• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mixed Affective Disorder

Sugar Coated Owl

Sugar Coated Owl

I'm not sure this is in the right part of the forum but what exactly is meant by mixed affective disorder?

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

I've just looked it up, it's to do with bipolar.

"Rarely, some people show features of both mania and depression at the same time. They are hyperactive while experiencing depressive mood. Such patients are said to have a mixed affective disorder."

I got this from http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/eop/disab/Bipolar%20Information.pdf

holymoly

holymoly

Yorkshirelass

Yorkshirelass

Hi holymoly,

Not sure if there's a good explanation of mixed affective disorder out there at the moment - that link seems to have been taken down, which is a shame. It's difficult to describe even when you're experiencing it.

Mixed affective disorder was my diagnosis for a while. I'm not 100% sure I understand it, but the episode I had was a combination of severe depression, paranoid delusions and manic symptoms all at the same time.

Wikipedia has a page on mixed states which is essentially the same thing: Mixed state (psychiatry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope that helps

YL

F

Fragile

What is it?

In my case, it's a incredibly intense and profound altered state of living. I feel endless energy rushing through my blood; a very unpleasant sort of energy. I can't sit still. I have to pace. I HAVE to do SOMETHING! F*ck, it's unreal! The saturation in my eyes becomes tweaked, so I can see everything in intense detail. Everything is intense and alive. Everything is also a cue - every object has some kind of purpose and meaning. Everything somehow fits together, and it all makes sense now...F*ck it all makes sense! I intensely need to be awake but I also need to end my life as a matter of urgency. I don't want to end my life though, because I feel so distraught. I could cry for days with how distraught I feel. If only I could lie down and get some rest, but I can't, because there's no time to lie down. If I go to sleep I will not wake up. Sometimes voices will speak to me, give me directions and instructions. ...Then comes the Olanzapine.

That about sums it up for me. :redface:

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don't know that the mixed part happens so "rarely." I've also experienced terrible mixed episodes with sky high energy but no fun. Dreadful anxiety, and highly argumentative. I was so terribly sensitive to noise and hardly slept. At that point I lived near a very busy street that was (and still is) notorious for "Sunday Nite Cruising." Loud engines roaring, mufflers popping, people sitting in parking lots with ghetto blasters blaring out insanely loud music. It literally drove me crazy, although it didn't bother my roommates at all. One night I went out on the street and started screaming at everyone to F-off. I used every profanity I could. I was a raving lunatic. And during that time I was quite suicidal, and fortunately I voiced this to a friend, who took from me all my sleeping pills but what I needed for a week or so. This was before starting quetiapine, as I resisted that as long as I could.

loulabelle

loulabelle

Mixed affective is basically a mixed as ppl have said u get symptoms from mania and deppression happen togeather, also i have to agree with spunky in the rerely comment its not that rare ive can an awful mixed state

D

darkatlas

Prairechick how did you get on with the quetiapine? I ask as my husband is suffering from a mixed state and has started low dose quetiapine two days ago. I know everyone is different nit be gpod to hear from some other people.