• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Mirtazapine

C

curlywurly

Does anyone take these?
I was on sertraline for 12 months, but still having bad anxiety and panic attacks, also terrible insomnia. But I was stable (ish) and could, in the main, cope.
After telling my GP about the panic/anxiety and insomnia he's put me on 15mg mirtazapine. 2 weeks lower dose sertraline then on the new meds. It's only been a few days but crikey, am I angry! I feel like I want to seriously punch someone, so tense and wound up, also sleeping heavily with wild vibrant dreams.
I know I have to give them time but I'm all over the place yet again. Makes me sad.
Anyone have any positive experiences on this?
Many thanks xx

Bunny99

Bunny99

My first few weeks on Mirtazapine I was having these really intense nightmares but I would also sleep a full 12 hours so the great rest outweighed the bad experiences.
It's been maybe a month or two of me using Mirtazapine now and I no longer have these insane nightmares but finally I am having normal dreams and great sleep.
I also felt very stressed out and overworked during the first few weeks of Mirtazapine but now it's more of a numbing effect towards anything I'm facing.

I hope it all works out for you, if not ask about higher dosages as I'm on 30mg (the 15mg wasn't helping me sleep, and the 45mg was somehow making nightmares worse so I was afraid of taking it). Take care! x

Catty5

Catty5

Hello
I’ve been on Mirtazapine 15mg to sleep since last Nov. I think Mirtazapine worsens my vivid nightmare since I’m on Prozac that also causes vivid dreams. I can sleep without med now but I cannot stop Mirtazapine because of the fear of severe cold turkey. I still take 7.5mg every other night to prepare for coming off.

I

Italia2020

Does anyone take these?
I was on sertraline for 12 months, but still having bad anxiety and panic attacks, also terrible insomnia. But I was stable (ish) and could, in the main, cope.
After telling my GP about the panic/anxiety and insomnia he's put me on 15mg mirtazapine. 2 weeks lower dose sertraline then on the new meds. It's only been a few days but crikey, am I angry! I feel like I want to seriously punch someone, so tense and wound up, also sleeping heavily with wild vibrant dreams.
I know I have to give them time but I'm all over the place yet again. Makes me sad.
Many thanks xx
I’ve been on setraline 6 weeks and it’s making my panic anxiety worse. My doc mentioned metrazapine 30mg for severe anxiety panic. Damn now I’m scared. Does it make you sedated during the day any help with anxiety or panic? I wish I can help but I haven’t even tried it yet

I

Italia2020

Does anyone take these?
Many thanks xx
Can also be combined with withdrawing from setraline

P

Pollypop

I was on sertraline. At first I was really agitated.
Couldn’t sit still in a chair. Twitching and shaking.
The anxiety was awful to start with.
I got severe stomach upsets.

I persevered and the side effects wore off.
The dose was increased without any of these problems returning

I was then changed to Mirtazapine and and duloxatine, an SNRI.
SSRIS’ don’t seem to work.

I’m glad you mentioned anger with Mirtazapine.
I thought I had. become like a raging bull.
I’m usually quite quiet.
It did help with sleep. A lovely drifting, calming way but that
seems to have worn off.
Probably because it was causing so much weight gain the dose was
reduced..
I also have terrible dreams but that is not unusual

I am now going to be put on Venlafaxine with the Mirtazapine and tapered
Of the Duloxatine.
Has anyone experienced Venlafaxine.
For some reason I’m really worried about it all. I don’t know why.
I also take Lamotragine.

I

Italia2020

I’m usually quite quiet.
seems to have worn off.
reduced..

Of the Duloxatine.
I also take Lamotragine.
That’s what I have with the zoloft but it’s 6 weeks now. I know they say the first couple weeks but I’m in week 6 and I still feel that way. How long was it for you to die down. I couldn’t take duloxatine. I don’t do well on srni. But now I’m scared to try mitrazapine. Ohh these meds!

