Mindfulness is just Buddhism sold to you by neoliberals

Parayana

Parayana

at my buddhist centre they meditated on things to be grateful for, one was that you had come across the buddhis teaching, another was you'd been born human and able to follow it, another was you had the time to follow it ans so on, the last was that you hadn't been born disabled and unable to follow the practice

some women said she was disabled the reply was your going to hell but it's alright the buddhist hell isn't as bad as the christian one
I've never heard anything like that from any Buddhist teacher I've studied with. Sounds like a load of old shite to me Rambo. You been on the home brew again?

La Femme, I trained myself to have the discipline - when I started out I did twenty minutes a day which is considered long for a beginner. I've hated myself since I was a child as well, La Femme and its led me into some very dark and dangerous places.

The thing for me is that I've cultivated a certain level of non-attachment to my egoic mind - watch it for long enough and you realise it's a dead thing that you have no control of, it just repeats the same fears and desires over and over again. But the part of me that is aware of those thoughts and feelings isn't disturbed by them at all - it's calm, still and at peace, I've trained myself to rest in that awareness and it certainly helps me.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i have to say theres something about been in the present moment, the dead past you can't change however much you go over it, it's all been said before, it was almost fated to be, the future well in all probability it'll be more of the same, the chance of any recovery well i've taken the recovery road as far as i can, as the psychiatrist said i'm approaching the chronic stage of my illness, chronic i guess in the sense i've given up on recovery

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
??

What was that, the Nazi Buddhist centre?
i remember they're meditation to cure love you meditate on the beloved and imagine them as bones bits of flesh and blood vessols, you do so until you feel sick and repeat

they said buddhas followers used that meditation on themselves but it had to be discontinued because so many were killing themselves

i've used the meditation whether it works

Parayana

Parayana

i remember they're meditation to cure love you meditate on the beloved and imagine them as bones bits of flesh and blood vessols, you do so until you feel sick and repeat

they said buddhas followers used that meditation on themselves but it had to be discontinued because so many were killing themselves

i've used the meditation whether it works
That's not the meditation to cure love, that's asubha practice to supress fascination with sex, personally I don't use it - I try to have metta - radical, non-judgemental acceptance of my sexual feelings and no Rambo it wasn't discontinued it's just something you have to be careful with as it can lead to an intense dislike of the body. No offence mate but your spouting a lot of stuff in this thread as an authority when you don't really know what your talking about.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
That's not the meditation to cure love, that's asubha practice to supress fascination with sex, personally I don't use it - I try to have metta - radical, non-judgemental acceptance of my sexual feelings and no Rambo it wasn't discontinued it's just something you have to be careful with as it can lead to an intense dislike of the body. No offence mate but your spouting a lot of stuff in this thread as an authority when you don't really know what your talking about.
i never said i was an authority, i haven't been for years, ever since i took a friend and he called it buddhism for stockbrokers and said the real buddha would have been down there with the homeless people in the local subway, anyway it's a long journey on the tube, with my social anxiety i have problems

and it was presented as a meditation to cure love

Parayana

Parayana

Sounds like you've experienced some of the distorted stuff they teach at New Kadampa Tibetan Buddhist centres, Rambo.

Kerome

Kerome

I've hated myself since I was a child as well, La Femme and its led me into some very dark and dangerous places.
Funny you should say that Parayana but I’ve recently also come to that conclusion, that self hatred and self destructive impulses are some of the most dangerous tendencies a human being can have. It leads to a kind of self-created victim hood where you can get into a negative spiral where either you or another do things to you with your approval which is totally unhelpful and counter to living a happy and healthy life.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Sounds like you've experienced some of the distorted stuff they teach at New Kadampa Tibetan Buddhist centres, Rambo.
and your's is the true religion i take it, it was jam yaing tibetan buddhist centre, i think they have a web site, i remember they were talking about the beginning and end of life and i asked about abortion, this women said it's wonderful that a man asks that question

then i invited a friend he outed me as schitzoprenic

the women had become their volunteer co ordinator and they'd brought the court house in kennington when i offered to help paint it this women had gone from what a wondrful guy i was to i was tooo disabled to put a coat of paint on a wall after finding out the label

L

la femme folle

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Funny you should say that Parayana but I’ve recently also come to that conclusion, that self hatred and self destructive impulses are some of the most dangerous tendencies a human being can have. It leads to a kind of self-created victim hood where you can get into a negative spiral where either you or another do things to you with your approval which is totally unhelpful and counter to living a happy and healthy life.
That is true, I am told I am playing the victim.

L

la femme folle

ACCOUNT CLOSED
and your's is the true religion i take it, it was jam yaing tibetan buddhist centre, i think they have a web site, i remember they were talking about the beginning and end of life and i asked about abortion, this women said it's wonderful that a man asks that question

then i invited a friend he outed me as schitzoprenic

the women had become their volunteer co ordinator and they'd brought the court house in kennington when i offered to help paint it this women had gone from what a wondrful guy i was to i was tooo disabled to put a coat of paint on a wall after finding out the label
Yes and that is where accepting yourself warts and all can run into problems because having a diagnosis of schizophrenia doesn't make you useless or bad, but other people certainly think so. Whose version of yourself, warts and all do you learn to accept? It's not fair on you to assume that about you, but are you expected to accept you are a 'useless eater' by society's standards and be done with it?

