• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Mindfulness and urge surfing

Kerome

Kerome

Urge surfing and relapse prevention

Urge surfing is a term coined by Alan Marlatt as part of a program of relapse prevention he developed for people recovering from addictions to alcohol and other drugs. It can actually be used to help with any addictive behaviour such as gambling, overeating, inappropriate sex or any other destructive impulses.
Urges for substance use rarely last for very long. In fact, they almost never last for longer than about 30 minutes, if there is no opportunity to use. People admitted to a high quality detoxification centre where there is no access to their drug of choice often find it remarkable how little craving they get.
If there is no opportunity to use then there is no internal struggle. It is this internal struggle that feeds the cravings. Trying to fight cravings is like trying to block a waterfall. We end up being inundated. With the approach of mindfulness, we step aside and watch the water (cravings, impulses & urges) just go right past. This is true for everybody, but few addicts ever give themselves the chance to prove it.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
you could leave the centre to use.

Kerome

Kerome

This looks like it could be helpful Kerome.
Yes I thought so too, I came across it while looking for mindfulness exercises for the dailies, but this is a larger piece of work around using mindfulness in the context of controlling urges, and it reminded me of the people with addictions, self harm, binging, maybe even some aspects of voice hearing. So I thought I would put up the link, perhaps it is useful for people.