• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Mild narcissism

1redpath

We all have narcissist traits
Example we will are selfish and ignorant of other to some degree.
Even anxiety we all worry before something important

T

Thisisme373

I’m finding it tough to let go of this, can someone be partially narcissistic?

1redpath

No
You can't has far as I'm aware

S

Simple2021

Ok well after watching a lot of YouTube videos I’m worried I might have npd.
I recognised some of the traits I have, I hate to say it but I have been exploitive in the past with no regard to the other person, I notice I can lack empathy at times & I need validation/reassurance from others.
I am insightful though and am able to reflect on my actions… narcissist can do this too right or are they incapable?
The thing is I certainly have some narcissistic traits. I am highly sensitive to criticism, I am selfish & can lie at times, I can also be manipulative. I think I got this from my dad as I believe he is a narcissist. I don’t want to be this way, I want to be a good person, as I have grown up I’ve become more understanding of others but I can see my flaws and it hurts deeply, I feel devastated that I am possibly narcissistic. When I think of it I believe some others have noticed that im not the nicest of people. I really don’t want to be toxic.
I took an online quiz & scored 12/20, it says I have mild narcissism. Does this mean I have NPD? I see it’s a hard thing to treat or go against which hurts even more.
Discovering I may have this has hit me hard, I’m so scared and anxious. I suffer with depression and anxiety & this has made it spike up big time. I’m scared.

Like many others are saying, if you are worried or concerned about being a narcissist, you aren't one. You seem like you may have some ocd. I'm a sociopath and I surely didn't up and one day start watching YouTube videos and worry that I might be a sociopath lol.

All sociopaths/psychopaths are narcissist but not all narcissist are sociopaths or psychopaths. I still won't take the label of being a narcissist nor do I worry about it at all. I accept myself to be what I am and don't care for the labeling. I just know that I'm not like others and I have to work at controlling my impulses and natural behavior to avoid causing harm to others. I have to be contentious of my behavior and interactions every second that I'm around another human being. It never flows naturally but I am constantly having to tweak it. You aren't a narcissist, so just be happy with that fact.

GretaVon

GretaVon

As many have pointed out, you definitely don't have NPD. The indicators for this in your posts are legion.

The Tudor Model assumes a spectrum of narcissistic tendencies as follows:

1. Empaths (least),
2. Normals,
3. Narcissistic people
4. Narcissists (NPD)

1-3 can be traversed as a proper spectrum, but being at 4 is binary - you either are completely, or you aren't and you cannot move into or out of after the age of ~8.

You might be at 3, meaning you have above average narcissistic traits, or you might have some other disorder that makes you perceive yourself in the way that you do. But no NPD, which is good news.

T

Thisisme373

thanks guys, I believe I have above average narcissist traits but don’t have NPD. From that table above what @GretaVon posted I think I would be 3 on the list.
Still I would like to try go against these traits as I don’t like them, is it possible to overcome them in time?

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

If you think you're a narcissist, especially if you feel bad about it, then you're not one. Narcissists don't think or care that they are.
This is MOSTLY true.

I have some narcissistic traits and technically satisfy the diagnostic criteria to have NPD, but I am self aware and so...I don't believe I'm truly full blown in that way.

@Thisisme373 you are definitely NOT doomed. You sound like someone who has some mild narcissistic traits (all of us have some) and who is trying to be a better person, which is a good thing!

SoftRain

SoftRain

This is MOSTLY true.

I have some narcissistic traits and technically satisfy the diagnostic criteria to have NPD, but I am self aware and so...I don't believe I'm truly full blown in that way.

@Thisisme373 you are definitely NOT doomed. You sound like someone who has some mild narcissistic traits (all of us have some) and who is trying to be a better person, which is a good thing!
To see you post on here, you are very insightful and its hard for me to even see you have any disorders!

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

As many have pointed out, you definitely don't have NPD. The indicators for this in your posts are legion.

The Tudor Model assumes a spectrum of narcissistic tendencies as follows:

1. Empaths (least),
2. Normals,
3. Narcissistic people
4. Narcissists (NPD)

1-3 can be traversed as a proper spectrum, but being at 4 is binary - you either are completely, or you aren't and you cannot move into or out of after the age of ~8.

You might be at 3, meaning you have above average narcissistic traits, or you might have some other disorder that makes you perceive yourself in the way that you do. But no NPD, which is good news.
I'm a 3 I think even though I qualify as a 4. I also have BPD with high ASPD traits though, so that could complicate the NPD stuff.

To the very few people I deeply love, and to animals, I'm a 1. An empath. And to many people I have high cognitive empathy, but very low / no affective empathy.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

To see you post on here, you are very insightful and its hard for me to even see you have any disorders!
Omg, thank you! I WISH that were true!!!

You know why I post the way I do, and can understand certain things? Because I DO have so many disorders! lol

S

Siegfried

I hate to say it but I have been exploitive in the past with no regard to the other person, I notice I can lack empathy at times & I need validation/reassurance from others.

The thing is I certainly have some narcissistic traits. I am highly sensitive to criticism, I am selfish & can lie at times, I can also be manipulative.
This describes the average human being.

I don’t want to be this way, I want to be a good person...

I feel devastated that I am possibly narcissistic. When I think of it I believe some others have noticed that im not the nicest of people. I really don’t want to be toxic.
This does not seems to match with the usual mindset of an actual narcissist.

I think you may simply be an oversensitive individual too worried about behaviors that are very common. Not to say its a bad thing to try and improve.

T

Thisisme373

A big problem with me is I hyper focus on things until I can fully work them out or resolve them, also yes I am over sensitive, I do always worry if I have annoyed/offended people, trying to second guess everything, it’s tiring. Life is tiring.