• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

MHU Docs are a joke

E

ellabee

does anyone else think their mhu doc is a complete idiot. I crash they dont care they want to change my meds they want this and that. and when i need them suddenly i get answerphones or they cant talk.

I hate this condition and i just cant see myself living the rest of my life this way arrggghhhh:evil:

A

angel10

I know exactly how ya feeling. I'm now at the point where I don't want to live like this anymore but I can't see a way out.

dib4uk

dib4uk

I'm sorry that both of you have had hard times with the mental health units in your respecitve areas. Not to sure what to say that that maybe if you voice your opinions in a constractive way then it might be able to be resolved?

epic fale boy

epic fale boy

i have an appointment with my psych tomorrow... last time i told him i thought about suicide all the time (not surprising really - a worthless, non-contributive life of self-destruction with no saving graces, then half the friends I made in rehab topped themselves. w00t) but that i didn't think i would because I've a tissue thin layer of self-objectification which means I can avoid the pain (it's happening to an 'object' see? "I" just happen to be in the object at the same time) and as long as there's news to watch and football being played I can distract myself from the shit... and the reason i ain't doing meds again is coz the citalopram ripped that tissue away and i was TERRIFIED by the sudden lack of protection...

it got written up as 'never thinks about suicide'. I can't work out what to say to him tomorrow... it's definitely not what I said, and I'm sure he was making notes...

for years and years and years I've been going to doctors and trying to explain there's a problem but coz I'm articulate and (back to the self-objectification) I present a front of normality (can't let 'real people' see me vulnerable... not even when I want to...) ... I'm ignored, or worse treated as if I'm lying my arse off.. I'm half tempted to engineer a 'safe' overdose and scream negligence (jkn).

(should this have gone in the tuppence worth section?)

W

warriorprincess

Absolutely not worth tuppence. For what it's worth it was very enjoyable to read, not because of the issues that surround it, but you are right in being articulate. Right, now with the dilemma that is Mental Health care...

I totally agree in that I present too well in front of the psychiatrists, or like you - they seem to miss the relevant parts. It's a shame because I've bothered in the ast with all the detailed beautiful stuff that should spell it all right out, but that seems to do me no favours. Yet they are never there when I'm having my severe moments. It's amazing what you can say and they don't seem to hear it. I've been told before that I was suicidal the day after seeing someone, when in actual fact I'd said I had had thoughts of harming myself but something was keeping me from doing so! So fair cop I was ok, just being honest, but if I had have been suicidal they'd have left me that whole day? Ha bloody ha?! I just don't get it.

What I can say in light of everything is that I now have a care coordinator after I've pushed this time. ( I have a lot at stake - my relationship with my daughters dad, and my pregnancy with our second child) so I know this time I have to sit through it all and push them to help me. Before it's never mattered so much, and I've, for want of a better term, given up, and walked away from the crippled hand of the mental health treatment. But this time I have to somehow plow on through, as much as it feels like crashing into a brick wall appointment after appointment. I have hope I guess, because I really have to, and in coming on this forum, I have seen people who have had great care and seem to be at a place where I want to be in life - by no means stable but getting there at least.

I would recommend you push to see as many doctors as possible, tell them you are not being understood. I'm sure you could write a very constructive letter with your talent, and that may help if sent to the right person.

I'm very new to all this, and I'm sorry I think most of this may seem negative, but it's how I am feeling, and I have to say I feel more positive I'm getting nearer the right path just lately, after years of chasing it all up and then away again. I hope you get some positivity out of this anyway, in that you are bigger than all of this and I think you have it in you to get the help you need.
As for feeling useless, i'm hoping by taking these steps I will start to feel more worthy, it's just a case of lots of small steps.

Good luck, and let me know how you're going x