• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Mixed episodes

• Thread starter butterflykisses
  • Start date
B

butterflykisses

Can some primarily be depressed but then show signs of mania every once in awhile? I have the habit of trying to force mania to happen because I hate depression. I can manage to do that but it’s only very briefly and happens at the same time as I’m still depressed. But they are just manic symptoms that come and go... it has for the last week and a have or so. Would this be considered a mixed episode?

frisas45

frisas45

I think so. Manic episodes happening numerously from time to time, even briefly is called a mixed episode.

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

Yes, it's probably a mixed episode. You could have what is called atypical bipolar disorder (google it) where you don't get really manic but you get (hypo) manic symptoms while depressed. I get them too. For me it's only insomnia, restlessness and irritability. It feels more like a different kind of depression than like mania; not good at all.
I think it's what's left of what would be mania for me if I wasn't medicated.

B

butterflykisses

Yes, it's probably a mixed episode. You could have what is called atypical bipolar disorder (google it) where you don't get really manic but you get (hypo) manic symptoms while depressed. I get them too. For me it's only insomnia, restlessness and irritability. It feels more like a different kind of depression than like mania; not good at all.
I think it's what's left of what would be mania for me if I wasn't medicated.
Ya it’s only ever been hypomania. I have had full hypomanic episodes many times. But this just feels very mixed and confusing and isn’t stable at all. Plus, I think it’s also from my purposeful actions to try and cause it, but my body doesn’t want to be in hypomania right now. So it doesn’t get into a full blown episode, and I’m still depressed. It’s annoying.

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

I know, it feels horrible. The depression makes you exhausted but at the same time there's this negative energy inside your body that prevents you from sleeping.
Are you on any medication?
If you don't mind me asking, I'm very curious how you try to force a manic episode. Not sleep?

B

butterflykisses

I know, it feels horrible. The depression makes you exhausted but at the same time there's this negative energy inside your body that prevents you from sleeping.
Are you on any medication?
If you don't mind me asking, I'm very curious how you try to force a manic episode. Not sleep?
I have been starting on Seroquel and Lamictal. But skipped several days of taking it. The medication makes me more tired so if I don’t take it, I’m able to not sleep as much. Yes, with the forced mania; I sleep deprive myself, use caffeine, overuse my mood light (recommended is to use up to an hour a day, but I use way more than that). And I have random supplements that are meant for “cognitive enhancement” but I don’t actually know how well they work.

missylibby

missylibby

I was just in the hospital and the doc and I decided I was in a mixed episode. For me tho it's like i'm depressed as can be during the day, then at night time my mania comes out.

B

butterflykisses

I was just in the hospital and the doc and I decided I was in a mixed episode. For me tho it's like i'm depressed as can be during the day, then at night time my mania comes out.
Interesting. I’ve had similar experiences with a schedule kind of that as well. People say that mixed episodes are when mania and depression happen at the same EXACT time and that can be true but I think it also can manifest by happening within the same PERIOD of time like you described. Being depressed then getting manic all within the same episode. I’ve wondered a lot about that. Thanks for your reply!

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

I've read that there are three components to bipolar disorder: mood, energy and intellect. All three can have wave-like patterns. So your mood can be down (depression) while your energy and intellect are up (mania). There are, of course, more variations to this, but that's what causes the mixed episodes.

C

Chicago Jim

I’m in a mixed episode now and it’s not a fun ride. Heavy meds to bring on sleep and fight the depression. I’m experiencing panic attacks, frustration and manic energy. I wish you all well as I know how horrible this experience is.

B

butterflykisses

I've read that there are three components to bipolar disorder: mood, energy and intellect. All three can have wave-like patterns. So your mood can be down (depression) while your energy and intellect are up (mania). There are, of course, more variations to this, but that's what causes the mixed episodes.
This is an interesting concept. Do you have any resources or articles or books that talk about this? I wouldn’t mind reading more into it.