Missing all major life milestones

S

SSar

I’m 33, female, single, and never been married. No kids. No house. No 4 year college degree. Most of the time I accept that my path is different. But some days it’s really hard to accept. You see your peers experiencing all of the major milestones in life one is “supposed” to have in this society. I can’t even have a normal day or a normal relationship. Its a lot of work to constantly manage my symptoms. I have depression, anxiety, ADHD, and borderline personality disorder. I find success and happiness in little things each day in my own way. But I think it’s hard that the majority of this society gets to celebrate events together, like marriage and kids. And I’m out here on the outside wanting to connect to this society but it’s hard feeling so alone out here. Who do I celebrate with? Who can I tell my little victories to each day? (which sometimes is just staying awake.) Lonelier still, is my own lack of self acceptance in that I am truly a person with mental illness. All my life I’ve tried so hard to appear normal. I’ve desperately tried to be like everyone else. This constant rejection of my true self leaves me feeling very sad and alone. But to truly accept my path and that my brain is different, my journey is different, my place in this world is different... How do I do it? I know a perspective shift is needed. But it’s so hard. I don’t need advice, I just need people that understand that feeling of being alienated, left out, different, etc.

Valka

Valka

Hi Sarasaraanne, welcome to the forum.
I'm sure you'll find quite a few people who can understand how you feel here, myself included. Sometimes just sharing and venting can really help and this is a great place to do it. :hug:

camrosescott

camrosescott

If you can celebrate the "little things" then you are at least on the way to some sort of "recovery". You have to accept yourself as you are, warts and all, before you can hope to present yourself to others. Like many on here I totally identify with presenting to others as what they perceive to be normal. Please don't reject your true self, that means something I can't describe but is so sad. ( believe me I know sad)

Hopefully you'll find people on here who totally get you. I'm available to just shout at or moan at with no judgement whatso ever.