• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Mirtazipine and returning to work...advice needed please

CarpeDentum

CarpeDentum

Hi everyone,

I've had a few days off the forum as I was having a few off days myself.

I just wanted to write a post asking people about their experience with Mirtazipine.

I am on week 3 I think now and whilst it has helped greatly with anxiety...I wake up and am soaked through with sweat to the point where I'm getting the wrinkly fingers you get when you've been in a bath too long (eurgh!) this could be withdrawal from sertraline though I have no clue.

But that's only a minor thing for me at the moment really, I'm struggling to wake up in a morning, for the first week or so I was managing it, but now I am struggling to get up before 10 o clock. I've experienced feeling drowsy and forgetfulness too...which I'm not sure whether that's just me at the moment or not.

Anyway I'm due back to the doctors on the 21st to discuss how I am getting on and at this point my fit note runs out on the 28th so I will be back to teaching then.
I'm really worried that I'm not ready to go back to work yet, I know I'm bound to feel nervous going back but how do I tell the doctor that whilst the anxiety is much better, I still don't feel that I'm functioning properly? Maybe I'm getting myself worked up unnecessarily here...it' just my first time with the whole sick note/fit note thing. I'm worried he'll just say: yep, you're fine, off you go.

Thanks for reading, any help/advice with anything on this post would be very much appreciated.
:redface::eek2:

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

i had a very bad experience with it. to me its like horse shite. long ongoing story.... s0rry but y0u did ask!

CarpeDentum

CarpeDentum

Hi blacksmoke, Well my curiosity has peaked with your response!
Can you tell me a bit about your experience with it? Pm me if you'd prefer.

B

billym4467

hi ive been on Mirtazipine for about 7 years on and off. i dont think its helping me but every other medication ive tried makes me ill and i always end up back on it.

i take it last thing at night as it helps you sleep, that also helps as it does cause some light headedness or dizzyness. its a sedative and in my case it does help, but i need something to liven me up a bit.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

i did a thread on should i be really scared and that covers it somewhat!
doesnt happen to everyone but it happened to me
here is the page i think!

https://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/thread138736.html

just dont want to go through it as it is still under review, there were other things going on but it does make me think and for it to happen twice and then lots of "episodes" off the drugs since feb and off supplements since july

CarpeDentum

CarpeDentum

Thanks Blacksmoke,
Sounds like a very difficult and scary time for you! I really hope you can get to the bottom of it and find some peace. Best wishes, CD :hug1:

When In Rome

When In Rome

Just been prescribed Mirtazipine (I don't know anything about it), the lower dosage, one per day to be taken at night, the GP thinks it might help me, also told me that Effexor is the same as Venlafaxine which I tried last week but had a bad reaction to.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

shit also.

seems to be the SSRI du Jour, but it has all the same negative side effects as the others if not more. IMHO.

S

sadgirl

I take mirtazipine at night to help me sleep it works for me what time do you take it? I take mine about 8/ 8.30pm and I get up at 6.30/7am with the help of my alarm clock

S

Stray

I found Mirt invaluable to help with insomnia initially but after many years on it alongside Citalopram and then Venlafaxine I eventually came off it as wasn't doing much as an AD. It's not an SSRI. Hope you find something that works for you, imo it's worth sticking with for a good while to see if it is benefitting after initial side effects. I hope you are not pressured to return to work too soon, I think you will know when you feel ready? I wish you luck xx

B

billym4467

ive never has any series side effects, i was put on it because id tried a couple of SSRIs and didnt do well on them. it has help me a lot especially with sleeping, but been on 2 long now. i take a split dose and it doesnt cause any drowsiness at all now.

A

Alanlow

I've been on so many meds over the years having a hell of a time finding anything that worked without major side-efffects. Mirtzawhatever (Remeron) has been the best by far for all my symptoms. Low dose = feelings of depression/anxiety gone, finally sleep at night, very minimum sexual side-effects.

Cons? For me, just like you, forgetfulness is big. I had to set up as many bills to autopay as possible just because suddenly I never remember to pay them. I forget to do some things I say I'll do, and so on.

Worst thing is my feeling of... well... nothing really. I feel bland a lot while on it. So I ask myself nearly every day: Do I want to be free of these horrible symptoms of depression/anxiety or do I want to feel "alive."

But different meds, affect different people differently. Give it a chance. I'm not sure if I'll stay on it, but I can tell you with certainty I will always keep some in the drawer in case I turn for the worst.

Lastly, if you drink, I'd strongly advise against drinking alcohol, in any amount. I had a little here and there, and every time, I ended up feeling way worse.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited:
M

Myrid

Hi, i was prescribed it a few months ago. The doctor told me it will help for depression, anxity and insomnia. i feel sadder since taking it, but i haven't had any suicidal thoughts on it. Which i did on fluoxitine. it has no help on insomnia on the dose im on which is 30mg each night. I tried taking 4 tablets one night and yes a higher dose works, for anxity it is useless. the 2mg clonazapam i am on feels like a wonder drug for my anxity but, the docotor refuses to give me 2 per day instead of just one. sometimes my days are stressful so i take one during the day to function. (bring around people) but if it's a stressful day i take one at night to feel calmer. and the days im without it are horrendous.

CarpeDentum

CarpeDentum

I take mirtazipine at night to help me sleep it works for me what time do you take it? I take mine about 8/ 8.30pm and I get up at 6.30/7am with the help of my alarm clock
My routine has all gone Pete tong with being signed off work so sometimes it's been as late as 11pm but last night I took it at 9pm and managed to get up at 9:40 which is an improvement.
I want to persevere with it as it helps me sleep and I think it's helped with a bit of the anxiety, but it is a funny one, I woke up again soaked through with sweat and tried to get up earlier with the alarm but it was as if my arms were gone, I was willing them to move to get to the alarm to press snooze. Going to try to get into a better bedtime routine to see if that helps but I'd normally be setting up my classroom at 7:30am so I'm a bit worried about handling that at the moment.

CarpeDentum

CarpeDentum

I found Mirt invaluable to help with insomnia initially but after many years on it alongside Citalopram and then Venlafaxine I eventually came off it as wasn't doing much as an AD. It's not an SSRI. Hope you find something that works for you, imo it's worth sticking with for a good while to see if it is benefitting after initial side effects. I hope you are not pressured to return to work too soon, I think you will know when you feel ready? I wish you luck xx
Thank you for your reply Stray,
I don't think I am ready to go back yet with the way I'm feeling and how I'm functioning but I'm scared to tell the doctor in case he doesn't believe me and sends me back anyway. I'm not sure how it works with a fit note from the docs (nhs) is it purely up to him or can I tell him I'm not ready yet?

Xx