic.

I skimmed through the policy of my local MH Trust. It had an interesting bit about discharging patients. It said that sometimes patients may be discharged when their carers et al feel the patient is still in need of care from secondary mental health services. It then went on to say that sometimes patients will be discharged because it is felt there is nothing more the service can offer them or BECAUSE THEY ARE MISUSING THE SERVICE. It gave no definition of what misusing the service would comprise of.

I have never heard of patients "misusing" MH services. Has anyone here ever heard of that or knows what it might mean? The fact that my local Trust has incorporated this notion into their policy document and then failed to define it surely means that THEY can define it anyway they like and use it as they like to get rid of patients.