• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Mixed sex wards

W

Windblows

Founding Member
Mentally ill patients 'at risk' on mixed sex wards.
Mentally ill patients could be at risk of sexual abuse because they are kept on mixed wards, said a report out today 30/01/2008 More information at: http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/information/news/?EntryId=53392&p=2

The QMC has mixed sex wards. There are separate dormatories but no real privacy. The male nursing staff have been known to make ill fitting remarks to the women as they get ready for bed. :redface:

Anyone have any thoughts about what might be done to improve the situation - because even feeling at risk is not condusive to getting better, is it?:confused:

W

Windblows

Founding Member
Ok it seem not.

A

Apotheosis

Wherever there are vulnerable people; there is an added potential for abuse; it is not necessarily potential male nurse to female patient; potential for abuse.

I was abused during my first section by male nurses, & I am male. Female staff also abuse male patients. I have seen a female patient attempt to stab a male patients eye out with a fork, a female patient terrorizing other female patients. I have seen other things as well over the years. I am simply trying to illustrate the point that abuse has the potential to happen under many different circumstances.

However; during all the time I have spent in hospital, I have seen remarkably little in the way of violence & abuse, considering. Apart from what I would see as the obvious - people locked up & enforced treatment often against their will.

I have been always on mixed wards; & personally I think it is healthier & more like a normal society; in which people can interact with each other & learn from each other. Segmenting males & females, for one, I don't think would stop the abuse of the vulnerable, but also it would I feel take away another piece of humanity from the already general stark & somewhat inhumane life of a psychiatric ward.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
To add to Apotheosis' point, the nurses can be vulnerable too. I saw a fairly serious assault on a nurse where he was stabbed in the neck with a sharp implement. Mind you perhaps they don't realise the full implications of holding people against their will, after all if you ask most of them they feel they entered a caring profession, not took up a job as a prison officer; amazing how much people can be in denial.