• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mirrors

V

Vanya

This does not cause me any significant trouble at all in life, but as a phobia this is top. At night I close an eye when walking past a mirror at home, and the other eye when I pass by going the other way. And of course would never have a mirror in the front room or hall or something like this.

It's not the mirror, it's me. I fear that I will see something *extra* in the mirror, even though I know it is only in my mind.

T

Twylight

I remember seeing a programme about the manufacture of mirrors as a small child ( in the Sixties ) during the programme it mentioned that the substance that was painted on the back of the glass was a ' Trade Secret ' !
It was twenty years later when I broke down for the first that I blew this
' secret' out of proportion.
But there is something almost magical about mirrors.

V

Vanya

But there is something almost magical about mirrors.
I could not agree more. Something is a little similar with some portraits. As though the image could see. Oh dear, as a kid I had once scared a cousin like this, telling him that a stuffed fish (a sail fish to be exact) could watch us. That was a while ago now. Funny in retrospect.

N

northern

I think the horror movies have alot to answer for!:scared: They always portray that something from another time, space, or evil lurks within.

The worst thing that happened to me regarding a mirror was now something I can laugh about but then I nearly had a heart attack.

Maybe it's one of the reason I have a phobia about public loos (another story) Walked into a loo middle of the night. Cold & wet with thunder & lightening.

Was abit panic'd about who might be lurking within. Hurried and got my daks up as fast as I could, had been holding my breathe too, so I could hear if anyone else was breathing (horror movies at a young age not good!) and started to make a bolt for it, when right in front of me another person was coming straight for me.:scared:

Back pedalling and screaming my lungs out, crying, I somehow realised that the person was now also on the ground getting dimmer, as there was no light on in the loos. Only light was mother nature. Just as I heard my friends coming to see what all the fuss was, lightening flashed and I saw myself, white as a sheet, cowering in the corner having a breakdown :drool:

There had been a mirror behind the door that I did not see entering building.

To this day I will always check to see where the mirror are and I do hesitate about going into public loos.

V

Vanya

Back pedalling and screaming my lungs out, crying, I somehow realised that the person was now also on the ground getting dimmer, as there was no light on in the loos. Only light was mother nature. Just as I heard my friends coming to see what all the fuss was, lightening flashed and I saw myself, white as a sheet, cowering in the corner having a breakdown :drool:
That's funny. I don't care for public washrooms either, but not to the point of terror, or ghostly terror...

erika17

erika17

I'm the same way. And its not only mirrors but anything reflective. I don't watch horror movies because of their use of mirrors. During the day I'm fine but if its dark I won't even be one. Have you found any way to help your fear? I'd love to know some ways to make life easier...