• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Misdiagnosis?

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I'm wondering if my diagnosis of Borderline is accurate. With my history of going super high and ultimate low, with breakdowns, psychosis, hallucinations...isn't Bipolar more fitting? Could I be both? What's in a name, what's in a label? With the proper diagnosis comes the correct treatment (one can hope).
How can I tell? Any ideas?
Thinking out loud. :)

T

Ted_Hutchinson

I am not convinced that having a Diagnosis of Bipolar made any difference to my treatment or recovery.
I think CBT did start putting me on the road to managing the condition by implanting the idea that doing those things first that can be done makes a difference.
Getting on top of the seasonal nature of my depression (I was always worst in January/Feb/March) by raising my Vitamin D3 status with 5000iu/daily/D3 was a big help. I'm sure you know that most people with psychiatric illness have low 25(OH)D levels.

Sorting out my omega 3 intake (I now take 1800mg high epa omega 3 fish oil daily + krill oil + Linseed meal) also improves brain function as does

the 600mg Magnesium I take to help me deal better with stress.

I also take a couple of melatonin tablets at night to help me sleep better.

I think it's also worth knowing your brain functions better when burning fat than burning glucose. Dr McCleary makes a good job of explaining some of the roles of Vitamin D for brain function here. I don't think he explains about it's role in detoxifying the brain or dealing with inflammation but it's still worth reading. Although his book The Brain Trust Program is really concerned with preventing dementia it does explain what the brain needs in the way of nutrition, so he goes into great detail about eating for optimum brain health (which is what finally motivated me to change my diet and reduce carbohydrates) He's also very keen on physical exercise for brain health as well as mental gymnastics.

It was only relatively recently, when I started low carbohydrate diet, that I really felt it was much easier to keep my obsessive thoughts under control and keep my mind concentrating on what I wanted to study. Being able to think clearly, quicker and sharper has made decision making much simpler.

It does take time though to correct Vit D, omega 3, magnesium status, allow around 12 weeks to get to the levels that really help and I think it was only after a year of taking 5000iu/d/D3 omega3 magnesium that I really noticed I was experiencing less pain in my muscles & joints.

Last edited:
ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Now that's something to think about. :)
I had CBT 10 years ago, and the new treatment will be DBT and start in the near future.
Because of my hypothyroidism, I've been on a low(ish) calorie, low carb, low salt, low cholesterol 'diet' for 15 years. I was overloaded with magnesium when I was in detox for 4 months till they found out I shouldn't have taken it at the same time as my thyrax (lessons absorbtion). I'm B-6 & B-12 deficient, so I take those when I remember.;)

I'm glad you found something that helps you. Thank you for your reply. :flowers:

T

Ted_Hutchinson

Now that's something to think about. :)
I had CBT 10 years ago, and the new treatment will be DBT and start in the near future.
Because of my hypothyroidism, I've been on a low(ish) calorie, low carb, low salt, low cholesterol 'diet' for 15 years. I was overloaded with magnesium when I was in detox for 4 months till they found out I shouldn't have taken it at the same time as my thyrax (lessons absorbtion). I'm B-6 & B-12 deficient, so I take those when I remember.;)

I'm glad you found something that helps you. Thank you for your reply. :flowers:
Roseannster has good B12 information. Methylcobalamin is the natural form of B12, made by the bacteria that must form natural B12. It does not need to be converted and is therefore used more effectively.

B6 Food sources

Vitamin d insufficiency is often missed as they don't usually do 25(OH)D tests. It can be mistaken for hypothyroidism.

Last edited:
T

Ted_Hutchinson

And quackwatch is certainly not reliable.

One does have to use a little common sense and realise that for over 2million years our bodies evolved without access to refined carbohydrates. We have the same genes now as we did 10,000yrs ago before the invention of farming.
It is those foods that have been introduced more recently that are so damaging to our health.

We would not find doctors like Dr Dahlqvist, Dr Davis, Dr McCleary suggesting low carbohydrate diets for diabetes, heart disease and Alzheimer's if there was any doubt at all about safety.

The Benefits of a Low Carbohydrate diet

Heartscanblog See also his previous posts on wheat

and do spend some time reading what Dr McCleary has to say

Gary Taubes book is a very good (although somewhat long as he cites literally thousands of references) exposee of nutritional research. If you want the gist of it then listen to his talk here when you understand the science behind low carbohydrate diets you realise why they are best for brain and muscle function.

T

Ted_Hutchinson

Low carb diets aren't exactly healthy!
But Quackpotwatch shows Stephen Barrett isn't as squeaky clean as you might think.

You would not find Dr's like McCleary supporting low carbohydrate eating if there was any doubt at all about safety.

Taubes book The Diet Delusion goes into the whole history of nutritional research to show how we have been systematically mislead. You can get the gist of it here.

There is some good low carbohydrate information here. Second opinions website.
William Banting Father of the Low-Carbohydrate Diet shows low carbing has a long history.

Last edited:
ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
My diet works for me.....whether I'm bpd or bp or...:unsure:

You know? I wish my mental health problems were as visible or readily measurable as my physical problems. I would in general get more understanding & compassion from society if my leg were broken.
:mad: