• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Meth and Anorexia

K

Katie

The meth makes my eating disorder worsen,
and the eating disorder makes my drug problem worsen.

The meth use supresses appetite and then the effects of starvation trigger my anorexia, then the anorexia makes me think I want more meth even when I'm not 'hanging out' for it, just to continue to suppress appetite and burn fat.

Anytime I am heading towards recovery from anorexia, the meth addiction triggers it off again, and anytime I'm getting clean, the anorexia makes me get back into the drug use.

It's a nasty little partnership there, anyone else have similar issue to this? how do you cope?

I think if I never had anorexia, I would've got and stayed off the drugs a long time ago,
or if I never used drugs, I would've recovered from my eating disorder by now.

Last edited:
K

Katie

Thanks for the link.
Just took a look at the New Zealand link from that site, I don't think it's for me.
I couldn't sit and hold hands and have a prayer, it's against my beliefs, I would get up and walk out. If they kept the god storey at the churches and out of the NA maybe I would go.
I appreciate your posting the link for me to check out though.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Apotheosis

If they kept the god storey at the churches and out of the NA maybe I would go.
Well yes, they use the word "God" & that puts a lot of people off. It is however Non religious & based upon "God as We understand Him, Her, it, Them etc". Religious people are not excluded, no one is excluded. You do get some religious types who go; but I have met & heard of a fair few Atheists who attend NA & 12 step groups; who are also accepted the same. If you have addiction problems; & you want to stop, there are different methods which help, but what options are open to get clean?

(Sorry edited your post by accident instead of quoting it - but put it back to how it was originally :redface:)

K

Katie

hmmm..
maybe I should go, and just refuse the holding hand and praying part, do you think they will get mad at me? one way to find out I suppose.

A

Apotheosis

hmmm..
maybe I should go, and just refuse the holding hand and praying part, do you think they will get mad at me? one way to find out I suppose.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. There is no pressure at meetings. No they would not get mad, that isn't what it is about.

Try this Link -

http://www.na.org/ips/eng/index.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page. There are the 7 "Group Readings" which are read out at the start of each meeting.

Here is a section from "What Is the Narcotics Anonymous Program?"

There are no strings attached to NA. We are not affiliated
with any other organizations. We have no initiation fees or
dues, no pledges to sign, no promises to make to anyone.
We are not connected with any political, religious, or law
enforcement groups, and are under no surveillance at any
time. Anyone may join us regardless of age, race, sexual
identity, creed, religion, or lack of religion.
I don't want to promote this stuff. Simply to say that put simply, the meetings are simply a bunch of "Normal" people getting together in a room to help each other stay clean & help other people get clean. It does work for people if that is what they want. Of course it isn't perfect, is anything? But as a method of achieving sobriety, well it works. If you go to a meeting, they won't make you sign your life away in a blood pact. lol. They are friendly places. Really, there is nothing to loose by going, if you decide you don't like it & it isn't for you, well, nothing has changed. Usually if you ring the local NA helpline, you can chat to someone about going, & usually meet up with someone for a chat before you go to a meeting, or they would accompany you to one.

K

Katie

The new zealand NA website said there is holding hands and praying at the begining of every meeting, maybe your country is different.

A

Apotheosis

The new zealand NA website said there is holding hands and praying at the begining of every meeting, maybe your country is different.
At the end of the meeting people hold hands in a circle & say the serenity prayer, in the UK, but formats do vary in different countries. But if you expressed specifically that you didn't want to, or left the meeting before they do (or turn up late), then no one is going to force you to do anything you don't want to do.

bluenomore

bluenomore

Hi Katie,

I can't say I have experience of anorexia but I do have plenty experience of meth addiction, and i think I can see how the combination could be extremely problematic (as if one without the other is difficult enough).

My avatar is a photo of me holding a mirror. It was taken in a bungalow in Thailand a few yrs ago. I was addicted to Yaba at the time (was heavy into crystal meth in Oz before i got deported). Photo was taken a month or two before I had my first psychotic delusional episode. Last time i'd weighed myself I was less than 50kg.

I do sympathise with you and i can see how the two problems are related. All I can suggest is that you seek help. Posting here is a great start, but maybe you should see a doctor.

Good luck,

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
yeah i can se how those two are related. i havent taken meth amphetamine but i have taken speed and i didnt eat for days after that felt too ill. someone i heard of who had a really bad drug problem forced herself to eat 2 spoonfulls of chicken noodle and vegetable soup an hour from the chinese or home made has everythin in it the body needs. meth? what are you doing you'll kill yourself get some help.:confused: