• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Mind Over Matter 2

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Not exactly SUI but it fits here better than anywhere else :).

SHIFT have produced their a report called Mind Over Matter 2. This is a report on Media coverage of Mental Health in 2006; SHIFT aim to have an annual report on this subject and try to monitor any changes for better or worse.

Anyway you can access the report through....

http://snipurl.com/24hqa

I haven't read it yet but it looks very interesting.

Nick.

D

Dollit

I have read the shorter form and it does make for interesting reading.

I was part of Shift's Speaker Bureau and talked to the press on many occasions and took part in live events for them. I found it to be a fulfilling experience but also very challenging. The last thing I did for them was a local press interview for World Mental Health day last year. The journalist interviewed two of us. The other person got off pretty lightly but considering she was supposed to be writing an article to reduce stigma the journalist did an appalling job and filled the piece with inaccuracies - presumably to make what she thought was a better story. The editor published a letter pointing out the inaccuracies but the damage was done. To have taken the PCC route would have taken months as an in house complaint has to be gone through first. I have an unusual name and everyone who read the story knew it was me. I ended up really ill because of this journalist so I applaud Shift and others like them who work towards reducing stigma - and that includes everyone on here who stands up to be counted.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Very sorry you had such a bad experience Dollit - :hug: - but it is easy to tell from your posts that you have done far more standing up and being counted (does that make sense?) than most people :clap:.

Nick.