• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

meth psychosis -hearing voices- need HELP

M

moonskifter

"She is stupid" This is repeated every second of every hour of every day pretty much for over a year now..... I'm close to giving up and need help coping.
I am 7 months sober. Every day it makes assumptions that arent true about me, accuses me of being high, tells me to stop acting in a way that I am ONLY acting that way BECAUSE of the voice! It complains about thoughts I have. it wants me to stop living my life, to stop doing daily activities i enjoy and calls them stupid. I refuse and I am REPULSED to have this horrible bully in my head. It says things about me all day long as if it is the worst spy in history, letting me hear it report eveyrthing i am doing. I know its a delusion and not a real person but that doesnt make it any less creepy and intrusive. Does anyone else have psychosis stories, advice, etc?
It is the cause of me posting this, yet it hates ME for it, when it is the cause of it. wow. how can i get rid of this ignorant voice? It hates me for posting this yet I would not need to if it would shut up. Any help for explaining to an ignorant person like this also? It is interactive with me and I need to survive this delusion.

albie

albie

Sounds familiar to me. I have tried meditation to quieten my mind. I also try to recite a phrase in my head over and over just to get some peace.

N

NissanGTRR35

Hi Moonskifter,

Sorry to read your situation. The best answer is to try and ignore the voice as best you can! Try to keep your mind busy by doing something. If sat doing nothing then do a word search or crossword etc and maybe have some music playing to help try and take your mind off the voice.

I've been in a similar situation to you and the best solution was to totally ignore them, however if I did occasionally "Speak" back then also I would not to get angry at myself for doing it. It did take about 2 years off practicing not responding before I could decide if I reacted or not! I also made a vow to myself to never let the voices make me angry because if they did then they are winning.

Several years ago someone said to me "When a situation is beyond your control, challenge yourself to how you respond to it BECAUSE THAT is where YOUR POWER is". Using that statement when hearing voices I thought - Hearing the voices is beyond my control, HOWEVER I do have the power to decide how I'm going to respond to the voices.

My voices kept repeating lies, threats and negative statements, same as yours, over and over. They reminded me of someone who likes to wind people up and those sort of people like to get a reaction and if they get no reaction then it is boring for them and they tend to move on!

I also turned the Negatives into Positives, so for example when they would threaten to kill me 100+ times per day and then later say they'd let me off I just didn't believe they could anyway.

However it dawned on me one day, Letting me off / Forgiving me is actually a Positive thing to do and Forgiveness is actually a form of Love. Every time they threatened me after I realised this I would wait for the "We've let you off" or words to that effect and point out to the voice that whilst the threat may of been negative the outcome has been to show me positive / love energy. Sometimes they'd try and be clever and say they were still deciding when to kill me etc, however time is passing and so again they are letting you live longer than if they done it straight away, again that's positive! Just for the record, I don't believe anything spiritual etc can kill you. The only way they can in effect is to try and convince you that you are no good and convince you to commit suicide! Funny enough since pointing out how positive and forgiving that are I don't get many threats anymore!

Also, if you are fed up with the voices seem to repeat your thoughts or forever jumping in and commenting on your thoughts I found that changing how I think meant they were unable to hear my thoughts. What I mean by that is we generally think one of two ways. They first way is actually using words, almost as if we are speaking them inside our head. The same for example like when we read a book we speak the words in our head. The other way we think is without words, sounds crazy I know! However if you think about it then very often we are thinking about maybe what you are going to have for dinner tonight and if you need to go shopping etc and you have thought all of that without speaking a word in your head. I'm not a brain expert, however those no worded thoughts never get commented on. If you're not sure of what I mean by "Non worded thought" then sing a song and think at the same time because the song will occupy the worded side of your thoughts.

Anyway, whatever the cause is of your voices, just KNOW in yourself that you are much better than the things it is saying to you!! If its a Mental Illness Voice then the words are coming from nowhere except in your own brain so don't pay any heed to what words the voices speak after all its only you. If it's some sort of Spiritual voice then obviously its Negative and feeds on Negative / Bad energy and is only saying all those things to make you feel bad. Feeling bad is going to give off Negative energy and so they can have a feast which is all they care about. Ultimately they'll get hungry for negative energy and if you're not giving any then they'll move on although this can take time.

Stay strong, stay positive and try not to get frustrated! You will get there and there is always light at the end of the tunnel
Phil