• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

microdosing hallucinogenics for BPD

HLon99

HLon99

Well put. Yes, depending on your condition and what you take, how you take it, if you have professional support during it, these are important factors. It can go sideways really easily and I didn't mean to make it sound like it's the answer for everyone. I don't even know if it'll be the answer for me, just feel desperate after all these years on meds that aren't working. I'm hopeful re the mushrooms under medical supervision, but realise it's not for everyone.
I'm sorry that you haven't had any luck with conventional medications, however I do not think that mushrooms are the answer. Bordeline personality disorder is called 'borderline' for a reason; because it is on the border between neurosis and psychosis. Hallucinogens, which have been proven to have one of the highest rates of conversion to psychosis out of any drugs, second only to cannabis, will likely only add fuel to the fire.

2Much2Feel

I'm sorry that you haven't had any luck with conventional medications, however I do not think that mushrooms are the answer. Bordeline personality disorder is called 'borderline' for a reason; because it is on the border between neurosis and psychosis. Hallucinogens, which have been proven to have one of the highest rates of conversion to psychosis out of any drugs, second only to cannabis, will likely only add fuel to the fire.
Yikes. Will do more research on it. BPD sucks. Thank you.❤

Karmaman

Karmaman

Maybe micro-dosing psychedelics might help some people but I wouldn't mess with high doses of mushrooms or LSD if your feeling fragile mentally.

2Much2Feel

Yes, the studies are encouraging, and they are going to do ones on people with borderline. It's like the one condition that I keep hearing is "hopeless" and hardest to treat. Not that encouraging to hear that. I did the ketamine IV, I had never done hallucinogens and never planned to, but I was feeling so bad that I just gave up the ghost and did it. It helped a lot for about 3 mos, just really expensive. I hope to hear more positive things about micro with mushrooms in a controlled environment. This is what I'm clinging to.

HLon99

HLon99

Yikes. Will do more research on it. BPD sucks. Thank you.❤
You're welcome. Remember, not all what shines is gold. There is a lot of excitement and buzz surrounding these 'novel' cures for mental health disorders; however they are unproven and a lot of them go against the current proven models of mental illness and their treatments. Its like back in the 19th centuary when all kinds of 'miracle elixirs' containing drugs such as cocaine and morphine were marketed to cure all illnesses. Of course nowadays, it is a lot harder to get a medicine approved for use, but so called 'doctors' use the loophole for 'research programmes' to charge extortionate fees for their quack medicines. There is a cottage industry of these treatments that only serve to give false hope to the desperate. You said so yourself how expensive these programmes are.

If something is too good to be true it usually is. And even if there is some evidence to suggest their use do you really want to be a guinea pig? Wouldn't you rather stick with tried and true methods e.g. exercise, mindfullness and DBT?

2Much2Feel

You're welcome. Remember, not all what shines is gold. There is a lot of excitement and buzz surrounding these 'novel' cures for mental health disorders; however they are unproven and a lot of them go against the current proven models of mental illness and their treatments. Its like back in the 19th centuary when all kinds of 'miracle elixirs' containing drugs such as cocaine and morphine were marketed to cure all illnesses. Of course nowadays, it is a lot harder to get a medicine approved for use, but so called 'doctors' use the loophole for 'research programmes' to charge extortionate fees for their quack medicines. There is a cottage industry of these treatments that only serve to give false hope to the desperate. You said so yourself how expensive these programmes are.

If something is too good to be true it usually is. And even if there is some evidence to suggest their use do you really want to be a guinea pig? Wouldn't you rather stick with tried and true methods e.g. exercise, mindfullness and DBT?
I've tried all of those, I fail every time.

A

adam_goldstein

In high school and through college, prior to my actual diagnosis of BPD, i regularly used hallucinogenics (both shrooms and LSD) to help cope with my various mental health episodes. Although i don't still use these methods, i still think this was the MOST HELPFUL thing i have ever taken/done for my mental health. Literally saved me from myself multiple times.

If you don't have much experience, start very low dosage and see how you feel/how it effects you.

2Much2Feel

In high school and through college, prior to my actual diagnosis of BPD, i regularly used hallucinogenics (both shrooms and LSD) to help cope with my various mental health episodes. Although i don't still use these methods, i still think this was the MOST HELPFUL thing i have ever taken/done for my mental health. Literally saved me from myself multiple times.

If you don't have much experience, start very low dosage and see how you feel/how it effects you.
That's really hopeful to hear. I keep hearing pushback on it, people saying it is bad and makes things worse, but from the studies Johns Hopkins and others are doing with these drugs in small doses, in a medical setting, it sounds like the most hopeful thing I've come across in 30 years. I know ketamine helped a ton, but it's super expensive and only lasted about 3 mos. Going to try esketamine next month; these hallucinogens can get a bad wrap, but they make a lot of sense to me, creating new pathways in the brain. After so many years on pills that haven't helped, I'm def open to trying it.

H

Huntergreen

I get you have done your research and you seem very switched on with what you are talking about.

I’m all for this sort of stuff but in controlled environments. Please please please be carful you are basically being the judge and jury here. Be safe.

2Much2Feel

I get you have done your research and you seem very switched on with what you are talking about.

I’m all for this sort of stuff but in controlled environments. Please please please be carful you are basically being the judge and jury here. Be safe.
Yes, it's super scary to think of doing this, but in a controlled environment w a doctor, w v small doses, hoping it can help. I know it can make things worse for some people, but I feel like if I told the world what SSRIs did to me, no one would ever take those, either. Different things work for different people and the more research I'm doing on this, the more I'm hellbent on doing it. There are a lot of promising studies coming out, and I will continue to follow what's going on w those before making any big decisions. Thank you.