L

la femme folle

ACCOUNT CLOSED
you or another do things to you with your approval which is totally unhelpful and counter to living a happy and healthy life.
You could say that about accepting a psychiatric diagnosis as a true portrayal of you a lot of the time.

L

la femme folle

ACCOUNT CLOSED
theres also blaming the victim very common in america those who aren't sucessful it's their own fault
Yeah but that genuinely isn't their fault, playing the victim is a personal choice. I know I have nothing to moan about compared to most people and I do bring things on myself all of the time. So complaining about that is playing the victim, blaming the victim is something else entirely.

Parayana

Parayana

I never said I hold a monopoly on truth Rambo, your putting words into my mouth like CPU used to, I've learned from Theravada, Mahayana Zen and Tibetan teachers but anyone who knows anything about Buddhism knows the NKT are a profoundly dodgy and cult like organisation. For me all turnings of the Wheel of Dharma are as inherently empty as everything else and I can learn from them.

I accept my diagnosis of Schizophrenia and don't really give a shit if anyone looks down on me, I am who I am, take me or leave me. Though initially it hit me hard and I was given a diagnosis of adjustment disorder with severe symptoms of depression as a reaction to the Schizophrenia diagnosis, and it led to severe alcohol abuse as a way of dealing with that depression.

Personally I've got nothing to be depressed about, I have a decent flat in a nice area, a good screw off the government, I don't have to work, I'm stable on meds, I have my books and games to keep me occupied, a loving partner and my meditation and mindfulness to help with any residual symptoms of my mental illness.

I personally couldn't give a flying fuck if a few right wing knobheads think I'm a useless eater, that's there karma and sakkaya-ditthi talking and if that's their trip so be it.

Personally I find some stuff in Tibetan Buddhism doesn't suit me - theirs too much mysticism, focus on the guru and obsession with rebirth for my tastes, I prefer the quiet simplicity of Thai Forest Tradition or Soto Zen.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I never said I hold a monopoly on truth Rambo, your putting words into my mouth like CPU used to, I've learned from Theravada, Mahayana Zen and Tibetan teachers but anyone who knows anything about Buddhism knows the NKT are a profoundly dodgy and cult like organisation. For me all turnings of the Wheel of Dharma are as inherently empty as everything else and I can learn from them.

I accept my diagnosis of Schizophrenia and don't really give a shit if anyone looks down on me, I am who I am, take me or leave me. Though initially it hit me hard and I was given a diagnosis of adjustment disorder with severe symptoms of depression as a reaction to the Schizophrenia diagnosis, and it led to severe alcohol abuse as a way of dealing with that depression.

Personally I've got nothing to be depressed about, I have a decent flat in a nice area, a good screw off the government, I don't have to work, I'm stable on meds, I have my books and games to keep me occupied, a loving partner and my meditation and mindfulness to help with any residual symptoms of my mental illness.

I personally couldn't give a flying fuck if a few right wing knobheads think I'm a useless eater, that's there karma and sakkaya-ditthi talking and if that's their trip so be it.

Personally I find some stuff in Tibetan Buddhism doesn't suit me - theirs too much mysticism, focus on the guru and obsession with rebirth for my tastes, I prefer the quiet simplicity of Thai Forest Tradition or Soto Zen.
didn't remember you from when cpu was around, i've tried a no of religions end up dissilusioned, my neighbour gets help from this church of england couple who work for the church helping out people, they've helped me out, am impressed used to think there was no alternative to market place capitalism and some would call that a religion

but all religions offer help on condition you convert

Parayana

Parayana

Buddhism isn't a religion Rambo - a Theravada Buddhist monk told me that and I concur. Buddhists aren't allowed to try and convert people, if you ask me a question about it I have to answer but that's it, you don't see Buddhists outside the train station handing out copies of the Dhammapada.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Buddhism isn't a religion Rambo - a Theravada Buddhist monk told me that and I concur. Buddhists aren't allowed to try and convert people, if you ask me a question about it I have to answer but that's it, you don't see Buddhists outside the train station handing out copies of the Dhammapada.
to me and most people buddhism is a religion, it's a system of beleif thats for certain, i think your buddhis place undoubtedly is registered as a religion with the authorities

Parayana

Parayana

Jeez, folks really don't see how attachment to your thoughts and feelings as real and abiding causes so much pain do you? It's really pointless discussing this with you its just a constant hit of negativity, but it does demonstrate to me the four noble truths.

Personally I'm done with this thread. I don't think I really need this forum any more either, I think I'll ask for my account to be closed. Not because I'm spitting my dummy out, its just so pointless.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i don't like attacking other peoples beleifs if they give them comfort, but feel uncomfortable whem my beleifs are attacked and get on the defensive

Parayana

Parayana

Rambo, I don't care anymore. I'm done, last transmission from this station. Going dark.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kerome Mindfulness and Mental Health 2