• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

mixed state

C

cc1984

Hi people,

could any of you that have experienced a mixed state please give me your experience of it. I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 in November and have been depressed for a year after prolonged hypomania. I have just recently come out of the depression and I have been feeling up and down but in what I would call I normal mood. However yesterday I started feeling really good and started crying. But crying because I felt good and I have been up and down since then. I feel really wired now but I don't want to be around anyone or do anything. I'm actually starting to feel a bit scared and out of control I've never felt like this before. I don't want to tell anyone I feel like this either I just want to ride it out if I can.

C

cc1984

Hey nikita, thanks for your reply. I'm feeling more relaxed now, I just feel wired. I was depressed all morning then it just hit me this afternoon. I don't know if it's just me going high or its a mixed state. It's scary because I've always felt in control before x

calypso

calypso

Admin
I agree with Nikita, you may need to ask for help. last time I was like that, the brakes were off and the depression meant I acted on it. I ended up in a police cell, they kept asking me what I had taken!

I also agree that sleep is often the key here. If you aren't sleeping, it makes everything much worse.

megirl

megirl

Definitely ask for help.
Good idea as sounds like if your mood is up and down you need someone to monitor this and treat you appropriately. And yes you need the support of a professional to help you through this.
And do try and nurture yourself and be around others who are positive and caring people,
take care x

P

Pemper

My mixed states tend to get extremely bad before they wind down, so I would not recommend trying to ride it out if you do not see things improving. I have been trying to ride it out for years and am now at the bottom of my rope with no job, no vehicle, no friends, no money, no place of my own. My life is big wreck right now.

For me my mixed states tend to include a lot of very intense and quickly altering sorrow, anxiety and anger. I have a very hard time sleeping because I feel so agitated and restless, but my body will hurt from being tired. I will start to feel like I am dreaming even though I am awake, the world does not seem real and I feel very confused, I have too many thoughts and cannot capture them for very long, I might have mild hallucinations. I also tend to get very delusional and the themes are often very righteous must-save-the-world in some way themes and by the end nothing makes any sense, even though I had felt so passionately and strongly. Everything feels very deep and important and as though everything is fated and connected somehow. I feel a great responsibility for many things far beyond myself and it feels very heavy and overwhelming. Often I will feel that my body and face are stuck and lifeless making me appear dull and far away, even though inside I have a very intense storm, I feel like I am screaming in silence.

C

cc1984

Hey guys thanks for your replies. Everything came to a halt on Tuesday I haven't been eating or sleeping much I feel like the life has just been sucked right out of me. I have just been lying on my bed staring into space most days and unable to concentrate. I also don't want to be around people and im finding it hard to think and talking is impossible at times like the words won't come out. However I don't feel depressed or happy just apathy without any mood changes so I have no idea what is going on. I have a psych appointment weds so I have no idea what she is going to say. I almost feel peaceful because I don't care, never felt like this before :/ xx

C

cc1984

Ok so I am back from the p doc she has prescribed quetiapine and citalopram anyone had any experiences with quetiapine. I've heard it's going to make me sleep a lot!

P

Pemper

Ok so I am back from the p doc she has prescribed quetiapine and citalopram anyone had any experiences with quetiapine. I've heard it's going to make me sleep a lot!
I think it's one of those things in life where you will need to take a leap of courage and just give it a chance. If after a few days you feel just terrible, taper down quickly and make sure to call your pdoc. If it just makes you feel very sleepy and groggy at first, I think that is pretty common. You could probably use the rest, too. You should definitely update us here if you feel up to it!

T

tiltawhirl3

quitepine can be very sedating but also helpful. It helps my depression & anxiety and works as an effective mood stabilizer. I still cycle but this prevents it from going too high or too low.

I hated it at first, but would not give it up now.

C

cc1984

Are you on extended release or instant? I've heard it can make a difference. I haven't tried the quetiapine yet I'm a bit scared to. I think the citalopram is starting to work though.

T

tiltawhirl3

I take 600mg extended release a bit before bedtime.

For me I need to go to bed then fairly soon after I take it, if I stay up I get restless legs.

It may just knock you out since it is new to you but in time, this passes, however I sleep deeply and well with it + trazodone which prevents night time waking.

T

tiltawhirl3

I am being optimistic for you. Do remember that effects are cumulative so that it may take some time to fully benefit from it.

calypso

calypso

Admin
It will knock you for six initially, but your body does adjust quite quickly. If you are in a bad state, sometimes meds are needed just to break the cycle and help you settle down. I'm in two minds about the long term benefit of meds, but they definitely have their place, IMO. Seroquel isn't just a major tranquilizer, it also has antidepressant and anti mania qualities. I'm on it and quite like it, not sure I like being on it forever mind.