Mindfulness exercise for the day

T

tocabossa

This is Awesome thanks! I will try it this week and report back!

I use these sounds- The Sound Of
- YouTube

Usually in bed at night, but sometimes during the day, or even while I do some work. I find if I listen to these soothing sounds , clear my mind and then do some mindfulness exercises that it really adds value to the session.

Maybe they could be simultaneously played with your guided meditation....

Thanks so much for sharing! x

Kerome

Kerome

In hospital they taught us to quietly consider each part of the body and relax it before moving on to the next. Every time I practice this I'm amazed at the tension that I didn't even realize I was carrying.
This is what’s often called a “bodyscan”, it’s a mindful awareness exercise which can be really helpful in relaxing prior to sleep especially. I’ll see if I can find a link to a good write-up and post it here.

Have always had trouble with the breathing exercises. When I focus my attention on my breathing it changes.
That is true, it is quite difficult to settle into the natural rhythm of the breath at first. Often when you first start focusing on the breath you take conscious control and you start breathing more deeply, and you notice you start taking in more oxygen than you really need. But it doesn’t really matter. If you stick with it you will find that eventually at some point during the meditation your breath will shift from deeper and longer to shorter and shallower, a more natural rhythm.

Eventually after you’ve been doing meditation on the breath regularly for a while you will find it becomes easier to connect to the natural rhythm of the breath and you won’t feel the need to be so consciously controlling.

naominash

naominash

Has anyone tried Headspace?

It's a guided meditation app. I loved the free trial. They're good about allowing you to settle in to meditation at your own pace.

I can feel my concentration getting better. And I'm less stressed on busy days.

S

Sherbert Lemon

My friend Alan goes into the betting shop and watches all the televisions .

He doesn't bet .

Is this Mindfulness ?

Please can someone tell me .

Is this site free ?

Or are we being charged per day ?

I woke up from a bad dream we were being charged !

Thank you

Kerome

Kerome

The site is still free don’t worry. I don’t think what your friend Allan is doing is mindfulness, because he’s going in and watching some TV screens without being peacefully aware of the rest of his body and surroundings. Do you see the difference?

Kerome

Kerome

I just wanted to add some alternate methods to breathing meditations for when your head is very noisy:

- deep breaths, mentally labelling “in” and “out”... doing this will enable you to get a stronger focus of mind and body on the breath, being less easily distracted by tactile sensations or sounds
- sucking and blowing through the mouth, mentally labelling “in” and “out”... this is another concentration method for getting the body and mind together to focus on breath
- physically saying “in” and “out” with either deep breaths or sucking/blowing... this can work for short periods to break through a blockage

If you’re in a noisy environment or your head is turbulent and you can’t concentrate, these are decent methods to lift your focus.

Kerome

Kerome

The other thing I would mention is that with the breath there are different places where you can concentrate on the breath, in the abdomen, at the throat or in the nostrils. They can all work, and it’s a question of trying out and seeing what you’re comfortable with.

The advantage of using the nostrils is that it can keep your focus on your upper body, and so you’re able to keep better mindfulness of the head without trying to establish mindfulness of the body as a whole.