• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Mind, the mental health charity.

L

laceface

Hi,

My name is Grace, and for several years, between the ages of 14 and 19, I suffered from bulimia, and depression. I attempted suicide several times, and at one point, was close to being sectioned.

My recovery has been a long and difficult process, but it is the achievement of which I am, and always will be, most proud.

I always hoped that I would be able to do something to help others when I was better. Now I am well, I have decided to take part in a 100k trek to raise money for the mental health charity, Mind. I am hoping to raise £3000 which can be used to help others who may not have had the standard of care I received myself.

Mind does amazing work, setting up support networks around Britain, providing services such as counselling and therapy, lobbying the government, and representing the views of people who are suffering from a mental illness. Their services are accessible and their work means that they can take some weight off the NHS and cover the shortfall. As a charity, they rely heavily on donations from people like you and me.

I am sure that many people on this forum have themselves been affected by a mental illness, either themselves or a family member, and know how hard it is, not only for the sufferer but for family and friends who can feel so helpless. There seems to be a taboo surrounding mental health issues, and I hope that my contribution to furthering the cause of mental health, may, in a tiny, tiny way, help to eliminate this.

I hope that people may like to sponsor me, a tiny amount, £2 or £3, so I am able to achieve my target. Every little helps! :)

Sponsorship can be made at www.justgiving.com/gracedobsonhughes. It is a safe and secure website, and 28% will be added at no extra cost to you through gift aid.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

Love,
Grace

companion

companion

Founding Member
Hi Grace,

I agree totally with all that you say about mind. They are a great charity that provide an invaluable service.

Like you I have my own personal experiences of mental illness and when I at the other end of the tunnel, I too wanted to give something back. I chose to do Social Work and build my own social care website.

I admire you for all that you are doing and I think from what you say that you will be really successful in all that you do and with this 100k trek - I could not do that so very well done for having the motivation and determination to do this.

I wish you success with your trek and look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Take care

Companion

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Intro to myself. Looking for a less lonely place to share maps to my mind. Introduce Yourself 8
H Hey, I’ve got a screwed up mind Introduce Yourself 9
M New and Hoping to Be Able to Relieve My Mind Introduce Yourself 5
L Mind reading Introduce Yourself 3
W Fear of loosing my mind. Staying grounded and distracted by reading this forum. Introduce Yourself 5
S What is wrong with my mind Introduce Yourself 2
R Overwhelmed and feel like I'm loosing my mind Introduce Yourself 12
H Please help I trapped in my mind. Introduce Yourself 15
T I feel like I’ve lost my mind. Introduce Yourself 7
C Scared of my own existence of the mind and conciousness Introduce Yourself 8
S mind chatter in my head and cheating Introduce Yourself 15
O losing my mind Introduce Yourself 5
A Hi. Found this forum in hopes of getting some peace of mind Introduce Yourself 2
S Disordered eating, or lockdown playing mind games? Introduce Yourself 3
S Blurry mind Introduce Yourself 3
P Does this sound like any mental illness? Introduce Yourself 5
J I Believe in Mental Health Introduce Yourself 5
T Just starting to take my mental illness seriously Introduce Yourself 4
J Hey, I need help my mental health ATM is affecting my life Introduce Yourself 11
M My Mental Health Introduce Yourself 5
2 uhhhhh ive got quite the cocktail of mental illnesses hello everybody Introduce Yourself 5
A Help! My mental health is the lowest it's been. Introduce Yourself 7
G Mental Health Law: The M'Naghten rules and the CRPD Introduce Yourself 2
F Hello! Im new here i have many mental problems like anxiety and fatigued all time. Any other? Introduce Yourself 5
V Hi there I'm Vernon with lots of mental health problems Introduce Yourself 6
D thank you Mental Health Forum for accepting my membership Introduce Yourself 16
L Hi guys , it is not nice having mental health problems Introduce Yourself 1
Mimi14 New to Mental Health Forum! Introduce Yourself 7
Murasakibee Hello, seeking help for mental illness Introduce Yourself 15
S Spirituality for mental health Introduce Yourself 4
C Hello. Im here to learn how to help, understand, and not give up on my fiancee. She has mental illnesses. Introduce Yourself 4
D I think i'm in serious denial about my mental health Introduce Yourself 2
Jam1990 Just your average guy with heavy mental baggage Introduce Yourself 4
dreampop82 New here at the mental health forum Introduce Yourself 3
Niche Bee New here, this is a big step for my mental wellbeing ❤️ Introduce Yourself 5
T Hello, new here and my first time talking about my mental health to anyone. Introduce Yourself 4
M Son with mental health issues. Not yet diagnosed. Introduce Yourself 11
S India and Mental Disease - Current Scenario Introduce Yourself 2
B Hi! I blog about my mental health Introduce Yourself 2
J Hi everyone new this suffer with a long history of mental health looking a bit of support from people that understand esp with my bpd atm Introduce Yourself 1
TrapRage616 Living with this mental illness is a nightmarish hell Introduce Yourself 4
A Adam: 34 and living with mental health problems since childhood. Introduce Yourself 7
T My mental health journey Introduce Yourself 4
D mental health message!! Introduce Yourself 6
P Struggling with physical and emotional health Introduce Yourself 4
spacebunny Back to forums - Health Anxiety Introduce Yourself 3
H Hi im new here and im suffering with severe health anxiety Introduce Yourself 9
W (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) & Health Anxiety Introduce Yourself 2
E HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENT ISSUES Introduce Yourself 2
Sash1 Living with Health Anxieties(New member) Introduce Yourself 3