• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mirtazipine advice

B

Berg

Hi all

Wasn’t sure where to put this but since it’s anxiety related I figured it would be best here, I have Bipolar (which in itself causes moderate/severe anxiety) and probable OCD/an eating disorder (pdoc is hesitant with this as wants to explore it before applying a label)

Anyway she gave me Mirtazipine which I’m happy with (mostly due to the amazing nights sleep) but increased the dose from 15mg to 30mg which ive recently began (2 days ago). I’ve had headaches since the increase and feel generally spaced out and a little ‘light’ all day. Some anxiety but it’s been manageable.

Does anybody here have any experience on Mirtazipine they could share with anxiety? Dosage etc? I know it’s primary an anti-depressant but my pdoc confirmed it can be very effective for anxiety and also OCD.

I’d just be quite interested in thoughts. I have noticed the increased appetite but I’m managing this well and haven’t gained weight.

Most of what I’ve read re Mirt has been in relation to depression.

Passionflower

Passionflower

I took Mirtazapine for 6 months for depression and anxiety. It did nothing much for anxiety apart from sedating the feelings away at night when I went to sleep. It didn't work on the anxiety in the day time. Mirtazapine was good for depression though.

87QuadRacer

87QuadRacer

I was on Mirtazipine years ago and it was one of the best meds I've been on...I struggle with Depression,anxiety and OCD (mostly ruminating Pure-O)...I've had very few meds that have worked well for me and been on many...It has been known to be great for depression and for me anyways seemed to work well with my anxiety/OCD.......I started on 15mg and over time had to move up in 15mg increments as all meds I've been on lose effectivenes over time and I end up at the max doses to remain stabalized...I was up as high as 60mg on the Mirtazipine

Hope it works as well for you as it did me...Only reason I had to switch is it stopped working after a number of years for me :(

As far as the weight gain my advice would be to take it rightbefore bed...Not sure if the med itself adds much weight but if you end up being able to stay awake longer after taking it craving sweets is not uncommon which is why I say lay down and fall asleep before the cravings begin lol

I

Italia2020

Hi. I’ve been on so many meds and nothing is working for me right now. I tried trazadone for a week and a half and it is amazing for anxiety and depression it worked rather quick. I was so relieved because I’ve tried so many and my panic, anxiety, depression is constant 24/7. However, I was very light headed and had fainting feelings on it. I took 30mg for a couple days then went to 15 but the dizziness did not go away. If it was not for that I would have stayed on it and been better by now. If you don’t get dizziness It’s a great med. I’m very sensitive to meds though.

I

Italia2020

Sorry not trazadone I meant Mitrazapine. I tried trazadone also and that made me dizzy also. The post above is for Mitrazapine.

Mal84

Mal84

Your experience sounds like mine when I first had it. It lasted a few weeks but did go away for me. Hopefully it will do the same to you :)

P

pdrpaul

be very carefull with mirtazapine. i took that for a month and have never experienced such rage, i actually wanted to kill people. scary stuff if you have underlying violient thoughts, stay safe