• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Miraculous recovery in severe depression following COVID vaccine.

C

Crown

Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum - my mums been suffering from severe psychotic depression for a year now - and currently under treatment with combined antidepressant and anti psychotic. 12 hours after receiving her COVID vac she’s made what I can only describe as a seemingly miraculous recovery (displayed normal behaviour that I’ve not seen over a year)- sadly it lasted only about 10 hours before her agitation returned but I felt compelled to post this as I’m trying to understand if there is any link between the COVID vac and the improvements- I’ve read some papers that refer to the neurological elements of the vac and felt this may possibly have had an impact when combined with the depression medication. Just searching for answers and hoped others may have similar experience they can share?

thank you

J

JeanPierre

I'm just hearing good results of people who have taken the vaccine.
Both Moderna & Pfizer.
It's interesting what you are reporting!
Welcome here.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I don't know if the vaccine itself had any medicinal effect, or if it was simply the relief from getting vaccinated which had the profound positive effect on your mother. But, it was good news at any rate. I hope she does better long term.

I had the Pfizer vaccine (both shots) and it had almost no side effects. I was concerned for the second shot, I'd heard about significant 'flu like' symptoms putting people in bed for 2-3 days. I had nothing like that-my arm hurt a little bit, that's about it. I think the first shot had more effect than the second shot-I felt a little fatigue after the first shot and came home and slept for 2 hours. But that may have been simply the stress of getting vaccinated, who knows? After I slept I felt just fine.

Side effects are GREATLY exaggerated from what I've heard and read. Everybody I know who got the Pfizer vaccine said the same thing, it was a nothing-burger. Relax.

C

Crown

Thavks for your response, Mum had the Pfizer vac too, and no bad side effects either. I think you might be right it’s maybe the effects of feeling safe or just coincidence either way she’s had another very good day today so hopefully just a sign of better days ahead 🙏

C

Crown

Thank you, that’s very kind of you. Can feel very scary and overwhelming having a loved one going through mental health problems it’s just nice to be able to speak to people who understand and feel welcome in the forum.

Finite

Finite

@Crown I had the first Pfizer vaccination this past weekend and apart from a localised reaction and sore arm, I didn't feel unwell or anything. 2 days on though, for no apparent reason my usual depressive negative mood has been replaced by what I can only describe as a feeling like I've been given a happy pill or at least a strong stimulant or something. I am currently taking a mixed lot of antidepressants, antipsychotics and Lorazepam as well, and I can't explain what's happening. I have hardly slept, which is not like me at all and I feel almost wired. I too am left wondering if the vaccine has reacted with the meds. Whatever the cause though, I hope the improvements you've seen in your mum continue :) . Ps - :welcome:

C

Crown

Great to hear your experience, thank you so much for sharing. Just think it’s important to try and understand as much as we can to see if there could be a link. This is a whole new world for us and the last year has been devastating - were constantly looking for any information that might help mum - I’m thankful for your kind words and hope you also see some improvements and brighter days ahead 🙏🌈

L

littledogs

I will also be so relieved when I get the vaccine. My appointment isn't til next week..if I am alive by then.

J

Jolly

In fortunately when I was 5 my lungs collapsed after a vaccine and thankfully my mum was a nurse and we were living at a doctors so did not have to go in the lung machine. The next time was in 1986 after my second daughter the consultant said I needed the German measles vaccine and guess what that took a year to recover. Now I am so unsure about getting the covid vaccine in case it has adverse reactions. Asked the doctor and she said it is up to me. I have never had the flu injection. Any ideas welcome or do you know anyone I can talk to about the adverse effects of the only two vaccines I have had. Thanks x

C

Crown

It’s such a scary time for many people just now, I hope the week passes quickly, you’ll be vaccinated and feeling a lot more protected soon - take care 🌈

C

Crown

In fortunately when I was 5 my lungs collapsed after a vaccine and thankfully my mum was a nurse and we were living at a doctors so did not have to go in the lung machine. The next time was in 1986 after my second daughter the consultant said I needed the German measles vaccine and guess what that took a year to recover. Now I am so unsure about getting the covid vaccine in case it has adverse reactions. Asked the doctor and she said it is up to me. I have never had the flu injection. Any ideas welcome or do you know anyone I can talk to about the adverse effects of the only two vaccines I have had. Thanks x

C

Crown

Hope you get some clearer information to help you decide, my sisters a nurse and working with the team delivering the vaccine and said the Astra Zenica is the vaccine they were using for patients who had reactions in the past. Whatever you decide I hope it works out well for you 🙏

J

Jolly

Unfortunately they have left it to me to decide. There is no professional that will say yes or no. Xx

J

JeanPierre

I have never heard of such extreme reactions.