• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Mindfulness

Mark_01

Mark_01

Have seen Mindfulness mentioned several times on the forum, so I watched several videos, Jon Kabat-Zinn and Leo, been to their websites, read a few definitions on the web and from what I gather Mindfulness is centering on the present, taking control of your emotions, and not be judgmental of self. Essentially it is telling your self that you're ok and not to dwell on the bad things that have happened in the past, and not to always think about the future; focus on the now and try to simplify.

Mindfulness looks like something for sane people who are normal like everyone else.

I don't know if Mindfulness is possible for a chronic psychotic? I mean, we have been destroyed by our past and fear our future. I take drugs to stop myself from doing what I would do now.

I gave it an hour of my life, I don't believe it is for me.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

You know, I think it's really good that you at least gave it a try.

I see it is being hailed as some wonderful new treatment but I don't think it's for everyone either.
I think that it's certainly a useful tool to have and if you can implement it, then fantastic.
But I see it as something that's more complimentary to other treatments rather than a treatment in itself. :unsure:

Mark_01

Mark_01

To me, it is sorta like going to church; some of the best people I know go to church. I tried that, too, it didn't work. I've tried meditation and breathing exercises, I lose interest and just forget about it; then I go back into my timeless world. I guess most of the time I think in the present, but I am still haunted by the past, and don't look forward to the future.