• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Mixed episode?

Beansprout

Beansprout

I think I'm having a mixed episode but have never known exactly what that is..
i know I'm depressed, I'm constantly low energy during the day. my thoughts are very fast and I'm very agitated.
at night I get crazy amounts of energy find it extremely hard to fall or get enough sleep. I feel paranoid...

I dont know? does anyone experience mixed episodes like this? if not what do yours look like? does anyone think this could be something else?

I do have Bipolar 2 and have gotten hypo manic many times before... but this feels new to me...

U

Underdog21

I experienced mixed episodes in Bipolar. I normally suffer from low mood, suicidal feelings, very agitated, racing thoughts.

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
I think I'm having a mixed episode but have never known exactly what that is..
i know I'm depressed, I'm constantly low energy during the day. my thoughts are very fast and I'm very agitated.
at night I get crazy amounts of energy find it extremely hard to fall or get enough sleep. I feel paranoid...

I dont know? does anyone experience mixed episodes like this? if not what do yours look like? does anyone think this could be something else?

I do have Bipolar 2 and have gotten hypo manic many times before... but this feels new to me...
This is very similar to what I experience on a regular basis, espescially the sleep part. I usually sleep maybe 2-3 hours a night even when I'm working. It's exhausting. I have seroquel to help me relax but I rarely take them because they make me so sedated.

Wishbone

Wishbone

This seems to be a bone of contention here on the forum. I, personally, don't think you know when you're in one in that you can't rationalise it and your insight is gone, and have no control over one, others think otherwise. All I can tell you is that it's the worst thing I've experienced: worse than any depression and I've been laid up with really long lasting, very deep ones many times. The internal agony of a mixed episode is unlike anything else.

Amazingly

Amazingly

Mixed episodes come in different ranges of severity.
Some are milder than others.
Mixed episodes are when one gets depression mixed in with some hypomania/mania.
One may feel low moods but at the same time may have more energy or rapid thoughts.
A mixed state is a bit different.
Usually one will experience full blown mania with a deep depression simultaneously.
I experience mixed episodes all the time.
Usually an antipsychotic is given alongside mood stabilizers like Depakote.
Antidepressants can make matters worse.
It’s best to consult with your doctor.

G

Ginger Kitten

It sounds like a mixed episode to me. This is either experiencing manic symptoms such as increased energy but with negative emotions like depression, or experiencing alternate moods, up and down, in short succession. Your description would fit into either category. Kind regards, Ginger

Wishbone

Wishbone

Mixed episodes come in different ranges of severity.
This is probably where I'm going wrong when I think of my own experiences. A mixed episode (mixed features) with hypomania and depression isn't going to be as bad as mania and depression, and even then the depression comes in ranges of severity itself and there can be psychosis on top of it all too. When I think of my worst I was clearly not hypo and mildly depressed, I was way out there and probably delusional too, hence why I can't get my head around some saying they can do this or that or the next thing. I should remind myself of this fact: they're not all the same. We are not all the same. And I should remind myself to shut the hell up too.

Beansprout

Beansprout

This is very similar to what I experience on a regular basis, espescially the sleep part. I usually sleep maybe 2-3 hours a night even when I'm working. It's exhausting. I have seroquel to help me relax but I rarely take them because they make me so sedated.
Me too. I cant take them at all really.
thanks for your reply

G

Ginger Kitten

UpnDown 1978, the sedation would put u to sleep, especially if you took seroquel at night. I hate this drug cos it has made me fat, but it is excellent for resolving sleep issues. Plus, the sedation usually subsides after a few weeks. Do consider taking it but discuss the sedation with yr psychiatrist, who should be able to get you on a suitable dosage. Best wishes, Ginger.

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
UpnDown 1978, the sedation would put u to sleep, especially if you took seroquel at night. I hate this drug cos it has made me fat, but it is excellent for resolving sleep issues. Plus, the sedation usually subsides after a few weeks. Do consider taking it but discuss the sedation with yr psychiatrist, who should be able to get you on a suitable dosage. Best wishes, Ginger.
I've been on seroquel for almost five years now. I have discussed it with my psychiatrist on several occassions. I can't take it regularily because of work. If I do I will oversleep and the sedation can last for hours after I wake up affecting my performance. My psychiatrist told me I should take it as often as I can but frankly it's not really possible when I'm working so I only take it when I'm off work. My psychiatrist know all of this but still wants me to have it as an option if I need it.

G

Ginger Kitten

That's a bit weird of your pdoc. I've never heard of Q being used as PRN like that, in the sense of on and off - particularly because it is such a powerful sedative. I take 200mg at night but can take 25mg as PRN when needed, but for a prolonged period of time, not occasionally. I can't see how your brain would get used to it, having it sporadically like that. I find the things shrinks do increasingly weird though, so perhaps it's not that unusual, just I've never heard of it. Sorry for misunderstanding your post: it read to me as if you were a new user. Regards, GK.

N

NSyncope

This seems to be a bone of contention here on the forum. I, personally, don't think you know when you're in one in that you can't rationalise it and your insight is gone, and have no control over one, others think otherwise. All I can tell you is that it's the worst thing I've experienced: worse than any depression and I've been laid up with really long lasting, very deep ones many times. The internal agony of a mixed episode is unlike anything else.
I'm still new here, so hopefully I'm helpful; but, I agree that you are probably experiencing a mixed episode. I have had many mixed episodes and agree with Wishbone that it is the worst feeling you could ever experience in your life. But I also don't necessarily know I've had one until after it has ended--it is so all-consuming while it is happening that I can't really think rationally. For me at least, I am typically in a depressive episode and the mania slowly creeps up until it is almost full-blown. I get almost zero sleep, have extreme racing thoughts/restlessness, severe suicidal thoughts, and normally continue into psychosis. All of my hospitalizations have happened following what I retroactively see as mixed episodes, so if you think you are having one I would strongly recommend you reach out to your doctors and support system. Good luck and my thoughts are with you! -S