• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

MH Records???

shaun3210

shaun3210

Is it possible to request to see or have a copy of them???

Cheer’s :)

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
I don't actually know the answer - sorry - but I suspect they can withhold if it deemed to be in your best interests.

You would be expected to pay an administration fee.

ttp://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1990/ukpga_19900023_en_1

"Cases where right of access may be partially excluded

(1) Access shall not be given under section 3(2) above to any part of a health record—

(a) which, in the opinion of the holder of the record, would disclose—

(i) information likely to cause serious harm to the physical or mental health of the patient or of any other individual;"

Still, doesn't hurt to ask.

A

Apotheosis

At the LMHT in this area; they have amassed a file from the past 4 odd years - it is large - telephone directory size. Apparently they don't have any of my notes from before then; the previous 15 years. I have no real idea of what is in the present file; & not what is in the original notes. When in hospital I always used to request to see my notes. The always used to show me this small folder with around 3 pages of notes in it, lol, can't have someone on section seeing what the shrinks have written. I don't really care any more what they have written down about me. It may be interesting to read through them all; but I think that I would be there a long time, & even if I requested to see all the notes, I very much doubt that I would get to see them all.

I have also over recent years taken to writing reams of stuff which I often type up & take in to the psych appointments, & often write letters to the psych. They are all on file too. So I've had some direct input into my own file.

From having moved around areas a fair amount, the GP surgery has lost all of my medical notes from before I was 16; gone.

I wouldn't worry too much shaun.

W

Wonky

You absolutely can see your records - it is your right under the Data Protection Act. However GrizzlyBear is right about the best interests bit - your psychiatrist will need to give his/her permission in case there is something that might be detrimental for you to see.

If you are under a community team that is probably part of your local mental NHS Trust. The Trust should have a data protection office and you can apply through them. They will probably send you a form to fill in. Find out if your Trust has a PALS (patient advice and liasion service), they can advise you.

Under the Data Protection Act your Trust must give you access to your records within a set time frame (assuming your psychiatrist hasn't put a block up) - I think its something like 40 days, not sure, but it is a very clear deadline (ask your PALS about this).

Be aware, depending on how long you've been a patient and the records set up within your Trust, that you may have both electronic and paper records. Your Trust's electronic system (computer records system) probably has a number of parts, e.g different files for clinical notes and any letters or emails written my the MH staff who treat you. Make it clear that you want to see/ have copies of ALL your electronic records and any paper records.

My advice is take a very neutral attitude about what you will read. It is not unknown for records made by senior MH staff to contain misleading information and downright lies!

Re. administration fee - two MH Trusts in my part of the country don't charge current or former patients, but I don't know whether this is something at the discretion of individual Trust.

Last edited:
Q

quality factor

Hi, I recently requested to see the past 3 years records whilst I've been under new care.
I had to pay, but can't remember how much!!
It was like getting blood out of a stone literally, I found that the words freedom of Information Act were just words.
There was nothing unexpected to see in them, but I suspect pieces had been removed.
If I had wanted to see all my notes from over the past 30 years it would have been an expensive do.

QF.

P

penelope

medical records

Yes you can . Send a letter to the mental health resord and if you are on benefits you will not have to pay.
I have mine but I feel some are missing. They do not have to tell you if there are some missing. This defeats the object as They have the power to dictate what you can or not see. So if you want to see them go for it. They say they may withhold records than can have undesired affects on the client that can cause severe distress or harm. (y)

shaun3210

shaun3210

It hasn’t got to the point where I need to do this yet, but thanks for the useful info :)

Better knowing where I stand beforehand ;)

W

Wonky

I am sorry to say that the sceptism expressed in this thread about records being tampered with before you see them (bits taken out) and the difficulty in actually getting to see your records (blood out of a stone) is very valid.

P

penelope

medical records

The cost is £10 and goes up to £50 for non benefit people. You can go straight to the records yourself with a written letter . You will hear back within 21 days and they will endeavour to send the records within a 40 day period. If they cannot get hold of any records at 40 days they will send you another letter etc etc. I received mine by registered post.
I hope I didnt sound too sceptical in my last thread but I have an opinion. Good luck for the future x:)

Q

quality factor

With reference to the apparent sceptisim to records, I can clearly remember that I waited over the 40 day deadline,but opted not to pursue it with the Record Dept. My cpn ,at one point, asked if I received my records yet,to which I answered no,she wasn't pleased because she said it had taken her ages to put them together for the records dept. This begs the question, what exactly had she been getting ready? which in turn led to my suspicion that things had been removed or erased.
Realistically they are not going to leave themselves open to criticism by what they write, they are covering their own backs at the end of the day.

QF.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
I am sure that the cynicism about records being tampered with is correct and really this is a bit off-topic but it is one of my MH yarns (which I bore people with). Years ago when I was on a merry-go-round of new psychiatrists I went to see yet another new one and he started reading from a folder. I knew it couldn't be mine as it was much thinner (by now my file is enormous but even then it was a lot thicker than this). So I was feeling a bit devilish and just let him go on reading. Then he started asking me questions - none of which of course remotely related to anything to do with me - you are taking x med? no, you are taking y med? no ; it took him about five questions before he looked at the name on the front of the file and asked are you z? Then I did have to admit I wasn't!

Nick.

W

Wonky

How about a psychiatrist, who had been seeing you for more than a year, referring you to a unit and adding a completely spurious diagnosis to the referral letter? And you are completely amazed and wonder, "where the hell did he get that from?"

Last edited:
nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Yes well that is terrible. I didn't mean to imply that the issue wasn't serious by bringing in a joky example.

Nick.

W

Wonky

Yes well that is terrible. I didn't mean to imply that the issue wasn't serious by bringing in a joky example.

Nick.
No prob, Nick. In no way was I berating you for trivilising things.

re. the psychiatrist I have referred to - how about him filling in forms relating to specific periods when he didn't see you, and also giving ratings for specific things he had never asked you about? Some people might call that deliberately putting false information in a patient's records.

Last edited: