• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

microdosing hallucinogenics for BPD

L

LostWithBPD

so its been a while since I've posted here. I've been trying to find my way with therapy and anti-depressants - with very little success.

Yesterday I microdosed psilocybin (magic mushrooms) - 0.1g. Today I feel normal. The same sort of normal I experience the day after heavy drinking - when the nervous system is depressed.

I'm trying not to get too excited about the results.

Does anyone else have any experience of microdosin either mushrooms or LSD to treat borderline personality disorder?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Are you still taking the antidepressants?

I wonder if you are expecting a quick fix or full recovery and are using the magic mushrooms like people would use alcohol and other drugs, to cope with how you feel. Is that not a slippery slope?

I don't know, it is just a thought. Is it an unhealthy and dangerous way to cope?

L

LostWithBPD

I'm not sure I see the difference between using prescription drugs and natural drugs.

The effect of the micro-dose is better than any prescription drugs I've taken. psychedelics are anti-addictive - you can not become addicted to them, in fact they are often used to treat addictions to other substances.

A micro-dose is a dose so small that you don't feel any effect. If you feel any effect from the drug, i.e. in any way high, or anything close to tripping - then you've taken too much. 0.1g is approximately 1/10 of what would normally be consumed when using psilocybin for a full strength trip.

There's a lot of medical research that has been undertaken in the UK in using psychedelic drugs to treat depression. When studied in MRI machines, patients who use psychedelics show increased brain activity - more neurons messaging each other. More so than a patient who has not consumed psychedelics.

From what little I understand of BPD, the effect of trauma in early life, prevents the brain from forming as it normally would. Like a coral or plant that sees no reason to grow in a particular direction due to its environment, the brain does not fully develop in the areas that handle emotion - primarily the prefrontal cortex.

I'm speculating that by micro-dosing, the neurons in my brain are now able to communicate in a more normal fashion.

Its well known that patients who suffer from BPD rely heavily on alcohol + cannabis - both known to reduce emotion within the nervous system - because they're depresants. Both alcohol and cannabis are damaging to the human body and mind. I have used both heavily throughout my life, and suffer from psychosis when using cannabis. I have liver damage and have had to have my gallbladder removed due to excessive alcohol consumption.

I'm not saying that using a substance to try and regulate emotion is a good thing, but if the brain is damaged - how is it different to using a prescription medication.

I am currently tapering myself off sertraline - which has caused me huge problems with my heart rhythm. My resting heart rate has gone from 40-45 to over 100bpm with the antidepressant. It prevents me from sleeping, and leaves me in danger of cardiac arrest or SADS.

You cannot micro-dose daily, every 3 days at most. I will report back as my experiment continues.

L

LostWithBPD

I'm not sure I see the difference between using prescription drugs and natural drugs.

The effect of the micro-dose is better than any prescription drugs I've taken. psychedelics are anti-addictive - you can not become addicted to them, in fact they are often used to treat addictions to other substances.

A micro-dose is a dose so small that you don't feel any effect. If you feel any effect from the drug, i.e. in any way high, or anything close to tripping - then you've taken too much. 0.1g is approximately 1/10 of what would normally be consumed when using psilocybin for a full strength trip.

There's a lot of medical research that has been undertaken in the UK in using psychedelic drugs to treat depression. When studied in MRI machines, patients who use psychedelics show increased brain activity - more neurons messaging each other. More so than a patient who has not consumed psychedelics.

Look up psilocybin trials at Kings College London. There is an extensive description of the research.

From what little I understand of BPD, the effect of trauma in early life, prevents the brain from forming as it normally would. Like a coral or plant that sees no reason to grow in a particular direction due to its environment, the brain does not fully develop in the areas that handle emotion - primarily the prefrontal cortex.

I'm speculating that by micro-dosing, the neurons in my brain are now able to communicate in a more normal fashion.

Its well known that patients who suffer from BPD rely heavily on alcohol + cannabis - both known to reduce emotion within the nervous system - because they're depresants. Both alcohol and cannabis are damaging to the human body and mind. I have used both heavily throughout my life, and suffer from psychosis when using cannabis. I have liver damage and have had to have my gallbladder removed due to excessive alcohol consumption.

I'm not saying that using a substance to try and regulate emotion is a good thing, but if the brain is damaged - how is it different to using a prescription medication.

I am currently tapering myself off sertraline - which has caused me huge problems with my heart rhythm. My resting heart rate has gone from 40-45 to over 100bpm with the antidepressant. It prevents me from sleeping, and leaves me in danger of cardiac arrest or SADS.

You cannot micro-dose daily, every 3 days at most. I will report back as my experiment continues.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for people to critique my approach, I'm asking whether anyone has any similar experience, they can share

L

LostWithBPD

another interesting piece of information on the subject can be found if searching for a podcast by Dr James Fadiman and Dr Sophia Korb

W

WhySoSerious

I personally advise to keep WELL away from any non-prescription drugs but that is personally my preference. For me its way too risky if I don't know exactly what I am taking and unless its from a lab how can I be sure.

Good luck! Personally I'd have thought if this was effective the medical profession would already have figured it.

L

LostWithBPD

again, not looking for advice from those with no experience.

if you look at the research currently being undertaken at King College, you'll see that, that is exactly what they are in the process of doing.

The prescription drugs I'm currently stopping came from a lab - they're giving me irregular heart rhythms. They killed two people in the UK last year. If you feel prescription drugs are safer, you stick to them.

Thats the great thing about us humans, we're constantly moving forward - everything is not already known ;-)

L

LostWithBPD

ok first update. I've just discovered you MUST NOT take psychadelics with any SSRI - it increases the risk of seratonin syndrome. seratonin syndrome can be fatal. I've worked this out by chance, and will wait until the end of my taper to continue with the experiment

C

Coolname

ok first update. I've just discovered you MUST NOT take psychadelics with any SSRI - it increases the risk of seratonin syndrome. seratonin syndrome can be fatal. I've worked this out by chance, and will wait until the end of my taper to continue with the experiment
This is an area that I am interested in. I'd be grateful if you keep us informed.

2Much2Feel

I personally advise to keep WELL away from any non-prescription drugs but that is personally my preference. For me its way too risky if I don't know exactly what I am taking and unless its from a lab how can I be sure.

Good luck! Personally I'd have thought if this was effective the medical profession would already have figured it.
Agree with LostWithBPD. The research is very promising re mushrooms for depression, PTSD, and anxiety. Johns Hopkins recently did a study on it that brought me so much hope. Oregon just legalised the use of it this year, so I will be going there as soon as they open clinics and have the therapists who are trained in using this! The amount of damage caused by traditional "acceptable" antidepressants cannot be overstated. I've been on them for 35 years, and just now am being told of various health conditions caused by them, including memory loss, heart conditions, and a lot of increased risk for variety of cardiac and liver issues. And, to top it off, I'm still suicidal and depressed and anxious, only now I'm hooked on 4 medications. They do not work for BPD. They help a bit with depression and anxiety. But obviously not for a lot of people.

There is no way anyone will convince me that a mushroom is somehow more dangerous than these synthetic pills that pharmaceutical companies get rich off of and our doctors get kickbacks to push them on everyone with an issue, few questions asked. Not even going into the hell of trying to then get off of them once your body has adjusted to them. You don't get addicted to mushrooms, use them far less frequently, they offer much faster relief, and there has been a lot of convincing and clear evidence of their efficacy. I have nothing but hope for the future with this. Also did ketamine injections, btw, which were amazingly effective right away. Just way too expensive. These hallucinogens open up pathways we haven't used and help us get out of the ones we are stuck in from trauma and the repetitive ruminations, etc.

I wish you so much luck, LostWithBPD and look forward to hearing more! Please keep us updated.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Testing and monitoring
Symptom specific treatment
Side effects monitored
Warnings over pregnanancy
Illegal drugs are completely different

2Much2Feel

Well, fortunately they are getting legalised in more places and will no longer be "illegal drugs" due to the "testing and monitoring" that is showing these specific ones have side effects that are not as dangerous as many "legal" drugs. I wouldn't recommend any drug for a pregnant woman, personally, but that's just common sense.

HLon99

HLon99

I personally have not, but I had a friend who started microdosing on acid when he was depressed. Within two weeks, he started hallucinating ghosts that were haunting him. In my experience taking drugs (no matter the quantity) when you have a mental health condition is about as wise as smoking a cigarette at a petrol station.

2Much2Feel

I personally have not, but I had a friend who started microdosing on acid when he was depressed. Within two weeks, he started hallucinating ghosts that were haunting him. In my experience taking drugs (no matter the quantity) when you have a mental health condition is about as wise as smoking a cigarette at a petrol station.
Well put. Yes, depending on your condition and what you take, how you take it, if you have professional support during it, these are important factors. It can go sideways really easily and I didn't mean to make it sound like it's the answer for everyone. I don't even know if it'll be the answer for me, just feel desperate after all these years on meds that aren't working. I'm hopeful re the mushrooms under medical supervision, but realise it's not for everyone.