• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Mixed states in bipolar?

emski

emski

Does anyone have experience of a mixed episode? What was it like for you?

N

nattyone

i do but its confusing to explain. for example a month or two i was manic, head never shut up i made plans did stuff the house was immaculate , but i did stop and when i did it was like the previous hours hadnt happened i was thoroughly miserable. the only reason i realised this was because i read back on my dog training notes and i was busy busy , then i read back on my facebook and every post was about how miserable and bored i was.

S

skyblue

Hi Emski,

I've only experienced what I believe to be mixed episodes. Though sometimes it did alternate from being high in the morning to low in the afternoon or vice versa, or even by the hour.

Every episode i've had, I've needed hospitalistion because of attempted suicide and thoughts.

I have grandiose, sometimes delusional ideas, feelings of happiness, racing thoughts that are going way too fast, heightened senses, rapid speech, auditory hallucinations, visual hallucinations, seeing bright colours and am aware of everything around me.
I can then become so low, I keep crying and can see no way out - i'm totally lost. During an episode, my anxiety can become severe to the point where I'm so irritable, I sometimes self harm in attempt to slow my thoughts down. It then seems to go around in circles.

I think it's difficult to explain when it's currently not happening as I tend to forget, but this is what I remember mostly.

:flowers:

jax

jax

I have had many mixed episodes this summer. I was with the crisis team for 2 months and then ended up in hospital for 3 months. Mixed mood for me was - hallucinating with seeing the most amazing image of dust particles form into images to then crying to feeling so irritable and actually shouting at someone - something i wouldn't normally do. I could be self harming and when I went to the hospital to get stitched - be joking with the Dr as I felt elated. MIxed moods are horrible. I feel very confused - never knowing how I am actually feeling.

B

Blackholesun

I rapid cycle so I get caught in transitions all the time. One minute I am cracking up laughing at something stupid (like the most recent Ep of South Park, Scrotie McBoogerballs) and saying it over and over and laughing like a small child, the next I am crying my eyes out like thismorning.

emski

emski

Thanks for your replies guys. I seem to have had similar experiences to you skyblue. I don't think I'm experiencing mixed mood right now, not like I have done before, but I think it is more my anxiety, along with negative thinking, apathy and bouts of paranoia - none of the happy high symptoms.

I think when you have bipolar, and other symptoms of anxiety and things, then the moods get focused on so much and the anxiety and all that comes with it can be overlooked - least that's what I have found.

S

skyblue

Thanks for your replies guys. I seem to have had similar experiences to you skyblue. I don't think I'm experiencing mixed mood right now, not like I have done before, but I think it is more my anxiety, along with negative thinking, apathy and bouts of paranoia - none of the happy high symptoms.

I think when you have bipolar, and other symptoms of anxiety and things, then the moods get focused on so much and the anxiety and all that comes with it can be overlooked - least that's what I have found.
Hey Emski,

Sorry to hear you're not feeling so good right now.

I also suffer with GAD - Anxiety/Panic, it's just awful. It can be so severe and nearly always there, that it's more unbearable than Bipolar for me. Paranoia is a common symptom of Anxiety and low self esteem, when I feel really bad it triggers off my depression. It's horrible, i'm always trying to find different coping methods and remedies that may help.

I recently bought a mixed Bach remedie. I'm supposed to take it 3-4 times a day, the taste is just repulsive though, it has Organic Brandy in it,.. gross ! I'm also overdosing on Lavender Essential Oil, I believe it's helped alittle.

I wish I had some answers, but I'm still trying to find them myself. I'm currently looking into info on Mindfulness at the mo and I've also booked up an 11 week Yoga Course which i'm looking forward to.

Wishing you better Emski
xx

emski

emski

Thanks skyblue - I love the smiley too - wish I did have that magic wand! x