Missing Mania

blamesydney

blamesydney

I've been working on getting my medication properly evened out for the past 11 years, as I have Bipolar 1. I'm on a lot of meds. Like a lot. Last stay in the psych ward (there have been 6 stays so far) I was on the most in my unit. Not very proud of it. However I've made a LOT of headway! Only thing is, my manic spells have been almost brought to a hault. I don't even remember the last time I've gone fully manic. My doctor sees this as a great feat! But now I'm just left with the crippling depression. I'd rather be manic then depressed any day, yet my doctor seems perfectly happy to keep me depressed as long as I stay away from mania. I miss my mania!

N

nightmare57

I totally get where you're coming from, I really miss my mania. According to my psychiatrist its not uncommon for people with affective disorders to miss the hypomania/mania side of the disorder especially if one has long periods depression or anhedonia. I had over a year of pretty severe anhedonia and I would have done anything to be hypomanic. I just glad I didn't do anything risky to push myself to become manic as for me I think the consequences of the mania would of had a much more severe impact on me long term then the anhedonia.

P

philips

I really miss the times I've been manic as well, in fact I've never heard anyone who's ever experienced mania/hypomania say that they wish they'd never had it! Yet in saying that I also know that all my psychotic episodes have happened while I'm manic so I can understand where my psychiatrist is coming from when they say I can't reduce some of my medication. Have you ever had periods where your moods are stable? Do you think you could talk to your psychiatrist about swapping or altering some medications to see if it'll help with the depression?

blamesydney

blamesydney

I really miss the times I've been manic as well, in fact I've never heard anyone who's ever experienced mania/hypomania say that they wish they'd never had it! Yet in saying that I also know that all my psychotic episodes have happened while I'm manic so I can understand where my psychiatrist is coming from when they say I can't reduce some of my medication. Have you ever had periods where your moods are stable? Do you think you could talk to your psychiatrist about swapping or altering some medications to see if it'll help with the depression?
I get brief periods of normalcy, I'm start to feel a manic episode coming on slightly, and then BOOM right back down to depression. I know that this is a really good accomplishment as far as pushing myself towards more normalcy, but the depression is too much. Next appointment I'm going to push doing something about the depression. Idk if that means upping what I'm on or adding another but at this point, amount of meds is not my main concern!