• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mindfulness

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Hi,

Think I am going to be starting a short course of mindfulness next year. Does anyone have any expeirence of this??

A

Apotheosis

Hi,

Think I am going to be starting a short course of mindfulness next year. Does anyone have any expeirence of this??
Hello intelgal.

I am presently undertaking this 12 week mindfulness & acceptance course. I have also found much help from Echart Tolle's Books - especially his last one; A New Earth.

I practise meditation, although not as regularly as I think would be most benefit. I use a simple slow & deep breathing technique. I practise a technique of bringing awareness into the body & being present in the moment. Of observing thoughts & emotions from the point of view of an observer. It does help.

D

Dollit

I do mindfulness as much as possible and find it a great help. Been doing it for quite a while now. I was recommended it by my consultant who practises himself. He also recommends that his students do a session before exams.

It is a very liberating experience for me.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Thanks guys.

I think one of the things I ve been told is that it helps you to focus on the here and now and not the past or the future.

Will def look those books up

Intel

x

emski

emski

Got to agree, Eckhart Tolle's books are well worth investing in. You can download them as audio books too - I listen to them sometimes in bed or whilst at work to tune everyone else out and let it go in subliminally whilst I work.

Mindfulness is grounded in the present moment, and 'The Power of Now' is another one of Tolle's books

D

Dollit

You can get free mindfulness downloads from iTunes and if you look at www.bangor.ac.uk/mindfulness this is a whole university department devoted to mindfulness and the study of it and there is wonderful books and guided meditation CDs from there.

And yes it does help you focus wonderfully on the here and now and has actually been prescribed for depression as a trial in Swindon.