• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Missing my Nana.

P

Pffft

Maybe it is the time of year but, bloody hell, I totally miss her. The thought of not having her here next year and never seeing her or hugging her again is just so upsetting.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

Hugs to you, Pffft. I loved my Nan too. In fact, she brought me up (after my mother abandoned me) and she was an amazing person. I'll never forget her and I think about her most days. Sometimes, I think we need a time to remember people we've lost and cry a little, but I think of it as a celebration of their life and what they meant to us. It's good we don't forget.

Silver

Silver

Me too, mine was one of very few people who actually cared about me and listened to me. It's sad that people have to die but they do. I believe that i will see mine again one day.

M

mind_the_cones

Hi Pfft,

I miss my Nan so much too :( She died 5 days before my 18th Birthday... I don't cry very often, but I cried that night. And I have never cried so much as I did at her funeral. In hindsight, I think it might have had an effect on my exam results that year (was only a couple of months before exams)... And I have wondered if missing her contributed to the major depression I was diagnosed with over a year later (but started experiencing symptoms about 6 months on).

As a family (me, siblings and parents), we often travelled to London from Edinburgh to visit her. She lived in Canning Town (where my Mum was born and lived until she married my Dad, and moved to Scotland). It's strange, because Canning Town is one of the most deprived areas in Britain (I read in top 5% most deprived somewhere)... Yet I always felt really safe and at home there. I think it's because of how warm my Nan and her partner were as people. They let us do anything we wanted whilst we stayed there: play video games, watch TV, etc. They made up new beds for us everytime we visited. We were looked after as though we were their own children...

I know alot of the affection I have for her house and the area is nostalgia... But I've always been really close to my Mum (I'm like her in a lot of ways). So I'm really close to all her relatives. And when I visit London, it feels like returning home :) Someday, I want to return to London to settle and live there. Anyway, my Nan is the only person I have loved more than my own Mum. When she died, it felt like a part of my soul died too. And it had more of an impact on me than I realised... She died from Lung Cancer, after smoking cigarettes for many years. I am fortunate that neither of my parents have ever smoked, and so I haven't been brought up with them.

She might be gone, but she will never be forgotten. Rest in Peace, Nan. I love you, now and forever ❤❤❤

PS. When I was a child, I used to call her "Nannals". Preumably, because I couldn't say "Nan" properly. So that's what I remember her as. At her funeral, the coffin was accompanied with the word "Nannals" in flowers across the top...

M

mind_the_cones

I think what made it worse too was that I didn't expect her to die... She had sold her house (just before recession hit!), and came to live with us when she developed her illness. She stayed with us for about a year until she went into hospital. I knew she was unwell, but I never thought she might die... I wasn't that young, and her partner had died a couple of years previous. So I knew about death, but I didn't consider it a possibility...

If I'm unlucky enough to have a relative's funeral, I'm not sure whether to go. I remember my Mum saying I didn't have to go to my Nan's, but I want to pay my respects. I'm glad I did, but it was so painful I don't want to go through it ever again. And I wouldn't wish it upon anyone :( ��

M

Mastiff mom

Dear Pfft, I understand how you feel so much. My nana passed several years ago and it was a terrible loss. My nana was the only kind person in my life as a child and my gratitude for her will never end. I feel she is watching over me and that is a comfort. I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Sending love your way, Pfft. :hug1:

I'm sorry I don't really know what the "right" thing to say is in this situation. But be gentle with yourself.