• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mixed affective states

M

merci

Hi! I am new to the forum. I have been seeing a great psychiatrist since November, she diagnosed me with depression and put me on AD and recommended psychotherapy. I have made good progress since then but unfortunately this lady is leaving the country (I live abroad, where many expats live) and I have had to look for someone else, with the aim of continuing with the psychotherapy. I met a new psychiatrist today. After 40 minute interview, he diagnosed me with Mixed Affective States and prescribed a mood stabilizer. When reading the notice I was shocked to see that this is normally prescribed for BP sufferers. I have suffered since I was a young child having a father with BP and this is the worst thing that could happen to me. I believe I have a depressive tendency but I don't believe it is BP.
The question is, can a psychiatrist diagnose someone after one initial interview? I feel a relationship between a doctor/patient should be developed before diagnostic?
What do people think? This is such a complicated disease and I am terrified of being diagnosed with it. I have been through too much pain having someone close suffering from it. I am scared of inflicting the same to my husband and my three beautiful children.
Thanks to anyone who might be able to give me some support. Anything will be appreciated.

Kerome

Kerome

Hi merci And :welcome:

I think the validity of the diagnosis really depends on the depth of the interview and what was covered. It's not impossible for there to be a correct diagnosis after a 40 minute interview, but I can understand that you have doubts. Maybe it's more about the symptoms you describe having, than your relationship with the psychiatrist.

You can always get a second opinion from a different psychiatrist if it's that important to you.

M

merci

Thank you for your time! I actually spoke to the lady I used to see (it was her last day at work yesterday) and she said she didn't feel I was BP because the manic phases are not there. So not sure what to do.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AnxiousE Bipolar Forum 1
B Bipolar Forum 6
Falling_Fixation Bipolar Forum 7
B Bipolar Forum 12
S Bipolar Forum 12