• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mindfulness

D

Dollit

I don't know if any of you have come across Mindfulness. It was recommended to me by my psychiatrist after I'd attended a psychology workshop. It is based on a Buddhist practice and you do it with a CD which guides you through the meditation which takes about 45 minutes. There is a whole department at the University of Bangor which runs studies and teaches how to practice (though I found it's okay just to shove the CD on and follow the voice). It is currently being trialled in Wiltshire as an aid to helping depression. It takes little effort (I do it lying on the bed) so you can still do it when you're quite sick. One of the principles that you use in practice is that "the present is the only time we have to be alive" which is where my signature comes from. I would heartily recommend it.

Attachments

W

Windblows

Founding Member
Hi Dollit
Mindfulness is also the name of a book, one of many I have on my shelf that I've never read much of, and I will have a look soon to see if its anything at all to do with whats on your CD.
Relaxation CD's are very good. It's just making time & space for them.
If we all followed the message your signiture motto maybe relaxing would be easier.
Gotta find that book...:innocent:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I was referred to relaxation classes and they taught us guided relaxation and i found that really helpful.

I did try meditation but found it very hard to switch my mind off. I would be interested tho in listening to that cd you mentioned. Where abouts did you get it from?

D

Dollit

You can get the CD that I've got from here. I use one from an original trial (which is why my psych gave me it free) but the format is the same as the one by Trish Bartley. It's very good and guided meditation but it also tells you what to do with the thoughts if you find them intruding.

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/imscar/mindfulness/resources.php.en?catid=&subid=6251

My psych has all his students practise mindfulness before exams and he does it himself which shows you how good it is. It's a well spent £10.

W

Windblows

Founding Member
Trish Bartley

Hi Dollit
I've gone on the link you gave and printed off the order form but am a bit confused as the only item available by Trish Bartey is:Body Scan (30 mins) & Sitting (30 mins) - these are £10 each. How can I be sure to order the right thing? None of the titles refer to Mindfullness.:unsure:

D

Dollit

The link I gave you is to the University of Bangor department of Mindfulness! Yes a whole university department devoted to meditation and it's practice. I didn't realize that they were 2 CDs, I did think they were one. They are mindfulness as is everything else they sell on the site.

Attachments

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
we have support workers in community here who run art and relaxation classes. I think we get quite abit of extra government cash as we are classified as a deprived area (yep the lake district is some areas especially north lakes is deprived) Its great its free to anyone really but primarily those with MH difficulties and lasts a couple of hours a week. you start off with a relaxation session of mediation followed on with art classes. Meanwhile there are free childcare facilities.

It certainly helped me and I managed to even get free 1:1 art classes too

D

Dollit

It's good to see that there are enlightened health workers out there! A GP in Gloucestershire I know prescribes art classes and exercise classes for his patients (he got government funding for the trial) which have proved really successful. The government has got to get the hang of the idea that there's more to recovery from mental health problems than talking therapy and medication.

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
ralph1

If there is a benificial activity you need but can't afford you can apply to direct payments for help. It must be supported though by an approved social woker. It may be that you need a break/holiday and it is in Direct Payments remit to fund it There,limits of couse so don't ask for a Cruise to the carribian.
There is also a history of supplying prostitutes for people to disabled and hard up to sort it for themselves.

Now, where is that travel travel brochure, darn it SAGA won'tlet me take a companion under 40. How can I get around that. :sorcerer:

connect

connect

Admin
I did try meditation but found it very hard to switch my mind off.
You might find mindfulness meditation easier, because it doesn't actually involve ridding your mind of all thoughts (like some other styles of meditation), but rather experiencing everything in the present moment, and that includes your thoughts. So you're not trying to switch off your thoughts, but rather, you are encouraged to notice the thoughts without judging them or attaching specific emotions to them... at least that's what I think it is. I haven't actually tried it myself, only read about it :).

D

Dollit

That's a good interpretation of mindfulness. It is about being in the here and now. If you have a thought you just let it have a wander round and it goes off on it's own. If you try to chase a thought away it settles down for the duration. Mindfulness is essentially about learning to live - it's fine to have memories just don't live in the past, make plans but don't get too tied up in the future. It's amazingly effective and I find life much easier to cope with. I had a very difficult dental examination lately and did the mindfulness in the chair - and I lived! My psych practises himself so he doesn't preach anything he isn't already experienced at. (y)

J

justlikeawoman

Recovery, Self Help, Treatments, Support and Services

If there is a benificial activity you need but can't afford you can apply to direct payments for help. It must be supported though by an approved social woker. It may be that you need a break/holiday and it is in Direct Payments remit to fund it There,limits of couse so don't ask for a Cruise to the carribian.
There is also a history of supplying prostitutes for people to disabled and hard up to sort it for themselves.

Now, where is that travel travel brochure, darn it SAGA won'tlet me take a companion under 40. How can I get around that. :sorcerer:[/QUOTE

so why wont saga allow you to take a companion under 40?:confused::unsure:

W

Windblows

Founding Member
Saga policy on age

It is weird if Saga do not permit companions under 40. Why 40?
What about single parents over 50 years old who want/need to take their school age children on holiday?
Its all very ageist. Time we stopped putting each other in boxes. There are enough equality laws but not much practice.
We need to be mindful of this, don't we?
If you don't find what you want (where you seek it) keep asking. Supply and demand.(y)

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member

Now, where is that travel travel brochure, darn it SAGA won'tlet me take a companion under 40. How can I get around that. :sorcerer:[/QUOTE

so why wont saga allow you to take a companion under 40?:confused::unsure:
Thats the rules of saga. Minimum age of 50 for traveller and 40 for companion. Do you know any woman over 40 who might be approachable :innocent: :love: :tea: