• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

miserable and desperate

S

sarahbelle

hi,

i have a bit of an obssesive thing going on.
i used to cut myself to cope, now for the last few years ive been picking my skin, anywhere i feel a difference in texture or any irregularity i have to pick it.
my scalp is the worst, after i was diagnosed with alopecia 4 years ago i got in to feeling for bald spots, this gradually turned into picking my head so much it bled, it more or less went away after about a year, but now its back and im feeling so helpless, i just cant stop doing it, even while im doing it im saying to myself "stop" but i tell myself just one more minute, and then it turns into literaly hours of often intense and zoned out scratting. its getting infected cos i cant stop touching it once i have made it bleed, the pain seems to soothe me somewhat, and stimulate me at the same time.

i feel like im losing my mind

please anyone who can shed anylight to me id really appreciate it. im too embarressed to talk to my doctor :(

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Hiya,

I ve SH for a couple of years now and even now although it significantly reduced I find the scars left difficult to leave alone even though I know they re not going to look anybetter, I find moisturising them it a way of acknowledging them rather than ignoring them and is a bit better than hurting myself even more.

I find SH really soothing and a thought clearer but I know in the long term its not healthy but I do find it a constant battle. If you want to PM for a chat feel free :D

T

Twylight

please please talk to a GP

I've come across this before and it is not uncommon, and it is recognised by the medical world.

S

sarahbelle

thanks for the replies, its reasuring to hear its recognised medically

anytips on how to broach the subject, i just get all flustered and tend to clam up at the docs.

Q

quality factor

I know what you mean about picking things until they bleed, I've been doing a lot of it including SH over the past two weeks mainly I think cos I'm highly stressed/angry and in some ways doing that relieves the intense feelings.
You need to talk with your GP as already suggested, you obviously don't want to get a bad infection.
I tend to write what I want to say to the doctor on paper then I can fall back on it if necessary. You could perhaps,copy your post out and give that to the doctor as a starting point.

Good luck!

T

Twylight

Yep, before an appointment with a GP, write down all the relevant details to refer to:
In this instance honestly is the best policy
Don't worry they are proffesionals and they will have already heard whatever you tell them.

T

tanya

Yep, before an appointment with a GP, write down all the relevant details to refer to:
In this instance honestly is the best policy
Don't worry they are proffesionals and they will have already heard whatever you tell them.
I have done this until my head was red raw go to your gp they do understand I had to explain to mine the fact that i would drag the hoover up and down the stairs 36 times a day thought I sounded mad but ocd seems to come in all different ways I wish you luck