• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

miserable and desperate

S

sarahbelle

hi,

i have a bit of an obssesive thing going on.
i used to cut myself to cope, now for the last few years ive been picking my skin, anywhere i feel a difference in texture or any irregularity i have to pick it.
my scalp is the worst, after i was diagnosed with alopecia 4 years ago i got in to feeling for bald spots, this gradually turned into picking my head so much it bled, it more or less went away after about a year, but now its back and im feeling so helpless, i just cant stop doing it, even while im doing it im saying to myself "stop" but i tell myself just one more minute, and then it turns into literaly hours of often intense and zoned out scratting. its getting infected cos i cant stop touching it once i have made it bleed, the pain seems to soothe me somewhat, and stimulate me at the same time.

i feel like im losing my mind

please anyone who can shed anylight to me id really appreciate it. im too embarressed to talk to my doctor :(

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Hiya,

I ve SH for a couple of years now and even now although it significantly reduced I find the scars left difficult to leave alone even though I know they re not going to look anybetter, I find moisturising them it a way of acknowledging them rather than ignoring them and is a bit better than hurting myself even more.

I find SH really soothing and a thought clearer but I know in the long term its not healthy but I do find it a constant battle. If you want to PM for a chat feel free :D

T

Twylight

please please talk to a GP

I've come across this before and it is not uncommon, and it is recognised by the medical world.

S

sarahbelle

thanks for the replies, its reasuring to hear its recognised medically

anytips on how to broach the subject, i just get all flustered and tend to clam up at the docs.

Q

quality factor

I know what you mean about picking things until they bleed, I've been doing a lot of it including SH over the past two weeks mainly I think cos I'm highly stressed/angry and in some ways doing that relieves the intense feelings.
You need to talk with your GP as already suggested, you obviously don't want to get a bad infection.
I tend to write what I want to say to the doctor on paper then I can fall back on it if necessary. You could perhaps,copy your post out and give that to the doctor as a starting point.

Good luck!

T

Twylight

Yep, before an appointment with a GP, write down all the relevant details to refer to:
In this instance honestly is the best policy
Don't worry they are proffesionals and they will have already heard whatever you tell them.

T

tanya

Yep, before an appointment with a GP, write down all the relevant details to refer to:
In this instance honestly is the best policy
Don't worry they are proffesionals and they will have already heard whatever you tell them.
I have done this until my head was red raw go to your gp they do understand I had to explain to mine the fact that i would drag the hoover up and down the stairs 36 times a day thought I sounded mad but ocd seems to come in all different ways I wish you luck