• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Mirtazapine

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
Hello all, after a brief flirtation with Amatritptyline (one week until doc realised wldnt do well with my arrythmia) he has now prescribed Mirtazapine. I'm concerned about the possible appetite increase a subsequent weight increase and also the "thick head" in the morning.I would appreciate anyones experiences on this drug
Mh

G

gothicminx

Hi. I was on it for a week before I stopped taking it. Tbh it was awful. All I could do was sleep and eat. The first night I took it, I almost passed out in a chair so I halved the dose the next day (after sleeping 18 hours) and still felt like hell. After a week I couldnt take it anymore.

greebobeebo

greebobeebo

The only good thing about Mirtazipine for me was the sleep part. I put on 2 and a half stone when I was taking them, so needless to say, I stopped taking them. I am still trying to lose the weight 18 months later.

megirl

megirl

Please dont be put off this drug just from other peoples perspective apparantly it does work well for some people. Unfortunately for me it made me so sedated during the day I went through hell with lethargy and thoughts of self-harming. I also gained about 3kilos very quickly. I took mirtazipine for 9 weeks and finally decided no more. I am also on venlafaxine and other meds for bipolar

T

tinkerbell007

I also took mitzerapine for nearly 18 months i also put on weight but there is something you can do about that. I would give it a try as to compared to alot of others its fantastic

B

BP2

Apart from the weight gain I have had no problems with it - very few if any other side effects.

The first few doses made me a little drowsy but not overly sedated the next day.

I also don't think the weight gain has been as bad this time on a lower dose (15mg) but I am also taking lamotrigine as well.

G

gothicminx

Should've said that of course meds work well for some and not so well with others and it's always a good idea to keep the lines of communication with your GP open.

P

Prasada

London, south Wales, Bristol, Oxford, East Anglia
I have insomnia and borrowed some Mirtazapine from a friend. I found it reasonably helpful in getting to sleep, although I have a high tolerance for medicine and needed a double dose. There was a bit of a hangover the next day but not too bad.

Useful if there is a night on which you really have to get some sleep prior to an early appointment on the morrow.

B

Blondie

My daughter was on this for awhile.Started her on 15mg then went up to 30mg.She did put on weight but I never saw any improvement whilst she was on it.However this could be due to her terminal illness though(see below).