• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Might have found a way to beat my depression

C

CodyG

Hi,

I have struggled with depression for 15 years or so now and may have found a simple way to beat my depression. I thought I would share because maybe it will help someone else and I’m curious to see if it works for others. I have been really happy for 2 months now using this method and am surprised because most of my other methods to cope only lasted a few days.

The method is simple. First you put your full concentration into activity, second you do a leisurely activity that requires little concentration to rest. Then repeat. I like to play guitar or do luminosity games on my iPad to concentrate and watch hgtv during rest period. I mostly concentrate during commercials.

I have a few theories as to why this works. One is depression is a disease of focusing on the negative. Focusing really hard on something neutral is like a safe haven from the negative focusing followed by an opportunity for joy during the rest period (happy tv show). The second is the concentration phase may release chemicals in the brain to recruit more brain activity to allow the concentration. These chemicals may have antidepressant effects.

Anyway I felt selfish hiding all this newfound bliss from others who suffer. I truly hope it helps someone else ❤

T

tonggau

I think it works for you because it stops rumination which is one of the things we do that maintain depression. Thanks for sharing.

A

aisha23

thanks for sharing this.

it's great to read you have found something that works

glad you could share it with us all here