C

curlywurly

I’ve been on setraline 6 weeks and it’s making my panic anxiety worse. My doc mentioned metrazapine 30mg for severe anxiety panic. Damn now I’m scared. Does it make you sedated during the day any help with anxiety or panic? I wish I can help but I haven’t even tried it yet
Tha

I’m usually quite quiet.
seems to have worn off.
reduced..

Of the Duloxatine.
I also take Lamotragine.
The idea of the weight gain really worries me. I'm struggling with my weight as it is and my mental health is always better when I'm at a weight I'm comfortable with. I really can't cope with a weight increase. Has anyone been able to combat an increase?
Im only on my 4th day of taking the mirtazapine so a way to go to see how it settles, but the anger and possible weight gain genuinely scare me.
I hate having to take meds to try and have some kind of life.

C

curlywurly

My first few weeks on Mirtazapine I was having these really intense nightmares but I would also sleep a full 12 hours so the great rest outweighed the bad experiences.
It's been maybe a month or two of me using Mirtazapine now and I no longer have these insane nightmares but finally I am having normal dreams and great sleep.
I also felt very stressed out and overworked during the first few weeks of Mirtazapine but now it's more of a numbing effect towards anything I'm facing.

I hope it all works out for you, if not ask about higher dosages as I'm on 30mg (the 15mg wasn't helping me sleep, and the 45mg was somehow making nightmares worse so I was afraid of taking it). Take care! x
Thanks for the reply and I'm glad it's working now for you. Can I ask, did it have an effect on your weight at all?

Mal84

Mal84

I was swapped from Mirtazapine to Sertraline and for me, Sertraline made me a very angry person. (and anyone who knows me, knows that is totally not me at all)

After trying Venlafaxine I’m actually now back on Mirtazapine now.

The first time I was on Mirtazapine I did gain a lot of weight but it did wonders for my sleep as well as my mood. I ended up coming off them because of the weight gain. This time I gained a lot of weight at first but after reducing another medication I’ve actually started losing quite a bit of weight while still on the same dose.

That is my personal experience but everyone’s is different :)

Bunny99

Bunny99

Thanks for the reply and I'm glad it's working now for you. Can I ask, did it have an effect on your weight at all?
I don't have a solid answer for that as I've had Nexplanon for 4 years and either that's contributed to my chunk or my diet is just really bad. I've been maintaining a steady weight for some time lately (family is on a diet) but it's definitely not an ideal one. x

I

Italia2020

I was swapped from Mirtazapine to Sertraline and for me, Sertraline made me a very angry person. (and anyone who knows me, knows that is totally not me at all)

The first time I was on Mirtazapine I did gain a lot of weight but it did wonders for my sleep as well as my mood. I ended up coming off them because of the weight gain. This time I gained a lot of weight at first but after reducing another medication I’ve actually started losing quite a bit of weight while still on the same dose.

Yes setraline I feel very irritated. I’m most sure if me trading works on anxiety and panic that. My anxiety panic bring me into a depression

I

Italia2020

So far the setraline has increased my anxiety

P

Pollypop

Has anyone been on Mirtazapine and Venlafaxine at the same time?
I’m just about to start it after coming off Duloxatine

I’m also on Lamotragine as a mood stabiliser.

Mirtazapine and Venlafaxine seems a strange combination.

N

Nukelavee

Has anyone been on Mirtazapine and Venlafaxine at the same time?
I’m just about to start it after coming off Duloxatine

I’m also on Lamotragine as a mood stabiliser.

Mirtazapine and Venlafaxine seems a strange combination.
Yup, I'm on that combo, plus Rexulti.

It is an odd combo. But - Venlafaxine+Mirtezapine together and the side effects actually are beneficial for some people, Like me. Here in North America, the combo is knows as "California Rocket Fuel", because of how effective it is for some people.

The weight gain was needed for me, and it helps me sleep. It also gives me super wicked dreams, which can suck.

the Rexulti is like a new version of Abilify, and is an anti-psychotic. I'm fairly certain it was added to to take edge off my temper, because on just Venlafaxine and Mirtezapine, I was kinda angry.

And I have BPD, so I already need to watch my temper.